“Fab chocolaterie”

Neighborhood: Le Marais
Sheffield, United Kingdom
“Fab chocolaterie”
Reviewed September 7, 2013 via mobile

The decoration is superb. It looks more like a jewel shop than a chocolate shop. Their service is really great, waitresses are friendly and attentive. Their hot chocolate is a must try! Probably one of the best hot chocs I have had, thick and creamy without being too sweet. Perfect the way it is without any sugar.

On a side note, their desserts look pretty good. Unfortunately I didnt order it because I was feeling quite full at that time. It's a shame that I find their chocolate is only average, although they have many flavours to offer. But I will definitely return for their hot chocolate and to try their beautiful desserts!

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
Los Angeles
“Don't leave Paris without trying the hot chocolate”
Reviewed August 20, 2013

We visited Jacques Genin on a Saturday evening in June just prior to their closing time. There were free tables and we sat down immediately.

We went to try the hot chocolate so we could compare it with Laduree. The hot chocolate at Jacques Genin wins. The consistency is thicker and creamier than that at Laduree. Amazing rich chocolate taste. (Note: I am not a hot chocolate drinker but I was curious to try hot chocolate that is considered to be one of the best in Paris).

The interior is sleek with wood floors and low slung chairs. The cream colored stone wall gives the space visual interest.

Everything about the interior is crisp and ultra clean. The serving ware is simple and white. There is good air conditioning.

I don't know Paris well but I found the location a bit out of the way. We combined our visit with a trip to Sacre Coeur. We walked from the Filles du Calvaire station and departed from the Temple station - they are each about the same distance from JG.

We bought samples of just about everything including the fruit squares, mango caramels, and chocolates - which come in unusual flavors. The standout, though, was the hot chocolate. You will not get anything like this back home; a truly wonderful and memorable drink.

Tip: One pot of hot chocolate would have been enough for the two of us.

1 Thank pricklypoppy
Denver, Colorado
“Excellent!”
Reviewed August 14, 2013

This place is a real treat! Lovely atmosphere to enjoy hot chocolate and pastry. Be prepared to wait a while for a table though. I didn't mind waiting since it game me the chance to peruse the beautiful chocolates, pate de fruit, and caramels. I bought a sampling of all of the above and we enjoyed a little each day for much of our trip. The chocolates have interesting flavors although some flavors come through stronger than others. My favorites were the pralines. The caramels are so soft and luscious - not like other caramels I've had. The mango caramel is amazing! And pate de fruit - I am a big fan and these were the perfect consistency and burst of fruit flavor. Lychee is my favorite!
Once we got seated we enjoyed decadent hot chocolate and pastry. The mille feuille was just ok in my opinion (looked better than tasted). By comparison the lemon tart (special of the day) was truly outstanding. I think there may have been a hint of basil? Whatever it was, it was delicious. It's not cheap but worth the splurge if you appreciate sweets.

2 Thank LettaWong
“Amazing hot chocolate”
Reviewed August 6, 2013

I have been here several times for the wonderful hot chocolate (and yummy mille-feuille). The staff treats customers with the greatest respect and is careful to pay attention to the small details (giving you a big glass of water with your hot chocolate, as well as some mini chocolates to taste). Sometimes, you have to wait a little bit in line for a table, but it's worth it! A definite must at any time of year!

• Visited July 2013
1 Thank travelingvoyager
Ballarat, Victoria, Australia
“World Class”
Reviewed July 30, 2013

This place is amazing, we went here on a Paris food tour and we were lucky enough to be staying close by so we could go back again.
The pastry is stunning - flaky and gorgeous, the chocolate is the most intense and realistic in flavour (mint is like a real mint leaf) and the jellies are more fruity than the fruit they are meant to be. The caramels were the highlight for me - they melt in your mouth and are so rich and buttery.
The tea room area is luxurious and spacious and your amazing dishes descend down from the exclusive kitchen above. Jacque Genin is a Paris institution and if you are the best in Paris, well your the best in the world.