“Fantastique!”
Review of Maxim Folies

Maxim Folies
Ranked #1,120 of 1,804 Hotels in Paris
Reviewed October 25, 2012

Having never been to Paris, we chose this hotel for three reasons. Firstly, it's close to Gare du Nord - so it's a quick RER train ride from Charles de Gaulle and easy to get to for the second leg of our trip, taking to Eurostar to London from the same station. Secondly, it's near a Metro station - Grands Boulevards is 5 minutes away. And thirdly, it looked fantastic. It was also pretty good value too, around €100 for an en-suite room with continental breakfast.

The hotel itself is very contemporary (which to me means it'll date soon but it looks great now), with lots of black, white and neon lime green. We checked in within two minutes and eventually found our room on the first floor (when the lift door opened, it looked like there were just three doors on the floor). The room itself was, in hindsight, quite small. I only say in hindsight because at the time it was perfect and I'd still maintain we did fine with the space but it was tiny and had virtually no storage. Not a problem for us, but it could be for some.

Given the space, a separate toilet was ingeniously squeezed into a small corridor-type arrangement beside the shower, which was deep inside an alcove. The upshot was that despite having no doorm or curtain, the spray from the shower didn't reach the toilet. Clever really, but it also meant no sink in the same room; that was at the main room door, at the end of the bed. Confused? It'll all make sense and honestly, Paris isn't the type of place I'd want to squander away in a hotel room (well, not all day anyway!).

The hotel wi-fi was awful. I'm not sure how, but despite more than adequate coverage, the routers never seemed to want to make friends with our phones. The only device guaranteed to connect was my Kindle Fire. We plan a lot through our phones when abroad, so wi-fi problems are a big headache. Thankfully, it worked enough for us to find two great restaurants.

The first is almost legendary and just a short walk from Hotel Gat Folies. Chartier on Rue du Faubourg Montmartre has been on the go since 1896 and serves a different menu every night (and when an item is gone, it's gone). You also can't book, you just queue up and hope for the best. And it's close on the best alright - we ate very well there on two nights - starters, mains, desserts, wine, beer and a side for under €50. We sat next to a Danish couple (you're put with strangers, so prepare to be chatty!) who've gone there every time they've been to Paris since the 70's and they said it's just as the remember - minus the sawdust.

The second place was Hugo's on Rue Papillion - again, high quality French dishes for normal prices served by people who are proud of their culinary heritage. Plus it was full of locals, which is always good!

As far as the hotel is concerned, no news is good news. Breakfast was fine (although UHT milk was a bit of a surprise on my cereal, I couldn't manage it!) and there were plenty of breads and a few pastries with really good coffee. It's not the type of place we wanted to hang around in but that's not a criticism. All we wanted was a clean, comfortable and central place in Paris that wouldn't cost the earth and in Hotel Gat Folies, we found it. Hopefully it stays that way!

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Maxim Folies

Reviewed October 22, 2012

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com
Reviewed August 27, 2012

Stayed in this hotel for 5nights, hotel got no mini bar fridge, extremely small "standard" rooms,had to pay for upgrade to a superior room, location is fine
No air condition, no cofe and tea maker, no caboards
Very small beds for couples
Same area best western would be better choice

Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Acid2000
Reviewed August 17, 2012

I've had possibly the best breakfast ever at Gat Folies. You have to be quite early though, since they may run out of some of the stuff if you go a bit late during the breakfast period. There were mini crepes, baguette with chopped tomatoes and olive oil, and an egg boiler so you can boil your own eggs to your liking (my favorite item here as I love soft-boiled egg), plus the usual stuff: croissants and various tidbits, juice, fruits.

Our room was really small. There was really not much place to move as it was full of the double bed. But it's very clean and has funky design. Location was not the best (a bit of walk along small alleyways), but it's pretty close to the Cadet station - which we used most of the time. I think there's another station close by as well.

Staff was nice. I left a tripod there and they kept it for me for months until a friend picked it up for me.

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 18, 2012

We stayed in Gat Folies for 3 nights while visiting Paris. It is well situated and close to the Metro. We walked more than once down to the Louvre from the as well and manged to catch the tour buses from there. The area has many beautiful restaurants and bars. We enjoyed staying here and the staff were very friendly. I had to mix a bit a work with pleasure however and the wireless which you can get all over the hotel was a little temperamental.

• Stayed: June 2012
1  Thank Warren P
Reviewed July 17, 2012

Location is close to Gare du Nord which was a benefit for us because we arrived from London and our next stop was Amsterdam, both of which this train station serves. The room was tiny…smaller than a cruise ship cabin; there was not much for storage room if you want to unpack. However, the room was very clean! Our room was located on the top floor…the positive is that there was no noise above us; the negative is that we only had a sky light to look out of, so we had to stand on tip toes to see outside…our view was the Folies Bergere! We did not opt for the breakfast at the hotel; there are bakeries in the neighborhood. Also, there was a little supermarket across the street but there was no refrigerator in the room. We were in Paris when there was a heat wave, and unfortunately, there was no air conditioning.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 8, 2012

Gat Folies is a lovely hotel. I visited Paris with a friend in June 2012 for 5 days and it was perfect for our trip! I would definitely stay here again and recommend it to anyone!

Great location. You can walk to loads of places! Even to the Louvre. Nearest station we always went to was Grand Boulevard, but also Cadet. Easy access and close to Gare du Nord.

We stayed in a standard double room and although not a massive room, I wouldn't say it was small.. it was big enough for two girls. The decor and furniture is trendy, modern, clean, almost ikea style but with a retro/feel.

The room has a MASSIVE double bed, that could easily fit 3 people! The most important factor to me was that it was really clean! Our room was cleaned everyday with fresh towels and I was really pleased about the service. The shower was hot, powerful and clean. Electronic safe was useful and the free WIFI was brilliant.

Lots of restaurants around the area. There's a handy supermarket across the street or if you walk towards Grand boulevard there's a Carefour City. Also O'Sullivans on Grand Boulevard is a really cool Irish Pub on the corner to go to! We didn't try the breakfast but walked to close bakeries in the morning. Its the best looking hotel on the street and I love the hotel sign at night.

The only thing I would say about the hotel is that is it really HOT. As soon as you walk in you can feel the heat. There is no AC only a fan (that we were very grateful for) in your room. We had to sleep with the window open. Also there is not much storage for your clothes, so we would just have to keep our clothes in our suitcases. It didn't really bother me but may bother other people.

I would definitely recommend to staying here though!

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a street facing view
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled with friends