“A fun and informative tour in beautiful Montmartre!”

Better Travel Photos
Ranked #104 of 560 Tours in Paris
More attraction details
Owner description: From several hours to several days, Better Travel Photos (Paris) offers instructional photo tours and destination portrait sessions in Paris. During the tours our instructors and guides provide one-on-one tutoring tailored to the skill level of every participant, all while introducing the hidden and not so hidden gems of the City of Light. Try this fun and educational way to discover new places.
Reviewed June 10, 2013

I was a little apprehensive about this tour given the bad weather the day of my tour and the fact that I was not a DSLR enthusiast (my wife is the generally the photographer of the family) coming into the tour, my experience was absolutely fantastic and I could not recommend it more to those interested in getting great photos of Paris and learning how to take better photos back at home. My guide and instructor, Brian Jannsen, was friendly and personable and an artist both with his camera and his ability to assess the knowledge of his student and provide instructions and guidance to quickly move you up the learning curve. While I entered not knowing much beyond the basics of aperture, shutter speed, etc., Brian quickly explained crucial concepts of focal length, walked me through many of my Canon 50D's settings, and taught me a great deal about framing the shot, using leading lines and the rule of 1/3's. By the end of the tour, I was looking at the picturesque landscapes, buildings and people of Paris completely differently, and trying to take what I had learned from Brian and share it with others. I hope to return to Paris again soon and bring my wife, and we will definitely sign up for another Better Paris Photos tour!

BPPhoto, Owner at Better Travel Photos, responded to this reviewResponded June 12, 2013

Thank you for your good words about your time with Brian. It is great to know you enjoyed the photo tour and learned at the same time. We look forward to seeing you again in the future for more learning fun!

Reviewed June 8, 2013

I'm a wannabe photographer and my wife's a point-and-shoot -- we both loved the morning we spent with Brian. Both of us learned a lot. He covered everything from the basics, more detailed info on how the dSLR works, to composition. We both gained a lot of ideas for experimenting and also for taking shots for the rest of our stay in Paris.

The time went by quickly and Brian always had a plan for the next step.

He was quite encouraging. And asked some leading questions for self evaluation, like, "what makes this work for you?" I found myself asking that question many times over the remainder of our trip. Also, how can you set this up to give better lines, more interest etc? And "Are you clipping anything on the edge of the frame?".

Now both Brian and my son will be sitting on my shoulder for every shot....

BPPhoto, Owner at Better Travel Photos, responded to this reviewResponded June 10, 2013

Thank you for sharing your comments about your time with Brian. Keep asking yourself those good photography questions before 'clicking'. We are also happy to know Brian (and your son) will accompany you everywhere you go with your camera! This really means a lot to us.

Reviewed June 6, 2013

This is a must for anyone interested in photography, even if the knowledge is limited!

Manon was an amazing guide/teacher. Time went by very quickly and we learned so much! Manon really takes the time to analyze all of your photos and helps you figure out what can be changed and what you did right. She is so full of information that it was a joy spending our day with her. I am incredibly thankful we had the opportunity to work with Better Paris Photos!

Thank you for your good words about Manon and the time you spent with her. This means a lot to us and we are happy you learned along her side. Good luck on your life long photographic journey and keep in touch by sending us photos once in a while.

Reviewed June 5, 2013

We booked the Notre Dame and the Seine River portrait session with Elena more than a year ago. It was one of the best memories we had in Paris! Especially when we travel we don't have a lot of (good) pictures with both of us in. So glad Elena helped us to capture our wonderful trip in Paris :)

1  Thank kamanchow
BPPhoto, Owner at Better Travel Photos, responded to this reviewResponded June 6, 2013

Thank you for sharing your comments about the portrait session you had with our photographer, Elena. We hope you continue to enjoy those photos for the years to come, bringing back happy memories of your time in Paris.

Reviewed June 4, 2013

I had just landed at 2 pm that afternoon and went straight to a 3 hr Louvre tour. So when the rain started pouring down for an hour straight before my 9:30pm photography tour I was finding every excuse not to go. I was jet lagged and not in the mood. I went and Brian showed up on time and we both chatted for a half hour waiting for the rain to subside. Brian offered to organise a full refund if the rain kept pouring but magically it stopped and I was happy it did. Brian was enthusiastic and a very good teacher. I know very little about photography except to point, focus and shoot. He taught me about the rule of thirds, how to frame a picture and how to set aperture settings. I left the tour smiling and feeling like I got my money's worth for sure. Brian even made sure I got on the subway and on the correct train to my hotel in the Latin Quarter. Funny enough, I was on a City Centre Walking tour the very next morning and we passed through the courtyard of the Louvre and who do I bump into but Brian. It felt like I ran into an old friend.
If I revisit Paris I will definitely try to participate in a full day's tour.

Ron

We certainly have had our share of rain this Spring! We are glad it stopped long enough for you to enjoy a night of photography with Brian and learned along his side. We look forward to seeing you again... You now have friends in Paris!