“Lovely restaurant”
Review of L'Auberge Cafe

L'Auberge Cafe
Reserve with
L'Auberge Cafe is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #5,050 of 18,002 Restaurants in Paris
Cuisines: French
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Neighborhood: Les Halles
Reviewed April 29, 2013

This restaurant was close to our hotel and we arrived in Paris starving after not eating lunch. We were walking around and saw it opened at 6pm so we realized we would not starve our first night in Paris. We told the proprietor we had not had lunch and he brought us some special appetizers to sustain us. We ordered the full compliment, appetizer, dinner and dessert and were so satisfied. I had the shrimp tartare appetizer and it was absolutely delicious. Sadly I am not an adventurous eater but I got my courage up to the challenge and was wowed. It was heaven. My duck was perfect. My husband enjoy his meal also. We were the only ones dining early and the proprietor was so very kind and thoughtful - and did not express judgement at our eating early. It was one of the best meals we had in Paris. The setting is ancient and just what you imagine you might find in Paris. We highly recommend this wonderful restaurant. Thank you for a lovely dinner for our first night in Paris.

2  Thank Sharon04Newton

Reviewed April 20, 2013 via mobile

This was our 3rd visit to L'Auberge Cafe in 3 years. We kept coming back because the food was so good. Past tense because today's experience was not so good. First of all the person who showed us our table hardly understood any French and told us the fish of the day was salmon, but she didn't know how it was prepared and had to ask the supervisor. When he came to take our orders, the fish was not salmon but a complete different fish. My starters in Paris is 90% of the time onion soup: today's was the worst I ever had (and I already ordered French onion soup in the USA) it had an unidentifiable spice in it which for me didn't make it taste like onion soup at all. The mains: I took the roast duck and I have to say they are magicians with the vegetables... What looks like spring onion or a small leek actually tastes like fennel! A real turn off! Other vegetables on the plate, apart from the 2 parts of potato are still unknown to me... The duck tasted like duck, luckily.
My partner took a vegetable terinne as a starter which was OK and veal which was also OK, nothing more. I don't know if and when we will come back here, but today was certainly not the fine dining we had in the past.

In Europe the custom is to wait until everone at the table has finished before removing plates, but while I was still eating my partner's plate was already removed without asking anything.

The interior is as already describe cosy but the ceiling is very low upstairs.

1  Thank Dany_C_71
Reviewed February 12, 2013

The restaurant is located in the centre of Paris, in a small street across rue de Rivoli and the Quai, so ideal for after or even pre dinner walks.
Menu: limited choice, but all of good quality. Menu formulas make it a little cheaper than usual.
Restaurant: small and tiny, with an upstair room in which you can't stand up straight. It is the typical parisian restaurant, very cosy and romantic. Decoration is awesome!

Reviewed January 15, 2013 via mobile

After we did try many places to eat in Paris we where very happy to find this place. Way better food and service than many of the other overpriced places we been too. I'am sure that we will eat here again someday..

Reviewed January 6, 2013

By far the best meal we ate whilst on our four day break in Paris, although strangely rated the lowest of the four on trip advisor - which we used to plan all of our meals out.

They seem to have got the the mixture of traditional French and contemporary cuisine spot on. A lovely building/ environment, excellent service despite a busy night and full house, a helpful and patient waiter given our French is not fluent.

The food itself was excellent, cooked to perfection and well presented.

All in all a class act and definitely worth a visit. Good value for money too, with three courses each and a decent bottle of wine between the two of us for less than 100 euros. Highly recommended, thank you.