“Location, location, location...”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Hamburg, Germany
“Location, location, location...”
Reviewed April 14, 2013

We were traveling to Paris in November 2012 for 5 days with my husband, and he has booked this hotel considering the good reviews on Tripadvisor. All in all we were satisfied with the hotel with some reservations. Here comes our review:

Rooms: In Paris everything is "Petit", so are the rooms of Secret de Paris! We had the Opera room as far as I remember. Each and every room has a concept in Secret de Paris and rooms have everything you may need. A mini bar, good but small storage space for clothes and a really nice bathroom with Jacuzzi. In a metropol like Paris, suffering from lack of water, I find having jacuzzi in the room a great luxury! The complementaries provided in the bathroom where also in high quality.

Location: This is the reason why we would stay again in Secret de Paris! Close to Opera, Moulin Rouge,Galerie lafayette, and all shopping attractions, close to Montmartre and French local bistros! Great location for walking trips and also super easy access to public transportation! Superb location!

Restaurant and food: We did have neither breakfast nor dinner at hotel ,so no comment.

Service: Informative and helpful staff, only disappointment was the bad restaurant tipp from reception- L'arome:(

Leisure: Hotel provides small but nice sauna, steam room facilities and training area. We have used it, and it was clean and nice.

Price Performance: It is Paris, not everything is "that" expensive but the accomodation! As I have mentioned my husband has booked the room, if I was booking I would not have paid for a 16 sqm room even in Paris €280 per night! So price performance is not satisfactory.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
26609991, Directeur général at Hotel Design Secret de Paris, responded to this review, April 17, 2013
Dear Yaseminb,

Greetings from Secret de Paris! And thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us on Tripadvisor.I am very thankful for your kind words about our Hydromassage bathtub and I am delighted that you found our location so convenient to visit Paris.
I was suprised to read your disappointment regarding the restaurant L'arome, it is a one Michelin star restaurant with excellent reputation (on Tripadvisor as well) and we only recommended it because we have had great feedback from our guests. I am really sorry that your experience there wasn't satisfactory and we will certainly contact them and investigate further.
Kindly note that our prices always include 24hours access to our steam room and sauna and that they depend on your dates of stay. If you contact us prior to your next visit, we will be delighted to guide you towards a more attractive period.

We look forward seeing you soon!

Caroline CANNY

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (234)
  • Greek first
  • Turkish first
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed April 12, 2013

We chose this hotel, as it was well rated; however, we were quite disappointed with our experience. The good news is that the staff is friendly and helpful. They try to point you in the right direction.

The rooms appear new, but there are several limitations. The room is quiet and dark, in part due to the window opens up to a wall that is about 6 feet away. The room has standard built in cabinets with small places to store your stuff. The tv is inserted in a cabinet at the base of the bed. You have to use a remote to bring it up from its cubby hole. The tv can only be viewed from the bed alone. The bathroom wall is made from glass, so one cannot be too shy when showering. Lighting in the bathroom was a bit odd. They use blue lights similar to those in nights clubs to illuminate the space. Perhaps the lighting is used to hide some of the hair that was left in the tub. The biggest complaint for us was the bed. The mattress must have been well used, as there is a depression in the middle. So when sleeping (if you are able to sleep), you will find yourself sinking to the middle bumping into your bed mate. The linen of the bed does not seem to fit the bed, so you will find the sheets also in the middle. They also only give you one pillow each. There were no other pillows in the room to use for sleeping or fill the depression in the middle. It certainly did not lead to a good sleep.

The hotel is described as 4 stars, as there are a number of amenities including a gym and sauna. I am not sure who would use the gym, as it must be 30 degrees in the basement - too hot for most. There is no real restaurant, just a bar/breakfast area. I think that the hotel is over-rated on Tripadvisor, I am not sure how this hotel received such good reviews.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
5 Thank ZuZu P
26609991, Directeur général at Hotel Design Secret de Paris, responded to this review, April 16, 2013
Dear Zuzu P,

Your feedback is very valuable and I would like to thank you for taking the time to write a review as well as for your nice comment about our staff.

I really regret that you did not inform us about your discomfort when we inquired about your first night with us at breakfast time as we would have changed your room immediatly. I apologize if we did not make you feel comfortable enough to let us know that your Musée d'Orsay room was not what you expected.

Our gym has air conditionning which does not function permanently. However, the temperature is lowered in 5 minutes once we switch it on.

Your remark about the mattress is of a great concern to me and be assured that we will investigate and replace it if necessary.

Finally, we do not have a restaurant in our hotel but room service is at your disposal from 7.30pm until 11pm at night. Otherwise, there are plenty of lovely restaurants around our hotel which our reception team will be delighted to book for you.

I hope to have another opportunity to welcome you in the future.

With kind regards,

Kandahar, Afghanistan
Reviewed April 9, 2013

We stayed the week following Easter. We arrived early so they held our bags gave us a map and allowed us to explore until the room was ready. Service is outstanding Willman and Veronica(?) were especially helpful in confirming reservations, laundry and getting us ready for our trip to Rome. The breakfast is good take advantage of that at least once but go out and find local patissiries to experience breakfast.

Our.room the D'Orsay was greatly furnished though with this being a boutique hotel the rooms are "cozy" the bath is great though small. But this is to be expected not only that you shouldnt.be spending much time in the hotel anyhow!

The location is close to Moulin Rouge and buses metro's and taxis, of which the front desk is glad to direct you to.

We can not say enough about this wonderful hotel. Be sure to try the sushi place next door their kabobs are to die for good!

A big thanks to secret de Paris and their entire staff!

• Stayed April 2013
1 Thank KeeferSchultz
26609991, Directeur général at Hotel Design Secret de Paris, responded to this review, April 11, 2013
Dear KeeferSchultz,

The entire team joins me in thanking you for taking the time to write such a lovely rewiew about our hotel and service. I am thrilled to see that you enjoyed our neighboorhood and really lived like a Parisian in the 9th disctrict!

I hope you had a lovely time in Rome as well and that we will be seeing you again in the future.

A big Hello from Will, Viorica and the entire SDP team!!

Bromley, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 8, 2013

Small room but had everything we needed. Good wi fi, super shower and jacuzzi. Really appreciated complimentary water and juice in bedroom fridge. Good location. Very helpful reception staff. will return!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Ghilly55
26609991, Directeur général at Hotel Design Secret de Paris, responded to this review, April 10, 2013
Dear Ghilly55,

A short review for which I am extremely thankful! I am thrilled that our hotel lived up to your expectations. Thank you also for your kind words about the reception team, be ensured that I have communicated your satisfaction to each one of them. Looking forward to your next visit.

Tbilisi, Georgia
Reviewed April 5, 2013

Great location. Staff is great by Paris standards. Great choice of rooms and beds are comfy. Wifi works great. Breakfast ok but better to have it in a local cafe. Great small gym and love the sauna and steam room. Let staff know one hour in advance so they can start it up. This is a great little hotel. Don't expect 5 star amenities. But quality price is great.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
26609991, Responsable réception at Hotel Design Secret de Paris, responded to this review, April 8, 2013
Dear Nicola,

I am grateful that you took the time to share your experience on Tripadvisor. Thank you for highlighting all our facilities, I just want to add that we only need a short 30 minutes to heat up the sauna and the steam room for you.

Our breakfast buffet offers a large selection with cold cuts, fresh fruits, smoked salmon, muffins, cereals, “brioche”, pancakes, pastries freshly delivered from the bakery as well as eggs cooked on demand the way you like them and unlimited hot drinks as well as freshly squeezed Orange Juice. We are also lucky to be surrounded by lots of great cafés and I am glad you enjoyed them.

We hope to welcome you again to Secret de Paris in the future.

Warm regards,

Viorica CENUSA
Reviewed April 4, 2013

We just returned from a week in Paris where we celebrated our anniversary. Our stay at Secret de Paris was wonderful. We stayed in the lovely Opera Garnier room with a very comfy bed and a jacuzzi to soothe our muscles after a long day of walking the streets of Paris. The best thing about the hotel was the generous help offered by the staff. (Thanks Wilman for all your help with our dinner reservations, and never making us feel like we were imposing). The location was not in the heart of the major sights, but I thought this a plus and gave us a sense of what it was like to live in Paris. We especially loved the boulangerie on the next corner where we had delicious croissants, coffee and pastries each morning. Having the metro 2 blocks away was also a plus. Would not go anywhere else; can't wait to come back.

• Stayed March 2013
3 Thank Laurasaft
Dear Laura,

Greetings from the team at Secret de Paris! Thank you so much for choosing to stay with us on such a special occasion. I am thrilled that our hotel and team contributed to great memories of the city of lights.

Your kind words about the staff were greatly appreciated, it was Willman’s pleasure to assist you with dinner reservations.

The boulangerie from the next corner was flattered to be mentioned by guests coming all the way from New York:)

I look forward to your next visit to Paris and welcoming you again to Secret de Paris.

Yours Sincerely,

Viorica CENUSA
Anglesey, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 2, 2013

I Booked this hotel for 2 nights over the Easter weekend for my girlfriends birthday. We were very excited based on the reviews. I was slightly disappointed on arrival that we had been located in the Eiffel Tower room on the 4th floor which had no jacuzzi (there are 4 rooms in the hotel that don't have one even though they are priced the same). We were shown around by a very nice man who was very helpful and promised us that he'd do what he could to get us in a room the following night with a jacuzzi , "you haven't experienced secret de paris until you have tried our jacuzzi's!". There were complementary easter eggs on our bed which was a very nice touch. We were also informed that there would be no room service for the duration of our stay except for snacks and drinks as the chef had a disagreement with the owners. This is not acceptable without some form of compensation.

We rang the front desk in the morning and they notified us that they were fully booked so we stayed in the Eiffel Tower room. We felt it was slightly irresponsible of him to mention this without checking availability. We did feel a little hard done by as the place is expensive at 250 euros a night.

The room was small, very clean, lovely comfy bed. This is a room for couples only I suggest as there is zero privacy in the bathroom. Rooms are overpriced based on their size, price of hotels in the area, no breakfast included (18 euros). We have to emphasise the staff (that were available) are great, they are very helpful but this is not a 4star property (they have made the very best out of it with the decor and service). If everything had worked out, full room service, full bathroom suite then Im sure we'd be rating this place as 5 stars. When you pay 250 there is little room for disappointment.

Room Tip: Pay a little extra for the Artiste rooms
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Sajp27
26609991, Directeur général at Hotel Design Secret de Paris, responded to this review, April 5, 2013
Dear Sajp27,

I would like to thank you for taking the time to share you experience online. As difficult as it was for me to read that we did not meet your expectations, your feedback is extremely valuable as it helps us improve.

Our hotel has 9 rooms equipped with very large hydromassage showers with rainsky and this information is displayed on our website. If you have booked our hotel on a website that says our hotel only offers bathtubs, please write to me at hotel@hotelsecretdeparis.com and I will contact them immediatly to correct that information.

We always try to allocate a room with a bathtub whenever such is requested at reservation. I apologize that we were unable to change your room, I can assure you that we tried for several hours to make it happen but we were fully booked during the easter week-end and simply couldn't.

I am surprised about your remark regarding room service. We do not have a restaurant in our hotel, therefore we do not have a Chef either. It is correct that our entire room service menu was not available, however we had dishes available, just less options than usual. Also, I have checked your reservation and can confirm that breakfast was included in your room rate. Again, I personnally apologize if any other information was given to you upon arrival.

I would be delighted to speak to you in person and invite you to contact me directly. The entire team would really like another chance to welcome you a second time and turn around your opinion about our hotel.

With kind regards,