“Amazing café”

Odense, Fyn, Denmark
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Amazing café”
Reviewed July 18, 2013

This cozy place in the heart of Montmartre is one of the best places I've ever been.
My boyfriend and I were in Paris for 3 days, and twice we went to Montmartre just to visit Le Consulat.
The atmosphere in the café is great! People are happy, there's lots of talk from the street and the neighbor cafés. The waiters are amazingly kind and friendly, and the food is amazing.
We've tried out their Moules Frites, their Magret du Canard (duck breast), their Escargots and their roasted salmon. Both times we enjoyed their Chardonnay, which is amazing in the heat that Paris offered these days (29 °C +).
The price are surprisingly okay, considered the location and the quality. Our first evening there we had 6 snails together for entrée and then Moules Frites and the Magret du Canard + 2 glasses of Chardonnay. We payed 49,50, which I consider non-bad.

I would highly recommend Le Consulat if you visit Paris.

Visited July 2013

• Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Florida
“Charming atmosphere and fantastic food served with pride”
Reviewed July 3, 2013

A party of 7 walked in on a busy afternoon and requested to be seated inside. The staff accommodated us quickly and did not make us feel that our large group was inconveniencing them. The staff was excellent and helped us pair wine with the different meals and explained cooking methods when we were unsure of a certain dish. They were patient with the children in our group and accommodated them as well. We were treated like family. This is one of the few places that I will recommend to American friends and family and that I will return to. The owner is on-site and operates this restaurant from his heart. WOW!!!! Thank you for the wonderful meal and experience! Thank you for treating us as well as you would your family!

Redding
“We loved this restaurant!”
Reviewed June 23, 2013

After a morning tour of Montmarte we enjoyed a great lunch here. I found it on TA so we booked in advance thinking it might be busy. It turned out that we probably didn't need a reservation. It is in the touristy area of Montmarte but that was OK because we are tourists. Of greater interest is that this restaurant used to be patronized by the likes of painters Monet, Picasso, and Van Gogh which certainly added to the fun.
My wife had the duck confit which was wonderful, I had salmon and salad which was also very good. Our waitress, Sophie was fantastic, helpful, and sweet. She gave us a great table, and helped us with our lousy French pronunciations, and pointed out the pickpockets working the street in front of the restaurant.
The atmosphere was casual but this was one of our top dining experiences in Paris.

Pretoria, South Africa
“Go in for a quick bite”
Reviewed June 22, 2013 via mobile

I just had brunch and it wasn't half bad. The service was quick and friendly. The Omlette complete only had ham, cheese and mushrooms on but was very tasty. Off course it was more expensive but it in the heart of Montmartre. I shall eat there again if ever I pass there again

Saint Paul, Minnesota
“A disgrace of a restaurant for a wonderful city”
Reviewed June 1, 2013

Just came back from this restaurant and could not wait until tomorrow to write this review.
This restaurant is very well located, in the heart of romantic Montmartre.
A tourist trap, open in the right place and waiting for you to sit an order food.
There are several options in Montmartre ... and I just happened to pick probably the worst one.
Sure, the claim that several impressionist painters met there attracted me ... but thinking in perspespective those artist probably eat in every place there ... that was opened one 150 years ago ...
I decided to pick an outside table, to see "life going by". The waitress, very young and probably on her first job, greated me and took her a while to bring the menue. I ordered : mineral water, onion soup and mussels. She took the order and dissapeared. Five minutes later, another server showed up with the menu and asked me the same questions ... OK, a mistake, I understand ...(however, not in Montmartre and not in one of the streets with most tourist traffic in all Paris ...

Bread and water came and soup took a few minutes. Nothing to be concerned, but I took advantage of the wait and went to the toillette to wash my hands ....
The place was a true mess, with a strong smell clearly showing no deep cleaning for a while ...

I should have left in the spot ... but did not react quickly, and as I was hungry, went back to my table and waited for the soup, that was passable (somehow cold, so it has probably been seating somewhere until the waitress noticed and brought it to my table ...)

Then, i waited for the mussels ... and waited .. and waited ... for aprox 30 minutes.
Called the waitress and he told me he was ordering the mussels at that moment, and that was going to take two minutes maximum. Never an apology, probably too proud to say anything ...

It was enought for me, so I stood up, went to the cashier, and told the person in charge that I had been waiting for the mussels for almost 30 min, and did not want to wait more, so asked for the bill to pay for the soup and water .

To my surprise the peson in charge (young man, probably in his middle twenties, dark hair, skinny), turned and went to check the time I ordered the food ... and confirmed it was almost 30 minutes ... He turned back to me and said : "I don't care. THis is fresh food and if you want quicker service you should have gone to a MacDonalds ..."
Now, we all know that boiling mussels is one of the fastest meals you can prepare ....probably around 5 minutes ...so this guy was not only not recognizing his mistake by forgetting about my order, but bringing a silly excuse as well...
I told him that that was not the case, that other people that came later than me were served "fresh food" earlier, and that was not acceptable...
His response was "i don't care about you"
To my response " Do you realize I am your customer ?" he repeated "I don't care"
I paid and left, very sorry about the german ladies that were just getting ready to order, and the mother with a young girl that were heading towards the bathroom...

Life told me that nobody is perfect, and that we need to be patient with mistakes when people is trying to do better ...
But when you find an arrogant person like the one that was in charge of LE CONSULAT, on Saturday June 1, 2013, at 8:30 PM, we must take away our business from him, and tell everybody else the type of service that is expected from a place like LE CONSULAT.

With so many wonderful restaurants in Montmartre, and all over Paris, with people that do everything to please you as a customer so you can have a great experience, LE CONSULAT does not deserve my business.

Enjoy ! (but skip LE CONSULAT)
Moro