“Perfect place in Paris”

Ranked #32 of 133 Paris B&B and Inns
Manchester, United Kingdom
“Perfect place in Paris”
Reviewed November 17, 2012

What a wonderful find. Thank you so much Pascal (and the Guardian travel). Stayed with our 3 kids (13,11 and 7) during the half term. Everything was just right from beginning to end at the wonderfully located Folie de Canal, with views of the Sacre Coeur and the top of the Eiffel Tower. So well placed for walking about Paris. Wander into the Marais region or the Bastille, or meander down to the Pompidue centre. The flat is such a home from home, with 2 great sized bedrooms, 2 bathrooms and a really well equipped and stocked kitchen. Loved the breakfast provisions, especially the brioche and much mentioned jam. Home made, I know, but by who? The kids were so happy and so were we. The free wifi was an extra bonus. Will rave about this place and return soon x

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank Deb510161

vermont
Reviewed November 14, 2012

Belated review of our stay in September...most others have covered what an outstanding spot this is in Paris so I'll only add a couple of notes. Location, comfort, views, convenience, close to metro, many restaurants nearby, full kitchen, full bathroom, hairdryer and toiletries, closet space...all this plus a safe for valuables, closet hanger and shelf space, and very convenient key codes for getting into the building so only the key for the apartment needed. The terrace has 2 bistro tables for outdoor seating and runs the length of the apartment with double door entrances from all 3 rooms. These doors have heavy inner doors that can be closed to reduce, almost eliminate, any noise from the street 5 stories below and curtains to pull to darken the rooms for sleeping if desired.
Tony covered for Pascal during our visit and was friendly, funny and helpful. This is the perfect place to stay and live like a Parisian for a few days.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
4 Thank onva
Alexandria, VA
Reviewed October 25, 2012

The Folie Canal apartment does not have its own website, so I'll review it on this one. Pascal and Pascal own this lovely two-bedroom, two-bathroom apartment located close to Folie Mericourt. My husband and I (we're in our 60's) spent 8 nights there and loved it. Cereal, bread, juice, milk, coffee, tea, yogurt and the world-famous jams were stocked for our use. The apartment is clean, comfortable, very convenient, and with the newer windows, quiet. There is a large balcony with great views. The neighborhood is great and is within a very short walk to markets, shops, restaurants, and about a five minute walk to a metro station (Republique) which serves five metro lines. Getting around Paris from there was very easy. Pascal M. was very easy to communicate with and helped arrange a car service to take us to the airport at an ungodly hour. Staying in the apartment made our stay extra-special, and we highly recommend it.

Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
6 Thank enjoyslife85
Ottawa, Canada
Reviewed October 10, 2012

Our party of three spent a very comfortable week chez Appartement Folie Merciourt! Metro stop is a minutes walk away, bakery next door, Le 3C next door for a fresh supper or a pop in for a glass of wine. Wine and chocolate shops a few minutes walk to Oberkampf.

The apartment is fully equipped. Loved that the light in the afternoons poured in to all rooms it set the scene for a lovely glass of wine on the patio or a little cat nap.The doors provided suprising sound proofing for a very comfortable and quiet sleep. Fridge, stove, microwave, kettle..a selection of teas, yogurts, breads, milk and orange juice. Tons of extra bedding and pillows. The apartment was spotless when we arrived. French TV channels, and a dvd player. Telephone with free calling to Canadian land lines was an appreciated bonus. Towels provided.

Pascal will set the apartment up according to the configuration you require. I was travelling with my mother and her best friend and we were very comfortable not tripping over one another.

Warning for those faint of heart the stairs will give you a work out. Getting our luggage up the stairs was a breeze thanks to help from Tony who stepped in for Pascal who was away on vacation for most of our stay. Do not worry about booking even if Pascal, who lives next door (super handy) is away as you will be very very well taken care of.

Pascal returned from his own vacation the night before our very early morning departure and was so sweet to have woken up to bring our luggage downstairs!

Some tips:
*during our trip we were thrilled to find that a hair dryer was provided it was a life saver
*bring some dvds if you are interested in watching movies, there is a selection provided by Pascal as well
*bring along your laptop there is wifi provided, great perk! you will need it for checking the weather
*needless to say bring comfortable shoes!
*pre purchase your metro/batobus/open bus tickets, very handy
*lots of electrical outlets
*while on the metro be sure to keep your valuables out of sight. A sturdy cross body bag served me very well
*bring an umbrella!
*we ordered pizza one night from a shop around the corner and they delivered all the way up to the apartment and it was delish, Pascal keeps delivery menus in the apartment
*lots of books provided
*there is a grocery store less than a minutes walk away if you want to stock up on extras for your stay
*most shops closed on Sundays and some on Mondays as well
*the lights in the halls at the apartment are off in the evening, there is a switch on the wall on each floor that you press to turn the lights on.
*apartment building is very quiet in the evenings, be respectful!

I have nothing negative to say about the apartment would definitely stay again, the value cannot be beat. The St Amboise metro line, one minute away provides swift access right down to Franklin Roosevelt where you can jump off to go to the louvre etc. One quick metro stop change to get to St Germain.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
5 Thank traveller1791
Castle Rock, Washington
Reviewed September 1, 2012

Our party of 5 stayed five nights in late June and had a pleasant and comfortable stay. The apartment is close to metro stops and makes getting around Paris very easy. The heart of the marais is about a 15 minute walk and there are many other sites near by. There is not a clothes washer in the apartment, but there is a laundry facility right next door. There is also a wonderful bakery and cafe nearby for those evenings you don't want to venture to far away. Pascal was very helpful with recommendations and getting oriented to Paris. The stairs up to the apartment would likely be challenging for anyone who has limited cardio activity or inactive elderly. Our 12 year old daughter had no troubles with the stairs. The space is comfortable and cozy and there is a small terrace to gaze out at the neighborhood. This was our first visit to Paris and I would not hesitate to rent this apartment again. It was very clean and well stocked. Lastly, for those looking to have meals in, lunch or dinner there is a good sized grocery store about 5 minutes walk from the apartment. Pascal provides breakfast supplies and makes wonderful home made jams, cheers!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank nutravlr09
London
Reviewed August 21, 2012

What can I say that hasn't already been said. Loved the apartment. So, so much better than staying in a hotel. Helpful hosts, plenty of space, handy location near 2 metro stations, shops etc. Would definately return and recommend to all my friends.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Hunter Valley NSW Australia
Reviewed August 2, 2012

This was without a doubt my best value for money find in the whole of France! I will admit initially I was disappointed that I was unable to book my first 2 choices of apartment in Paris. Well turns out, my 3rd selection was actually an outstanding selection.
Why? The lovely owners. They live right next door which is really so very helpful and handy but not at all invasive. Their genuine care and concern that you have a nice stay is felt right from the start with their warm greeting but also all throughout the apartment – leaving extra pillows, iron and ironing board, hangers, body wash, shampoo and conditioner, a stock of towels and planting bright flowers in the pots on the balcony to make the apartment look ever so welcoming.
Value for money. I was able to afford this 2 bedroom apartment just for myself and my husband. For just the 2 of us it was wonderful to spread out, unpack and each have our own room for a week to catch up on sleep or time alone or computing time (yes they also have fantastic quick free internet connection included in the price). Perhaps for 2 couples it might be a bit too cosy as you have to pass thru one of the bedrooms to get to the back bedroom.
They have all the gadgets included – and free phone calls back to Australia. I know I read this but until I actually made the call home (to my mother of course) I couldn’t believe it would work and be free, but it was! They also had TV and DVD player but apart from the internet we never used any of this.
All this and our own balcony. We spent many a meal out here just watching life go by.
Yes it is 5 flights of stairs but just below us is a great patisserie so you can enjoy fresh pastries every morning. Even though your kitchen is left fully stocked with breads, milk, jam, butter, juice to name a few, you just can’t go past a fluffy warm pastry for breakfast. Wine shop, and 2 supermarkets 1 -5 min walk away and the metro just down the street corner. Paris is so big I couldn’t find a really central location to stay and when I did the area was usually too expensive, so this was the perfect answer.
Experiences we enjoyed due to our apartment. Firstly we saved a heap of money (we were away for 5 weeks in Europe) so being able to cook for 7 nights was a great novelty and budget saver. We got great pleasure out of shopping at the local supermarkets – choosing our wine off the shelves and trying some different meats and cheeses. I found a very helpful chemist in the street and had some great conversations with the locals I met.
We did walk to Notre Dame one day but once we mastered the metro system we just used that all the time. Always have some spare tickets with you as you can never be certain that every entrance sells tickets and odds on you will be running late the day you run out! We found the metro safe to use but I was always aware of my personal belongings (we’d had a run in with gypies in Nice, so I knew how good they were at lightening your bags for you) and the metro can be so crowded it is easy work for them.
Would I stay here again – absolutely without question. We found the sleep quality very good, whilst there is a bar just down the street this just added to the charm of the location and was only a bit noisy on Saturday night. If you want to feel like a local Parisian for a while, sipping wine , eating cheese and bread purchased from local shops, and watching the world go by from 5 stories up on your very own flowered balcony, well this is the place for you.

Have no qualms about paying deposits as Pascal and Pascal are genuine folk. They even let us leave our bags in the apartment for 4 hours the day we left even though other people were checking in. Gracious hosts indeed.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple