“AVOID!! Worst meal ever!”
Review of Le Bistrot 30 - CLOSED

Le Bistrot 30
Cuisines: French
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Neighborhood: Odeon / Saint-Michel
Reviewed March 28, 2014 via mobile

26 Mar 2014

We had a very early flight to Paris from the UK and needed an early meal so that we could have an early night. After all of our first choice restaurants were shut until later in the evening, we decided to go closer to the hotel and risk a restaurant in the 'touristy' Latin Quarter. BIG mistake!!! I wish we'd gone back to the hotel to use their WiFi to check on here first. This restaurant was TERRIBLE! The staff were ok, but a little slow. I ordered mussels in white wine to start - they had been stewed in hot water with an onion for God-knows-how-long, and I'd be incredibly suprised if any wine had been added. They were served in a bowl with a dried up piece of lemon on top, with the fishy flavoured water poured over the top - think well-chewed chewing-gum inside little shells. I had duck breast next. The waiter asked if I wanted it medium or rare - I asked for rare. What arrived was even more rubbery than the gum-like mussels!!! My husband's meal was just as bad. We both struggled to keep a straight face when they brought the dessert menu. Needless to say we got the bill and left!! We'll be getting a good night's sleep tonight and going further afield tomorrow.

1  Thank CLHedley

Reviewed March 26, 2014 via mobile

We had a very early flight to Paris from the UK and needed an early meal so that we could have an early night. After all of our first choice restaurants were shut until later in the evening, we decided to go closer to the hotel and risk a restaurant in the 'touristy' Latin Quarter. BIG mistake!!! I wish we'd gone back to the hotel to use their WiFi to check on here first. This restaurant was TERRIBLE! The staff were ok, but a little slow. I ordered mussels in white wine to start - they had been stewed in hot water with an onion for God-knows-how-long, and I'd be incredibly suprised if any wine had been added. They were served in a bowl with a dried up piece of lemon on top, with the fishy flavoured water poured over the top - think well-chewed chewing-gum inside little shells. I had duck breast next. The waiter asked if I wanted it medium or rare - I asked for rare. What arrived was even mor rubbery than the gum-like mussels!!! My husband's meal was just as bad. We both struggled to keep a straight face when they brought the dessert menu. Needless to say we got the bill and left!! We'll be getting a good night's sleep tonight and going further afield tomorrow.

1  Thank CLHedley
Reviewed March 25, 2014

Never have I walked into a fairly busy restaurant only to find the food as horrendous as the slop served at Le Bistrot 30. We should have left as soon as we realized that all our fellow diners were tourists (except for the one French couple who sat next to us, but who said it was their first time eating there, too). Having enjoyed a pretty expensive dinner the previous night, we were hoping to get something good that was more affordable. Unfortunately, in this case, we got what we paid for.

I ordered the salad and quiche starter while my boyfriend opted for the steak plate with frites and salad. The waiter was clearly distracted, unfriendly, and practically threw our basket of stale bread onto the table. After only a few minutes (which should have been another warning sign) our food arrived. My dish consisted of a large plate of lettuce with dijon dressing and a minuscule slice of the most disgusting quiche I've ever attempted to eat. It had obviously been sitting around all day and just been reheated in the microwave, which made the soggy crust so squishy that it was completely inedible. I scraped off the tiny bit of eggy filling only to find it equally soggy, tasteless and sprinkled with a few pieces of tough ham. My boyfriend's "steak" was charred on the outside, practically raw on the inside, and consisted mostly of fat, gristle and something that looked like meat but was bizarrely spongey and without any flavor. The frites were cold and cooked in old oil. They probably would have been more palatable if doused in ketchup, but after trying to get the waiter's attention several times to request some, we gave up and just left them on the plate along with most of the "steak."

I've never before wanted to leave a restaurant without paying for my meal, but the terrible quality of this food made me seriously consider dining and dashing. After waiting another ten minutes for the bill, we paid and went to go find someplace else to eat since we were both still hungry after leaving most of our meal untouched. Avoid this place at all costs.

Reviewed January 21, 2014

Called in after wandering the streets of Paris for hours and quickly ushered onto the upper floor. When in France..........go for the plat de jour. Usually the best value option and always comes up with my favourite, French onion soup. Very pleasant surroundings and prompt service. The Bistro was certainly busy with tourists and the odd local. Good food in the 3 courses, nothing special but it is enough to get you going for the next round of sites and shops!

1  Thank David B
Reviewed January 21, 2014 via mobile

In the latin quarter, its hit or miss it seems. This is definerly on the latter side.
Ok, one of us had mussels and the sauce was really good, although it was quite salty, the mussels were cooked very well (timed well), but there was sand still in them. The other had the snails, they were fine, cant really compare, as it was our first time eating this dish. They were covered in garlic and herbs, so really thats all they tasted like.
The mains was a mess. We both ordered the "preserved duck leg" with sautèd potatoes. We were both given duck breast, in orange sauce, with fries. Although it looked nice, but we thought we better let them know it wasn't our order - in case somebody else had ours and vice-versa. The waiter (non apologetic) took our plates and came back 3 minutes later with duck legs, piping hot, on the same plates (orange sauce under, with fries). We felt this was a bad service.
We had crème brûlée and profiter rolls as desert, these were ok.
It's quite cheap (?18 for these 3 courses). The service didn't deal well with the mistake and were not very friendly, although not particularly rude either.