“Intelligent guides, interesting tour”
Review of Paris Walks

Paris Walks
Ranked #17 of 176 Food & Drink in Paris
More attraction details
Owner description: Paris Walks offers daily guided walks of Paris in English. No need to reserve, tours last two hours and cost 12 euros. The daily schedule is available at our website. Tours run rain or shine and are guaranteed all year round. Paris Walks was founded in 1995.
Reviewed July 30, 2014

My daughter and I took the Montmarte tour with Briggitte. Really great experience. If I had more time in Paris, I would have taken more tours. Briggitte was quite knowledgeable about the area and its history. Really brought everything to life. Highly recommend finding a Paris Walk tour that meets your interests and schedule. Super easy to find the group and you don't pay (for most tours) until you get there, so if plans change or weather is bad, you aren't committed to attending.

At the end of the tour, Briggitte gave us great advice on getting back to the metro and where to find a good lunch.

Reviewed July 29, 2014

I did a Paris Walk tour in 2012 with Peer around the Marais area and having returned to Paris again in 2014 went along for two more tours. this time I did Montmarte and the Latin Quarter. All tours were with Peter and each time the tour was informative and fun. You seem to always meet at a metro station which are always easy to get to and easy to find. The tours tend to go for at least 2 hours and sometimes a little longer. Peter is always so passionate about the tour as if he is doing it for the first time. Highly recommend.

Reviewed July 26, 2014

Spent 3 days in Paris this July and took 3 guided walking tours with Paris Walks: 2 (Latin Quarter and Marais) with Brad Newfield and 1 (Montmartre) with Brigitte. We highly recommend the tours and both guides. Brad is an American living in Paris with a strong background in history. It shows in his thorough knowledge of the history of Paris. Brigitte is half French and half English and has lived in Paris since she was a child. This shows in her intimate knowledge of life in Paris. We came away with more knowledge of Paris, its history, and some idea of life in Paris. The groups were manageable in size, both Brad and Brigitte spoke so we could hear and understand, and questions were always answered. Meeting up is usually at a Metro stop so it's simple to connect with them. Some tours require signing up in advance.

Brad also arranges private walking tours. Several years ago I took my elderly parents to Paris and hired Brad (over the internet) to tour them about for two half days. What an amazing experience for my parents! They could understand Brad, he was patient with them, and even drove a rental car so they could see more of the highlights.

We highly recommend Brad's and Brigitte's walking tours!

Reviewed July 24, 2014

We took two Paris Walks on a recent visit: Ile de La Cite (Norte Dame) and Montmartre. Chris was our guide for both. He was informative and humorous. Both groups were large, but he did his best to insure that all could see and hear him.
The Ile de La Cite tour is a great first day orientation, but you will have to plan another time to see the interior of Notre Dame. The Montmartre Tour was perfect, since the charm of Montmartre is in its winding streets and hidden courtyards. The Montmartre tour ends in front of Sacre Coeur and there is no line or charge to go inside after your tour.
Wear comfortable, sturdy shoes and be prepared to walk on cobblestones and hills for two hours; you will be informed and entertained, but not coddled. Bring your camera and water. There are no rest stops on the tour, but your guide can suggest dining options for after.
Paris Walks delivers a good tour for the money and without pre- booking.

Reviewed July 20, 2014

Disclaimer: I did not tour with this company. I am simply sharing my experience in attempting to book a private tour.

I contacted Paris Walks to schedule a private tour in September. I was informed that I must pay a deposit in order to secure the tour, which I fully understood. When I inquired if I could pay via PayPal, I was informed that I can e-mail my CC information or phone them my CC information. As I was not comfortable processing payment through either method (neither are secure options), I never responded back. A few weeks elapsed and Paris Walks e-mailed me to inform me that since I had not made a deposit that they were releasing a guide that they had provisioned for me. I responded back: "Thanks. We were uncomfortable with not processing payment through PayPal." This started a pretty "non customer friendly" email exchange. Paris Walks informed me no less than two times that I am the only customer who has taken issue with not phoning in payment and that "I think it’s rather a shame that the method of payment should be your way of choosing a suitable guide but obviously that’s up to you.". I was told that the PayPal transaction fee (5% that could be passed to the customer...a total of <4 euro) was too expensive a fee for them to pursue. Also, it was mentioned that phoning in payment is simply how things are done in France. I merely informed Paris Walks that I had booked with other French businesses using secure payment methods. I also stated that there are hundreds of suitable guides in Paris and that method of payment/cost is only 1 of a myriad of factors in guide selection. Once I threatened to leave a nasty review, I received an apology where Paris Walks stated that they were just trying to be "friendly" responding to my e-mail. I didn't find these "attacks" to be friendly at all. I thought that by letting them know why I didn't proceed with booking would only help them make future business decisions as this is the 21st century and secure processing of payment is important to some (apparently only me according to Paris Walks). Needless to say, we booked a tour with another guide who did offer a method of secure payment online (like many others in Paris).

While this interaction has no bearing on the quality of their guides, I was very upset at the unwillingness to understand my reservations and my perceived "attack" at being uncomfortable phoning in payment.

1  Thank NoLaNooga