“I loved this hotel”

La Maison Montparnasse
Ranked #470 of 1,803 Hotels in Paris
Reviewed October 18, 2013

First of all I can't mention any negative points, everything was perfect! We had a triple room, and I have to say it was small, but not the smallest I've ever stayed in. The room itself was clean, with simple furniture, the bed and the pillows were great! We were on the third floor so it wasn't noisy. The elevator is very very tiny so it was a challenge to send up and down our luggage as it stops between two floors.
The staff is friendly, helpful and speaks english. We didn't try the breakfast option, because we thought it was a bit expensive and on the other hand there are bakeries close to the hotel and near subway station, which is also a few minutes away from hotel (Pernety). There's a supermarket on the next corner too. After checking out we could leave our luggage there, so it was also a great help for us, and we were allowed to use the computer for check-in and the printer for our boarding cards.
In my opinion this hotel was better than some 3 and 4 star accomodations

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with friends
5  Thank dormo

Reviewed October 7, 2013

We stayed for ten days in this lovely hotel, where the staff made us feel very welcome and the cleaners were amazingly thorough and would recommend it to others. Montparnasse is a wonderful area and we said goodbye to a lot of new friends when we left. We took the breakfast option and wouldn't again. It's a good breakfast but there are a lot of cheaper options in the area.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Lynette F
Reviewed September 30, 2013

La Maison Montparnasse is a charming, colorful small boutique hotel located on Metro Line 13 a 5 minute walk to either the Pernety or Plaisance stations. My simple room was basic, clean, bright, and small, which was exactly what I was looking for. The price couldn't be beat! The hotel does have the world's smallest elevator, but it is an extremely modern retrofit. The staff were courteous and professional to every guest. Often at small hotels in Paris, I have found that the proprietors will take a liking to certain guests and treat others very coldly. Not so at La Maison Montparnasse! Every request is met graciously, and frequently courtesies were offered when no request was made. For example, I returned late one night with a take away meal. I asked to sit at the breakfast tables in the lobby to eat it out of the bag. The night clerk immediately offered to reheat my meal, laid a place setting, and insisted on washing up afterwards. For those few who don't have a mobile device, a public computer is available in the lobby, and they will make the front desk printer available for printing boarding passes. There are many choices for breakfast, including some homemade jams. While the street does not have a lot of traffic, on weekend nights (Fri and Sat), the noise of people walking and talking loudly carries through closed windows into the wee hours. That said, on weeknights, it was quite quiet. If you are a light sleeper and plan on staying over a weekend, be sure to ask for a room in the back overlooking the courtyard. As a single woman travelling alone, I can report that I felt very safe walking in this neighborhood even close to midnight. La Maison Montparnasse is a real find, a hidden gem. I would stay here again in heartbeat!

Room Tip: Rooms overlooking the courtyard are quieter, particularly on weekends when the street side is noisy...
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled solo
5  Thank Mickirish
Reviewed September 23, 2013 via mobile

Staying out of the tourist area in Montparnasse and in this hotel was one of the best ideas. Though rooms are small it is one if the best boutique hotels I've stayed in. The area us full of eateries that are a fraction of the price of tourist area. The difference is paying one euro for an espresso compared to five euros. Stay here.

4  Thank Peter K
Reviewed September 15, 2013

Plenty of good patisseries and local supermarkets in the area and about 15mins on the metro from most of the major sites. Taxi from Nord station around 25 euro including luggage (remember you need to generally pay 1 euro per bag in the trunk in Paris). We didn't take the breakfast option for 12 euro per person because found cheaper options on the street nearby. Ask the staff for good nearby dinner options - very helpful and friendly in our experience. Only negative was the first night we had very noisy people next door carrying on until after midnight as the walls are very thin - upon complaining to reception, staff spoke with the people who soon put a stop to the festivities! Rooms are v small as per Paris in general. Overall a good little spot at a reasonable price.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank JASKOZ
Reviewed September 15, 2013

My husband and I stayed at this hotel for 4 nights in early September. It was super cute and very convenient. We had a room overlooking the street and loved the view. Its proximity to the subway and restaurants was perfect. The bathroom is indeed small. I noticed several reviews commented on how small the room/bathroom are but frankly I only care about sleeping and bathing, and this hotel was more than sufficient. The only cons are the breakfast is a bit expensive (12 euros) and the room was muggy when we arrived, but we aired it out by opening the windows and it was fine. Those two cons weren't enough to rate it less than excellent. Also, the staff was very, very nice - no issues there. I recommend this hotel for anyone looking for a reasonable rate, great location, and nice accommodations.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Betsy K
Reviewed September 7, 2013

Well located hotel with a staff which was exceptional helpful and friendly and willing to help in any way possible. Close to Metro and busy streets with a lot of bakeries, restaurants and small local businesses.The rooms are very clean and even though they are small they are very well organized and we could easily fit a family of three to one of the small rooms. We enjoyed the stay - it was at least perfect for us.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family