“The best meal we had in Paris” 4 of 5 bubbles

Restaurant Miroir
Ranked #3,007 of 16,717 Restaurants in Paris
Cuisines: French
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Neighborhood: Montmartre
London, United Kingdom
“The best meal we had in Paris”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 27, 2013

After consulting Lonely Planet and Trip Advisor we thought we'd give this place a try. What can I say, the service, food and value to quality ratio were spot on.

We gambled with not booking and managed to get a table for 2 at around 8pm on a Saturday night. The place was busy but began to fill up not long after we arrived with people being turned away. I guess we were lucky.

The service was great and the waiter was able to translate parts of the menu for us. Generally the staff were helpful, friendly and attentive without being pushy. The food arrived promptly but not quick enough to arouse suspicion and the time between courses was just right.

The food itself was fantastic, we opted for the two courses for €26 pp. but you could have all three for €30ish pp. Our starters were charcuterie and cucumber soup and our mains were the sea bream and shoulder of lamb. Every mouthful of food was a pleasure and I would highly recommend all of these dishes. Wine was reasonable at €7 a glass for a decent Pouilly-Fume.

My only regret is not opting to have desert. These all looked very well presented but after the great meal we'd had I just couldn't have done a desert justice.

Highly recommended.

• Visited August 2013
2 Thank Jamie_88

Aussies in UK
“Wonderful.. One of our best meals in Paris”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 18, 2013 via mobile

One of our best meals in paris. The couchon was wonderful and the gazpachio with fish was simply an inspired combination.. Good enthusiastic service and reasonable prices. Highly recommended.

Visited July 2013
1 Thank Aussie_travellers_9
The Hague, The Netherlands
“"Reservations needed ..."”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 6, 2013

The restaurant has a stylish interior: light grey-coated walls with red-leather sofas and wooden-topped iron tables. I had reserved (which was as well, because the place filled at amazing speed and many impromptu diners in spe had to be turned away) and was given a seat at a small, high table with barstools; at first, I was slightly unhappy about this since there were so many other tables for two free, but, as it turned out, there WERE reservations and my high seat offered great opportunities for strategic observations.
The wine list is VERY impressive, though certainly not cheap. In each category there is at least one top-quality wine available per glass. I began with a flinty, bone dry - no sugar left at all - Champagne - with slivers of Iberian raw-cured ham, and a terrine of Boudin (it was served cold an had that earthy taste beyond measure!), and then a decent slice of mi-cuit fois gras ( with cherry compote and the rest of my generously poured glass of driest Champagne). A small helping of "Fricasse de fruit de mer" (pnricpally Palourdes and smallish mussells, with fresh peas and fava beans in a fine slighly stingy (chili and garlic?) broth) with an elegant 2011 Pouilly Fumé, poured from a MAGNUM bottle. The second glass, from a novel bottle, was particularly delicate, and went excellently with a Tournedos of Cabillaud and tempura fritters of various green al dente vegetables (A memorable dish that one!). Chunks of Iberian cochon, with girolles mushrooms in rich measure and a lovely Cote de Beaune ended the serious part of the meal. The bread was coarse and brown, which went very well with the food as served.
For dessert I got a raspberry compote with a bombe of intense vanilla ice and a separate mousse au chocolat; all very good, but not really my thing... However, a Bas Armagnac from 1972 was very much my thing. The Gerant, when he noted that I thought a bit about my food and drink, poured his libations in measures that were more than generous and I considered myself lucky to have had all this for € 91:-. The promised five course Menu degustation was priced at € 42:- but turned out to augmented into six dishes. Champgne plus three glasses of wine and an exceptional Armagnac made up for the rest.

The service was good throughout, in spite of an enormous pressure of work for the staff of only two or three. One strange item: the website is just one page with the address/tel.-number of the restaurant and the facing wine bar of the same name and managaement; neither the menu nor the wine list can be found there.
However now that I did find my way there I am bound to be back. That Champagne ....
Strongly recommended.

• Visited July 2013
Illinois
“Great memories of Chez Claude and Claudine at this location”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 30, 2013

Browsing TA as I plan a future trip brings up memory lane. I'm delighted to see that this cozy little place has been reborn and is giving new folks good memories. Our experience several years ago when Claudine hosted at Chez Claude and Claudine. This delightful round little lady welcomed us English only speakers like our own Grandma. We quickly learned that Claude had "been kicked to the curb" years ago and not missed. She took us under wing and recommended great selections. The food was wonderful and the atmosphere just what we hoped for in our search for non-tourist things to enjoy. Sounds very like the current hosts have kept this hospitality alive, so the tradition lives on.

We found the place as we wandered downhill from Sacré-Cœur one evening. It became one of the treasured memories of our trip. Now the reincarnation is on my plan for a new trip.

• Visited June 2013
1 Thank PeterBIllinois
Cosby, Tennessee
“Wonderful experience...”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 28, 2013 via mobile

We arrived in Paris last night and had had our host reserve a booking at Miroir across the street from our apartment. Our choice was based on pervious TA reviews. We were not disappointed.

We arrived at 19:30, their opening dinner time and were greeted by a congenial host who showed us to the "best table in the house". We knew by his sense of humor we were in for a fun evening. Our server brought the "suggestion board" over. I asked if she had an English version and she replied she "was" the English version. She took the time to explain the full board. I went with the pig ears with a liver pâté sauce for the first course followed by a grilled Dover sole in a butter and mushroom sauce. The wife is on a fat restricted diet so the chef went out of his way to make her an excellent fish dish with steamed vegetables. She pronounced it a winner. I had the server's suggested dessert which were various fruits sautéed with a rich ice cream topping. The wife went with a raspberry sorbet which included some unusual spices that we were not able to identify.

With wine and the included gratuity we go out for 100€ and enjoyed every minute of the experience. If you are in the 18th district make it a point to go to Mirior.

Visited June 2013