“Just know which Hotel des Arts you're booking for!”
2 of 5 bubbles Review of Hotel Des Arts

Hotel Des Arts
Ranked #1,733 of 1,796 Hotels in Paris
England
“Just know which Hotel des Arts you're booking for!”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 1, 2012

I thought I was booking for the one in Montmartre on Rue de Tholoze (probably spelt wrong) but actually ended up here.
Now looking at the reviews for that hotel and what I ended up with meant I was pretty disappointed with what I got.
The reviews on here I would say are slightly worse than my personal experience of the hotel but I did only stay 2 nights so maybe its a case of that was what was tolerable.

Anyway, the room itself was a single with just a sink and a wardrobe that looked like it may fall apart if I dared to open it. The room was clean in fairness and the bedding was all fresh so that definitely made it better. It looked like there had been a damp problem in the past with water coming through the ceiling as there were water marks thorough out the corridor (on the 4th floor) and a smell of damp in the corridor as well, but thankfully not in the room.
If the hotel was redecorated and given a badly needed lick of paint then I think the reviews would improve immensely as the aesthetics are what let this hotel down. I definitely didn't see any cockroaches during my stay, in fact I saw no bugs at all including spiders which is something that makes me feel very happy due to my huge arachnophobia.

As a side note, this hotel is not ideal for disabled or visitors who have difficulty with stairs as all the rooms are at least one floor upstairs which is reached only by a spiral staircase. As I said, I was on the fourth floor and going and up down those stairs used to get me pretty dizzy!

There was a shared WC on the floor which was tiny, I had trouble moving round in there and I'm only just over 5 foot in height so good luck if you're taller. Least it worked though, that was definitely a relief!

The receptionist staff were pleasant enough, especially the man who is on there at night who would happily chat to me and give me a map with places he suggested going to see and how to get there. He could also speak fairly good English which was lucky as my French was just confusing for him in its appalling state.

The location is actually really good, just a couple of minutes up the hill from Cadet station which is on Metro line 7 and so you can get to Louvre directly but easily change over to other sights at Chatelet, although to get to Montmartre and Sacre Coeur you're better off walking up to it as there is not an easy changeover to the metro lines that serve this part. I
ts a little bit from the touristy side of Paris and there's loads of restaurants and bars nearby for going out in the evening which was quite nice to see a more 'French' side to Paris.

Overall, my stay was ok. I would have rather had a more comfortable and nicer looking hotel to stay in but really I was out all day and only returning at night to sleep so cleanliness was a more important factor.

I'll be honest, I wouldn't book here again as I know I could probably get something a lot nicer for my money but the location is good.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank charla_charla

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
London
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 20, 2012

This hotel, if indeed it can be called that, is just awful! Minuscule room, couple with an incessant odour of cigarettes and mould, with a highly uncomfortable bed on the 5th floor. What's more, there is only one - yes, one - (broken) shower in the whole 'hotel'. To top it all off, the staff were just horrible. Stay here at your own peril - heed this warning!

• Stayed November 2011, traveled solo

Travelers are raving about these Paris hotels

Manchester, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 13, 2012

Bed only hotel. Spiral stairs to 6 or 7 floors, me and my guests were placed between 4 and 5 which left my legs burning getting up there, so made sure I needed everything before I left. I had a single room, which had a sink and broken mirror and plastic towel rail that kept falling off the wall. Towels were threadbare and looked like jumble items or stuff you would have replaced at home years ago. Mattress was made of sponge and fine if you like lying on your back but almost snapped you in half if you like to sleep on your front. Plastic wood effect lino floor had holes in it and was stained in parts. I had roaches in my room, not noticed until the last day. Don't slide the wardrobe door too quickly or the whole assembly will collapse, like old home built MFI crap. Had a nice view of the street but the room was hot with windows closed but too much traffic noise below to sleep with windows open. Does not get quiet until about 4am on a weekend. Walls paper thin so if hotel full you will hear everyone and everything at least floor above and below. Double room my other guests had, looked out over a narrow alley, had a shower and sink but had to go down one floor for toilet which was not well stocked with paper. I was happy to sleep on my bed and did not get bed bug activity but my guests felt they would rather sleep on the floor than on the bed they had as the bed cover did not smell too fresh. A maid did make the beds and take out the rubbish in the mornings but don't expect fresh towels. There is no breakfast facility at the hotel, the Salon and bar have long since gone to ruin and is just a store room now. There seems to be a couple of good hotels called Hotel Des Artes, don't be confused. If you want cheap and happy to put up with the above, suitably anebriated then this will work for you. You won't get to check in before 3pm so don't bother disturbing them. They don't speak anything but French and they sometimes leave a kid behind the counter who seems to not even able to understand that. Don't expect anything from reception staff, just your key and to pay your bill. I don't know how some sites give this a star and call it a hotel. This is a hostel and not that great an example of one. Location is just south of Montmartre district but close enough not to worry about that and has a chemist, supermarket, good cafe etc a stone throw away. Easily walkable from Gare du Nord, don't know why you get told to go on metro to Cadet, just not worth the hassle. It was an easy walk to Sacre Coer from the hotel and to Moulin Rouge.

Room Tip: If you like climbing mountains and want a good view then try to get top floor as you may get less ro...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank dmillan367
Liepaja, Latvia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 1, 2012

VERY dirty and smelly hotel with big cockroachs !!!

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
2 Thank MARA274965
Chester, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 4, 2012

Please be warned that although this hotel is called Hotel des Arts Montmartre it is NOT IN MONTMARTRE, There is a hotel there called simply Hotel des Arts and it is very good. This however is not and not good value for money.List of faults: Bedding threadbare, towels very old and the coloured one covered in what looked like bleach stains. Radiator on full blast and couldnt turn it off, toilet paper not replenished, room not cleaned and bin not emptied.Noplug for the bath and no rail forthe shower so had to hold myself.Not always hot water at night.On the plus side manager very helpful for leaving bags etc and had good English,

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple