“Special Apartment #32: Perfect for us”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Special Apartments

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Special Apartments
Ranked #30 of 155 Specialty Lodging in Paris
Berwick, Canada
“Special Apartment #32: Perfect for us”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 3, 2012

We saw the apartment online and booked. The booking procedure was very easy; they are very clear in their instructions and the process was effortless. Before we left for Paris I had a few questions and they answered my emails promptly and thoughtfully. Our flight got in earlier than their stated check in, but they agreed, readily, to meet us there early.
We called them from the airport and made our way (also easy - RER to St. Michel stop, and then a 5 minute walk) to the apartment. She got there almost the same moment we did, and brought us upstairs (it's about 3 flights of stairs - not too onerous, but after a day of sightseeing I did huff a bit).
The apartment is pretty great. When we were there a giant tarp was set up in front of the bedroom and bathroom windows (looking into courtyard I think) because of construction (which seems to be ongoing in Paris). That wasn't too bad but the tarp does cover the bathroom vent to outside so it was a bit steamy in the bathroom after a shower. The bathroom itself is great - quite large by paris standards I think. There are towels, but not as many as I'd use at home but enough. There is also a small washing machine which is great, but it's very hard to actually put the detergent in the upper dispenser because of the counter. It is also very much full of mildew. (housewife tip: i have a front loading washer at home, and it's important to keep the door open after a wash until it has completely dried, and you need to wipe out the rubber ring that goes around the tub - it was that cavity that was really icky.) I wiped it out as much as I could, but it might need a good cleaning. A simple instruction to guests to leave it open after a wash would make a big difference. There is no dryer, but there is a rack for clothes.
If you're the type to lay abed 1) you're in the wrong city, and 2) you can't on a weekday because the day care over the wall is LOUD. It's not a big deal, but it made me wonder - those kids never stopped!
The kitchen is very well appointed, and while we didn't cook, we could have very easily. It's quite lovely. All we really used were wine glasses :-)
There's a nook in the wall full of books to read, and many discarded Paris travel guides (I left two of mine, fyi). We found those very helpful, actually.
The carpet is stained in places, which didn't bother me, but it WAS quite rough on bare feet, I have to say. I didn't like it. The bed was really comfy, the dresser roomy, and the living room quite comfortable. The wifi was great to have, and easy to log on to. The fact that we could use the landline to make phone calls for free was a nice plus.
The location really couldn't be better. 5 minutes and you're on either bank. Lots of lovely brasseries and cafes, and of course, Bertillon Ice cream (worth the visit). We had breakfast at the St. Regis down the road and I am officially in love with that place. Great service, the atmosphere is very "parisian" and the food was good. Try the chocolat with breakfast, you won't regret it.
In all, a really good decision on our part to stay at this apartment. We had a lovely week, and when we go to Paris again I wouldn't hesitate to stay there.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Jlevack
SpecialApartments, Owner at Special Apartments, responded to this review, January 3, 2013
Dear Jlevack,

Thank you so much for taking the time to write such a detailed review; I'm sure that will be very helpful for future guests. I've noted a few points and passed them on to housekeeping so that they look into that. I'm so glad that you enjoyed your stay, the apartment and the area and of course we'd be delighted to welcome you back there for your next trip!

John, Regis and all the team at Special Apartments Paris

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (34)
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 1, 2012

Our family had a wonderful time staying in Paris and our accommodation was fantastic! The apartment we stayed in was spacious, clean and comfortable and met our needs perfectly. We look forward to staying there again the next time we are in Paris. The gentleman who met us on our arrival made us feel welcome and was very helpful in explaining some of the best attractions in Paris...I top place to stay when in Paris !!

Room Tip: If you are looking for an apartment in the middle of Pais and are travelling with a family of 5 then...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank Matthew F
Dear Matthew F,

I'm so glad that you enjoyed your stay and especially that the apartment that you chose lived up to your expectations. Thank you for writing such a great review!

Of course we'd be delighted to welcome you back for your next trip here.

Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 12, 2012

We recently spent 4 nights in apartment #12 located in a very quiet street between the 6th and 7th. An apartment was a must as my husband and I were travelling with our two small children (5 and 3 years old). From the very first email with Special Apartments (whose name I found on tripadvisor) I was confident that my decision to book with Special Apartments was a good one. Everything was explained clearly and concisely. I was sent a contract outlining the fine details and an information booklet about the apartment via email prior to our arrival.

The apartment itself was perfect for us; a one bedroom, one bathroom apartment located on the 3rd floor with a small lift. The building security was excellent and the pull out sofa bed was perfect for our 2 little ones to share. The apartment was clean and stocked with everything that we needed for a short stay.

We were met at the apartment by Geraldine who showed us around the apartment and told us if we needed anything at all not to hesitate to call. We didn't but the service was perfect! We also paid for some shopping which was a little expensive but invaluable when 2 hungry boys wanted food straight away!

Thank you Special Apartments!! Will definitely tell our family and friends all about your service!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Kim M
Dear Kim M,

Thank you so much for taking the time to write such a glowing review. i'm so glad that you and your family enjoyed the apartment and the area.
Thank you very much for spreading the word with family and friends too!

Warm regards and Happy New Year!

Quezon city
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 7, 2012

When traveling, we tend to favor renting a villa or an apartment in a local neighborhood to really get a good feel for the place we are currently visiting. We chose Apartment #41 because it had 2 bedrooms with en suite bathrooms ( a rarity in Paris! ) and its bright white interiors met the aesthetic standards of our hubbies! (We were 2 couples traveling with both husbands being architects). Dealing via email with Special Apartments (SA) was a breeze because they always replied so promptly & had no problems communicating in perfect English. Probably the only minor drawback with booking an apartment is that you have to be very sure of your travel dates as the cancellation policy is not as generous as with booking a hotel.
We loved Apt #41 and its great neighborhood, le Marais with a lot of restaurants and cafes and little boutiques that stay open late and even on Sundays. (and if you know Paris, most stores are closed on Sundays). Make sure to eat at Quartino, just up the street of Rue Rambuteau as they serve the best Italian pizza ever with humongous toppings of cheeses & all things yummy.
A word of advice, Apt #41 is 4 stair-flights up so it isn't really handicap or heavy luggage friendly but other than that, it shouldn't also pose a problem for average folks like us.
Another minor flaw is that the bed in the second bedroom is narrower than a queen size so if
you are the type that puts a premium on bed size then you may want to choose from all the other great apartments SA has on their list.
Overall though, we totally loved the experience of living like a local- cooking our own breakfast, having all the amenities and conveniences of home ( washing machine, vacuum cleaner, ironing stuff, a wall of books and lots of current magazines - we even used their lint remover &
umbrella! ) Really, what more could we ask for? Metro stop is also a very leisurely 5 min walk away.. Take it from us and skip the hotels and book a great apartment!

Room Tip: Special Apartments carry a wide listing of apartments with lots of interior photos and a detailed de...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank marga_philippines
Dear Marga_philippines,

Thank you so much for taking the time to write such a detailed review. I'm so glad that you and your husbands enjoyed the apartment and the area where it is located.
If you ever come back to Paris, we'd be delighted to have you back with us!

Melbourne, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 6, 2012

The apartment facilities and location we absolutely fantastic, we loved being able to walk along the Seine to the Louvre and across the river to the Notre Dame. The vibrancy of the neighborhood and the multiple restaurants, patisseries and cafes were excellent. Thank you also for making the booking process so easy. We hope to return to Paris one day and will be sure to use Special Apartments once again.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Dojopk
Dear Dojopk,

Thank you so much for such a great review! I'm thrilled that you enjoyed the area and the apartment facilities.
Of course we'd be delighted to welcome you back for your next trip to Paris,

Kirkland, WA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 22, 2012

We stayed in Apartment #027 for 4 nights while in Paris for our 10th anniversary. The apartment was lovely, and all that we had hoped. For the same price as a nice hotel you get much more space, privacy, a kitchen and a washing machine. The welcome wine and coffee basket were perfect and the location is very convenient. The street is quiet, but close to cafes and the metro. We felt very safe walking around late at night. The stairway is quite steep and narrow, and the apartment is on the third floor, so do not choose this location if you have mobility issues.

Just before our trip, the manager discovered that there would be work done in the courtyard outside the window (scaffolding etc) during our stay and immediately informed us about the work and refunded part of our rent (no other apartments were available at such short notice). We appreciate how proactive they were. Excellent customer service! We did have a difficult time with the door lock. We informed the manager about the lock and they are having it replaced.

If I am ever lucky enough to return to Paris I will be renting from Special Apartments again!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank WAtravelmommy
Dear WAtravelmommy,

Thank you so much for your wonderful review! I'm so glad that you enjoyed the apartment and the area. I do apologize for the scaffolding and am happy that you were satisfied with how we dealt with that.
Hopefully we'll get the chance to welcome you back some day,

John, Regis and all the team at Special Apartments
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 17, 2012

Apartment 005 was a jewel, located right off Rue du Montorgueil, with its cafes, cheese stores, wine stores --everything you need. It's within walking distance of the Louvre, Notre Dame and all the wonders of the Marais district, including many intimate and fascinating museums. Two years ago, I and my husband stayed across the street from 005. Now that I am alone, I chose a slightly smaller place, but it actually was something of an improvement, in that it had a full, modern bathroom and a larger bedroom.
I had no special needs nor complaints, but from past experience felt sure that Geraldine et al would help if needed.
I wouldn't stay with any other company in Paris.

Kate R

Room Tip: 005 could get a tiny bit noisy due to its location over an air shaft and a courtyard. Not a problem...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
2 Thank Katharyn R
Dear Kate,

Thank you so much for your review and for coming back to stay with us a second time! I'm so glad that you enjoyed the apartment, which we just renovated and decorated last year. I'm a little confused about what you said about the air shaft, as there is just a little closed courtyard next to the bedroom, which doesn't have anything that makes noise..... When I've stayed there, I never noticed any noise, except the upstairs neighbour who is a little strange and might play a Tino Rossi song once and a while...
Anyway, so glad you enjoyed your stay and we do hope to have you back some time soon,
Warm regards and happy New Year!
From all the team at Special Apartments