“Frenchie Wine Bar - Disaster of an Evening.”
Review of Frenchie

Frenchie
Reserve with
Frenchie is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #182 of 17,520 Restaurants in Paris
Cuisines: French
Good for: Romantic, Business meetings, Local cuisine, Special occasions
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Neighborhood: Opera / Bourse
Reviewed February 9, 2013

Though we arrived early we felt pressured to order food pretty much right away. We ordered a bottle of wine and continued to look at tapas menu. First two plates came quickly, then they completely forgot about us for at least 30 minutes! Finally caught our waiter's eye, and soon after our 4th plate arrived. But where was the 3rd plate????? He accused us of eating it!! Not once, not twice but many times. He asked why we didn't tell anyone we had waited so long between plates but we had flagged down another waiter & told him! This bar is ridiculously overcrowded, we've been to Paris 8 times, adore eating at wine bars but never have experienced the crush of so many people packed in to one small room, even the waiters had difficulty maneuvering among the tables. By this time we had finished our bottle of wine and ordered a glass of a 'comparable' wine to accompany the reluctantly delivered 3rd missing tapas. Which BEGS the question 'why are there NO wines by the glass, with prices on Frenchie's wine menu?' The glass of wine they brought was overpriced, the most we were charged in any wine bar in a week of dining in Paris! We are small business owners and never ever would we treat our clients as we had been treated at Frenchie's. Registering our complaint with the manager you could see he humored us, at best, by removing the cost of one glass of wine. No apologies for the wait between plates, nor the mysterious missing plate we were accused of eating.

2  Thank Deborah P
There are newer reviews for Frenchie

Reviewed January 31, 2013

Once again, we were able to sneak in a table for two without a reservation. There are two seatings, 7:30 and 9:30. Just arrive an hour early, put in your request and enjoy a drink at the lively sister wine bar across the street. Watch your bags! The scene is so lively that the group next to us did not notice when their handbag was swiped.

1  Thank Marcy R
Reviewed January 22, 2013

There has been so much hype about Frenchie that expectations of it could very well surpass reality. Last year I called maybe 50 times, and never got through. This year you can now reserve online for dinner, yet, I called once and they picked up on the first ring. I think they are actually catching up to their run-away success and are better organised due to more staff.

That being said, Frenchie is a very small and unadorned bistro, serving a 3 course prix-fixe for 45 euros per person, with two choices available for each course. The cooking is market-driven, creative and complex. At this price, it is good value. The evening we were there, we chose an entree of crab, celeriac, sorrel and apple, which was fresh and beautifully balanced. The main we chose was lamb two ways - loin smoked and sous-vide,very tender, and belly sous-vide and then braised on the skin - and finally broiled with skin off, not so tender. The sauce on the lamb was a deeply-flavoured esplette, with carrot and harissa. Desserts were OK, but not memorable. The lychee, lemon and chocolate sable crumble was better than the chocolate bread and butter pudding with bacon ice cream.

We chose to share the extra supplement starter of Foie Gras torchon with quince at 16 euros - lovely with a glass of sparkling Vouvray. Decent wine list and they have a sommelier now to assist with wines.

Chef/owner Gregory Marchand was very visible and thoughtfully visited each table at the end of service. He was very personable and charming to everyone - this was great to see. Mixed crowd of Americans and tourists present, but also locals there, such as the table next to us, a mature Parisian couple who live close by.
If you have tried unsuccessfully in the past to reserve - try again!

Reviewed January 19, 2013

I had heard about Frenchie's Restaurant. I was lucky enough to get the chance to experience Frenchie's on my last trip to Paris. My concierge told me that it was impossible to get reservations at Frenchie's- I told him to keep trying and it worked! I was staying in the Place Vendome. It was definitely better to take a cab to this restaurant. Frenchie is wonderful, but it is not in the best area and it would be hard to find if you don't know Paris.The staff at Frenchie do a tremendous job of making you feel welcome and explaining their constantly changing menu. Dining at Frenchie was a unique experience.One minute it was empty and voila -then it was teeming with patrons.The menu is price fixed at 45 euro plus wine.The white burgundy wine that was advised was very good.We dined on oxtail with butternut squash and mushrooms. There was a choice of lamb or scallops that night.My husband and I tried both dishes.Dessert was also included. Frenchie plays popular music from the USA and England. Our hostress readily called a cab for us.This trendy restaurant was a night to remember for us on our last night in Paris.

Reviewed January 14, 2013

I waited a long time nearly 1.5 hour at the bar, because restaurant was full booked for a month. But waiter given a better seat to those who just arrived 15 mins. and I had to stand near toilet w/o a chair and being pushed by people going to toilet and bartenders as well. but the couple waited 15 mins got good seats. I was upset.

so, food arrived. waitress said it was amazing but i thought it was just average. had a thai squid salad but the thai salad i had in bangkok is WAY better. I think i cook a better food then this bar. Price is too high for the taste of food. I tasted many AMAZING food in other restaurants in Paris.

2  Thank WeePeng