“Our 3rd visit”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Frenchie

Frenchie
Reserve with
Frenchie is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #185 of 16,870 Restaurants in Paris
Cuisines: French
Good for: Local cuisine, Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Accepts American Express, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Neighborhood: Opera / Bourse
Reading, PA
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 3,594 helpful votes
“Our 3rd visit”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 22, 2012

This was our 3rd visit. I ran up a very large telephone bill trying to make a reservation - to no avail. Finally, I asked our hotel to try to make a reservation. Our hotel - after numerous attempts to make a reservation during the hours the website said to call - finally left a message saying they had been trying to make a reservation for weeks and eventually got a return phone call and were able to make a reservation. The food was good - not great and less good than our 2 previous visits.

I made a reservation for a friend - 2 months in the future. He wanted the later seating and it was quite clear that seating was reserved for "non tourists.'" The early seating was only available for him - an "AMERICAN."

The early seating is 100% tourists - which is fine - I am a tourist. It is very clear there is a distinction between the early and the late seating. It is the same food, but not the same "attitude."

6 Thank luvroma2

• Hebrew first
  • Turkish first
Minneapolis, Minnesota
“Good food, cold service”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 20, 2012

The food was exceptional, as expected, but the dining experience was somewhat lessened due to the cool and relatively non-existent service.

1 Thank 100646
Marlton, New Jersey
“Patience and luck paid off”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 18, 2012

First, the frustrating part. I learned of this restaurant through Anthony Bourdain"s No Reservations which is a most appropriately named show in this instance. Apparently, this show has a greater following than I ever imagined. My wife and I traveled to Paris during the first week of March. Approximately 3 weeks before our departure, I attempted to make a reservation calling from the U.S. The restaurant's website advises they accept reservations between 3 and 5 p.m. (Paris time). After about 20 fruitless attempts to reach a live body, I contacted our hotel and asked if they could give it a try. They also gave it several attempts and told me it was impossible to get past a recorded message. I finally gave it one last ditch effort and succeeded in speaking to a lovely hostess who sadly advised the restaurant was booked the entire week we would be in Paris. However, she suggested we drop by around 7 p.m. and give our name as occasionally they get cancellations. She further advised that Frenchie has a small wine bar across the very narrow street which serves tapas fare. (Please note the restaurant is only opened Monday - Friday and has two seatings at 7:30 and 9:30).
On our first Monday night in town, we dutifully arrived at the restaurant at 6:45 p.m. and gave our name to the hostess, who it turns out was the woman I spoke with on the phone. We proceeded to the wine bar and stood at the bar as the place was very small. Several tables were occupied with parties sharing tapas dishes, which looked delicious. We ordered some wine and perused the tapas menu in case we had to eat in the wine bar. The dishes on the menu all sounded very interesting and I suspect we would not be disappointed if that was our only option. While drinking our wine, Chef Greg Marchand, came into the bar and I struck up a brief conversation with him as I recognized him from some research I had done on the restaurant. He was very cordial. After he went back to the restaurant my wife asked the bartender what our chances were of getting into the restaurant. He replied in all honesty, not very good. By 7:30 as we were about to order from the tapas menu the hostess came up to us and advised they had a cancellation. The Gods (or possibly the chef) were surely looking down on us. I suspect it may have been due to our visit to Notre Dame that morning.
The restaurant is small but inviting. It may seat no more than 40 people which partially explains why reservations are difficult. I detected a number of American voices engaged in conversation around us (the Bourdain factor?). We had a young Australian fashion designer and her mother sitting at an adjoining table and had a very pleasant conversation with them throughout the evening. It turns out the hostess, who spoke perfect English, was also our waitress. The menu is a three course set menu with two choices per course (@ 42 euros/person). For an extra 18 euro we added a fois gras course. We each ordered different dishes for each course which enabled us to taste each dish offered. We also splurged and opted for a wine pairing for each course. Both my wife and I are self described "foodies". The food exceeded all expectations. It was a creative blend of ingredients, tastes, and textures. It was the best meal we had in Paris the entire week week which made all the effort worthwhile. Our Australian friends concurred with this assessment. Frenchie was well worth the effort and hope to return again (If I can get over the reservation hurdle).

2 Thank LCos54
Hong Kong, China
“Not easy to book but persist...this is one for the foodies at heart!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 5, 2012

Making a reservation at Frenchie can be a real challenge as they only take bookings between 3pm - 5pm from Monday to Friday but trust me, it is worth the effort. I have dined there three times and it never disappoints. Even the bread, butter with a little rock salt sprinkled on top is excellent!

The chef uses the freshest ingredients coupled with skillful preparation and creativity. All you have to do is get ready for a taste sensation. Good wine list too.

Bon ap!

• Visited September 2011
5 Thank Lychee-Caprioska
Marrakech
“best meal in Paris”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 1, 2012

tried to get in several nights in a row, but it was always full. Finally got a cancellation - so happy, it was a great meal. Best starter I have ever eaten, anywhere ! Also look at the little spin off - don't know the name, but its Frenchie bar on the opposite side of the road.

Visited January 2012