“If you're not after absolute perfection, it's absolutely perfect!”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Residence Pelican

Residence Pelican
Ranked #38 of 155 Specialty Lodging in Paris
Christchurch, New Zealand
“If you're not after absolute perfection, it's absolutely perfect!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 22, 2011

I am a bit surprised to see some of the negative reviews on this property. We stayed for seven nights and although it wasn't 5-star perfection it was lovely. A few things to mention--
A) It is down a small street that one could mistake for an alley; however we came to find that this "alleyway" had a number of shops, small businesses and another hotel in it. It's incredibly well lit at night and a great shortcut to get to another street with an amazing bakery on it. And a number of posh clothing stores including a Louboutin shoe shop!
B) The "bars" right below the hotel are actually restaurants and had some of the best food and service we experienced the entire trip. Bistro dining people!
C) This is an apartment, not a hotel. When you stay at an apartment you provide yourself with toilet paper, cleaning supplies, etc. I was pleasantly surprised to see that Fred had actually provided SOME of these things for us as that is not the norm. We did have to top up during the stay. (From the supermarket that was about ten feet away from the apt.)
D) The rooms were clean; again if you are expecting five-star-hotel-clean, stay at a hotel.
E) Our washing machine did not work so Fred gave us some money to use the laundry downstairs. A bit inconvenient but a nice gesture from him.
F) It does get a bit noisy from people down at the restaurants and my husband did have trouble sleeping. I did not. It depends on how light a sleeper you are and if those sorts of things bother you.
G) No elevator so if you don't like walking don't stay here. We love walking, it was good exercise. Fred helped us with our bags which was awesome.

All in all the apartment was great, the location incredible (two minutes to the Louvre) and the experience wonderful. Having two supermarkets, three incredible bistros, two bakeries (yum!) and a Velib bike station within 30 seconds of the apartment made us feel like we were living the Paris lifestyle. I would recommend anyone stay at Residence Pelican as long as they can accept imperfection.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
6 Thank Splash135

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
  • Arabic first
Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 6, 2011

My friend and I stayed in the penthouse at Résidence Pélican for the entire month of April, and we are very satisfied with our stay. Some negative reviews are puzzling, but I suppose it depends on one's expectations and the length of your stay. We thought of it as staying at a friend's apartment for a month; when you stay in someone's home, you don't expect it to be totally spotless - this isn't the Hôtel de Crillon. We wanted a two-bedroom apartment with a kitchen in the heart of Paris at a reasonable price, and we absolutely needed a reliable and fast wireless Internet connection and a washer-dryer, and we got all that. This two-floor apartment is modern, has a very private patio, a well-equipped kitchen with many accessories, a large couch, sufficient storage space, lots of windows, comfortable beds, a convenient washroom setup (one toilet, one small room with a shower stall, and a larger bathroom with sink and bathtub) and, for those who like that sort of thing, televisions with many channels. The building is located in a narrow street very close to the Louvre and the Palais Royal, various food and wine shops and restaurants and the subway - an excellent location. As for cleanliness, which several people have mentioned, I would say that the apartment felt "lived in" - not unlike someone's home, nothing that I would find disgusting in any way: a couple of stains on the couch, and such. The kitchen and bathrooms were very clean upon our arrival, and since this was a long-term stay, we didn't mind vacuuming and cleaning ourselves - you can do it the way you like, and you have more privacy than in a hotel room.
Also, it is important to note that the apartment is on the 6th floor (or 5th floor as the French count them) with no elevator - a reasonable level of physical fitness is required. Frédéric was kind enough to take our luggage upstairs upon our arrival.
All in all, we really enjoyed our experience in Frédéric's property.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled with friends
2 Thank frankinto
Peebles Scottish Borders
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 5, 2011

We picked this because of the good reviews on trip advisor and we didn't want to stay at a big anonymous hotel. Unfortunately we didn't see the poor reviews until our return.
I should start with the positive- it is in an excellent location and Fred was polite and helpful. Unfortunately that in my opinion does not make up for the negatives. On arrival we were greeted by Fred in a dark and smoke ridden stairwell, he told us the apartment was not ready (which was fine as we were a little early). we were taken up to the apartment where the cleaner was mid clean which led us to believe it would be cleaner on our return. I should note the kitchen area was reasonably clean but it was the floor and upholstery that was disgusting. I had to buy a pair of slippers which I threw away when I left because I would not consider putting my feet on the floor. The sofa bed was broken as were all the so called high tec equipment (coffee maker, Ipod dock etc.), a number of lamps didn't work either because of broken light bulbs or very dodgy looking wiring. The duvet for the sofa bed was disgusting although Fred bought a new duvet , sheets and cover. I was travelling with my mum and it was her first visit to Paris unfortunately it cast a dark shadow on what is otherwise a wonderful city.

• Stayed March 2011
4 Thank LR1ScottishBorders
Olympia, Washington
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 28, 2011

The apartment I rented was so cool, with Bali style decor and very cozy. I felt immediately comfortable and at home here. The location is perfect for anyone interested in being in the very heart of the city and the metro is literally a two minute walk away. The apartment building is less than a block to the Louvre grounds and gardens, the Seine, artsy little neighborhoods and great shopping. There's a grocery store right around the corner, across the street from a great little bakery that has a million delicious options, savory and sweet. I just loved being able to step outside my door and immediately be swept up into lovely Paris. Couldn't recommend the apartment more.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled with friends
Nuremberg, Germany
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 12, 2011

When we arrived to Pelican Residence the taxi driver asked if we are sure this is it, because even from the outside it is not very inviting. It is located on a side street, more like an alley with lots of bars.

Fred was there, but the appartement was the dirtiest place I have ever seen. It hadn´t been cleaned in months. There was a disgusting brown used old sponge in the kitchen sink. The glasses and cups were filthy. There was dust everywhere.
The bathroom didn´t even have toilet paper. There were two small cheap towels for the 4 of us. I didn´t even want to walk on the floors.

Half of the light bulbs were broken and it was very dark in the room. In the evening we pulled out the sofabed for the children, the matress was stained all over and the bed was broken and could not be made up to sleep on. Fred got us an inflatable matress. I would have gone camping if I wanted that!

Pelican residence is not nearly what they say on the web site. 200 Euros a night for a dump like this is ridiculous. I left immedately the next morning. I did not want to take a shower in that bathroom. The thought of another night there would have totally ruined our trip. They credited the whole stay to my credit card saying I hadn´t cancelled soon enough. How can you cancel in advance if you don´t know what the place is actually like? DO NOT STAY HERE YOU WILL BE VERY SORRY

There are lots of lovely clean hotels in great locations for the same price.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled with family
5 Thank anit D
Vienna, Austria
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 14, 2010

The location is in the center of Paris one street north of the Louvre. Many good restaurants and bakeries in walking distance. The house has 5 appartments, 2 bigger, 2 smaller and 1 penthouse. We stayed in one of the bigger app called "fashion", very nice design, clean and quiet because situated in a small side street. Frederick, the manager of the house, is very friendly and helps with many infos you need as tourist.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank mark3000
Singapore
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 6, 2010

Well located, but away from the traffic buzz. Attached Kitchen allows flexibility of preparing meals as an alternative to the often rich food one gets in the City.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled with friends