“Great Food, no atmosphere!”
Review of Le Petit Bordelais - CLOSED

Le Petit Bordelais
Cuisines: French
Good for: Special occasions, Local cuisine, Business meetings, Romantic
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: Tour Eiffel / Invalides
Description: Le Petit Bordelais features regular in the restaurant columns of French newspapers and magazines. This chic fine dining restaurant is between les Invalides and the Eiffel Tower. The décor is sophisticated and the service warm and welcoming.There is a definate South West influence in the regularly changing menu, for example the side of beef in a Bordeaux sauce.
Reviewed March 20, 2014

We went there March 14th, the restaurant is nice with calm decor. We were a group of six, the area has a lot of restaurants. The food overall was very good. However, there is no atmosphere whatsoever, too quiet, no music, everyone whispering. We were loud (oh yeah, typical Americans!), but we are out to dine, not to go to church. The service is way below average. The two fish dishes we ate were excellent, the foie gras was very disappointing (my son ordered it). The mille feuille was wow! I would not go back because of the atmosphere. I have to say many of the other TA reviewers were right about this. Also not cheap ( I am comparing to many good restaurants in that area)!

1  Thank hnasr
There are newer reviews for Le Petit Bordelais

Reviewed February 15, 2014

I called a few weeks ahead to book a table for two and was greeted by Chef Philippe Pentecôte who picked up the phone. He was very engaging and friendly and I instantly knew we were in for a treat.

The restaurant is located just off the popular foodie haven rue Saint-Dominique. It's premises are simply but well decorated with a predominance of red hues.

We had a quick look at the menus and both settled for the Tasting Menu. Fear not, non-french speaking customers, they have english menus! Whilst we were waiting for our meal to start, we were brought a basket of warm freshly made bread with butter. The bread was so delicious that we polished off the entire basket before our amuse bouche arrived.
Speaking of amuse bouche, the prawn with a leak tartare and hollandaise sauce was light and full of flavours. A promising start to the meal.

The starter was a foie gras flavoured gingerbread roulade with a pear jelly. Not your typical way of serving foie gras but nonetheless very tasty and surprisingly light.
Our fish dish was the turbot with a soft celery and truffle base and crunchy puff pastry covered in olive tapenade. It truly was the star of the meal. The fish was incredibly tender and tasty. The explosion of flavours and textures involved in the confection of the dish was amazing. I'm a bit of a glutton but the food was so good that I took the time to savour every single bite.
We then moved on to the roasted saddle of lamb with its eggplant and parmesan cannelloni. The meat was cooked to perfection. It was so juicy and melted in our mouths. The cannelloni was a great addition, it was delicious but not too present or bold to overpower the meat.
The cheese platter was nice, but not memorable. We weren't blown away, perhaps because we eat a lot of cheese from Vacroux and la Fromagerie Boursault and therefore have ridiculously high standards. Total cheese snobs!
The dessert was a savarin served with a rum infused cream and fresh fruit. It was light and refreshing. The perfect way to end the meal. My husband had a coffee and it came with mini madeleines and some cannelés. I'm a huge fan of cannelés and might have eaten my husband's...

My husband had the wine pairing. He said the wines were great matches and complimented each dish. His favourite was a Lillet which is a dessert or aperitif wine that he had with the savarin.

The portions are generous but not overly so that you feel heavy and lethargic when you leave. We actually went for a stroll after the meal and felt great. We also spent the entire time talking about what a great meal we had just had.
Price wise, I think €135 for two tastings menus (one with wine pairing) is great value.

I have to mention the brilliant staff and the Chef. The servers were professional and efficient. The star was and is Philippe Pentecôte, who is a real sweetheart. He took the time to greet and chat with every customer. He did so with great enthusiasm and friendliness.

The whole experience surpassed our expectations. We cannot wait to go back!!
I would recommend booking in advance to avoid being turned away.

Visited on 3rd January 2014.

2  Thank Alexandra B
Reviewed January 25, 2014

After a long and accurate search on Trip Advisor, I booked this restaurant for a family New Year's Eve dinner. My main goal was to dine close to the Eiffel Tower as to be able to walk there and see the fireworks at midnight, so having to choose between a 7.30 and a 10 p.m. sitting, I decided for the last one. Unfortunately, we had to wait in queue outside the restaurant for a half hour since most tables were still occupied and we were finally seated at 10:45. Not a great start, but the atmosphere was so nice, the waitresses so kind and attentive, the food and its presentation so delightful…that we didn't mind missing the spectacular fireworks since a not less amazing show was taking place around us, in that cosy restaurant.
We enjoyed each and every course and each and every wine that was served to us. I have particularly loved the scallops, the lamb and the white wine served with a lovely foie gras, Chateau Adélaide 2004. The portions were also so balanced that we all had no problem to fully enjoy the dessert till the last bite!

Congratulations to the chef, who came to our table to exchange a few words. We'll be pleased to be your guests again, next time we come to Paris!

Reviewed December 25, 2013

We booked this restaurant in advance through BookaTable.com and were not disappointed. The service was great, the food was delicious and we even got to meet the chef who was very friendly. Like most Parisian restaurants it does not open until after 7.30pm, so don't worry if it looks closed if you are there on time.

Reviewed November 21, 2013

Chef Pentecote's cuisine, flair, style, taste, service, atmosphere and pairings are a treasure in this neighborhood filled with potential jewels. The wine list was accessible for any budget. The only problem with this menu is that you want to order everything! Fresh ingredients in a palette painted by a true artiste! (The play on palate intended!)