“Photos on website are deceptive”

My Hotel in France le Marais by HappyCulture
Ranked #1,066 of 1,804 Hotels in Paris
Reviewed August 12, 2012

Where to start? This isn't exactly my definition of a hotel. This felt more like a glorified hostel, than a hotel. The moment I stepped into the lobby, it really didn't feel hotel'ish. There was no air-conditioning. The lobby was cramped. And the lobby elevator could barely fit a luggage and one other person.

As for the room itself, calling it small would be an overstatement. It was TINY! Anything larger than a carry on luggage would have been too big. Of course, similar to the lobby, there was no air-conditioning in the room. We had a small little fan to keep us cool, but the room was unusually hot. I suppose that was to be expected considering it was summer. You could open up the window, but it was extremely noisy outside. We were on the 1st floor. I honestly did not get my sleep after the 1st night. Finally, what made me realize that it was time to switch was the roach we found in the shower. That was it, I had enough. We were suppose to stay there for 4 nights, but quickly cancelled after the 1st night and moved on to Novotel. Best decision ever!

This was bordering on a one star, but I thought that would be too harsh. Again, read the reviews, even the negative ones in great detail, because they do depict the reality of what the pictures do not show. I'm frankly quite shocked at some of the 4-5 star comments. I have no idea how ANYBODY could rate this a 4-5 star. It is NOWHERE close to that.

Room Tip: Pay a little bit more and get a hotel with air-conditioning, especially during the summer.
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Simon L
0140290133, General Manager at My Hotel in France le Marais by HappyCulture, responded to this reviewResponded September 10, 2012

Bonjour Madame,

Thank you to have send us your feedback on tripadvisor. I do not ignore your visible disappointment but I do not understand at all. You would have to announce us your faintness, we shall have found the solutions to make your stay in better and good conditions. We are available 24 hours a day at the front desk reception.

Do not hesitate to contact me personaly, I will be very happy to find the best solution for your next stay.

Best regards,

Rachid Oumakhlouf
Hotel Manager

Reviewed August 8, 2012

The room was quiet and clean but it's small and we missed a wardrobe. The location is good and metro station is very near. The personal service good too. We recommend it if you go to Paris for few days and with a small suitecase.

• Stayed: August 2012

Bonjour from Paris My Hotel In France Le Marais,

We are really happy to read your feedback through Tripadvisor.com.You share your nice experience in our hotel and we are really appreciate that. Our hotel i situated in the center of Paris city in the famous Marais area. Easly walk to monuments, museums, restaurant and shops.

Take advanatge of our All For You Offer when you make your reservation in our own website. We offer your Welcome drink, Buffet breakfast, lunch box and internet access.

Rachid Oumakhlouf, hotel manager
With My Hotel In France Le Marais Team

Reviewed August 8, 2012

The reception staff were most welcoming and spoke good English - better than my French!! The lift to our room on the 3rd floor was so small that for only two people with two carry-on bags it was a real squash. Our room was clean and well furnished with two good sized windows giving views over the busy streets. The bathroom and shower were quite adequate but definitely only room for one at a time. The main problem was that getting round the bedroom required lots of negotiating skills. There was almost no open floor space. The buffet breakfast was good of its type and there was plenty of choice. The complimentary packed lunch was simple but really filled a gap for us in the middle of the day. We would stay here again - it's in a good location but slightly off the tourist track.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple

Madame, Monsieur bonjour from Paris,

Merci beaucoup!! to have share your great experience in My Hotel In France Le Marais Paris.
We really appreciate your message with compliments about us and also about the hotel standing.

Do not hesitate to contact us directly for your next nequest, we will be really enjoyed to welcome you again.

Best regards.

Rachid Oumakhlouf, hotel manager with My Hotel In France Le Marais team.

Reviewed August 5, 2012

Surprise, surprise, like nearly every hotel in Paris, the rooms are small - but it's the same in most European cities. Plus, who goes to Paris in the Summer to sit in their hotel room? The room was very clean and quiet for the duration of our stay. The lift (which JUST managed to fit my parter and I in at the same time..) was tiny - but VERY convenient as you could at least send your luggage up/down without having to carry it up or down numerous flights of stairs. Breakfast (which was included) was fine and all the staff that we dealt with were lovely.

Now, in terms of location, you simply can't beat the Marais district in Paris (in my opinion anyway). If it's bars you want, this area has it. If it's restaurants you're looking for, this area has it. If shopping is your thing then the Marais is PERFECT! If it's gorgeous architecture and hidden, adorable little parks & gardens then look no further. The Marais has it all. Everything I've just mentioned was within an easy 5 minute stroll from the hotel.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank PhilsHolidays
0140290133, General Manager at My Hotel in France le Marais by HappyCulture, responded to this reviewResponded August 13, 2012

Bonjour from My Hotel In France Le Marais Paris,

Thank you very much to have share your nice experience in our hotel. We are really happy to read your feedback from SIDNEY!!
You advance the great location of our establishment situated in the center in the Marais area, the good quality, alo our freindly staff and we really apreciate it.

Reviewed July 29, 2012

The hotel is placed just 5-10 minutes walk from the shopping area of Marais. The room was small, as they are in Paris, but it was clean and cozy.There were no aircon, but open window and fan did the trick. Of course that did invite a lot of noice from the city... We had trouble with the luggage getting away at the airport and the hotel staff took action and were very helpfull. The breakfast was poor but with all the cozy cafes in the area that was not a concern. We had a room on the top floor (6) and the elevator was made for one+ luggage:)
I would have no problem going back, or recomend it to others now that you know about the size, breakfast and elevator.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Ivar T

Bonjour Monsieur from Paris,

We thank you very much to have share your experience in My Hotel In France Le Marais Paris.
Your message is trully an encouragement to provide good quality to our guest.

All our team is remaining at your disposal,
We really hope to welcome you again

Rachid Oumakhlouf, hotel manager with My Hotel's team

Reviewed July 29, 2012

I like the location. It is close to many cafes, restaraunts and markets. It is within walking distance of L'hotel de ville and metro system. There is a bakery next door and a market just around the corner of the hotel. The staff was fantastic. I thank them for helping with my French, communicaton when needed. Rooms are smaller than American are used to, but my room was very clean, and comfortable. There is some street noise late night, but I kept my window open and actually enjoyed the atmosphere as part of my experience. A light breakfast is provided and a bag lunch is offered that you can take out while exploring the city. I would definantly recommend staying here, and if I get back to Paris, If you need a trip back to the airport and don't want to deal with the metro, they can call a taxi. Taxi was right on time and costs about 60 E to the trip back to Charles DG airport.

Room Tip: I night noise is an issue take a higher floor and consider ear plugs. Rooms can get a bit stuffy in...
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank kool113
0140290133, General Manager at My Hotel in France le Marais by HappyCulture, responded to this reviewResponded July 31, 2012

Bonjour from My Hotel In France Le Marais Paris,

Thank you very much to have share your nice experience in our hotel. We are really happy to read your feedback. You advance the great location of our establishment situated in the real city center in the Marais area, the good quality of our services, our freindly staff and we really apreciate.

We hope to welcome you again very soon.
Me and my staff are remaining at your disposal.

Reviewed July 11, 2012

We spent 2 nights here in July 2012. I was expecting a tiny room, but we were pleasantly surprised by our room's size and comfort. We did keep bumping into the "closet" rack, but other than that, it was great. Beautifully decorated (contemporary), an effective fan, great shower, comfy bed, street noise nothing major, and best of all: free breakfast (very good), free WiFi and free takeaway lunch (nothing fancy). The staff were wonderfully helpful with directions (merci beaucoup). Excellent location near the St Sebastien-Froissart metro stop. Don't miss the patisserie next door and Cafe Royale. For fun, ask a local how to get to My Hotel in France. You'll end up in a real Who's on First conversation like I did. Very funny.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
Management response:Responded July 13, 2012

Dear Madam,

Merci beaucoup to have taking the time to share your great experience in My Hotel In France Le Marais. Your message is really important for all of our team, we really appreciate your feedback about the good quality of our services, staff, breakfast,lunch box and location. We thank you very much for that.

We hope to welcome you again soon.