“Perfect atmosphere”

Georges Opera
Cuisines: Portuguese
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: Opera / Bourse
Description: Georges Opera restaurant and piano bar in Paris in the fabulous district between the Opera and the Place Vendome offers a gastronomic experience in a warm, attractive milieu. The decor is simple and smart, with creamy-coloured walls, modern art works, dark velours banquettes, and the presence of the piano for live music each evening. The menu changes with the market and the seasons, and is essentially French cuisine terroir, though there is a special emphasis on dishes of Portugal, like cassolette of prawns Algarve style, two types of cod, as well as foie gras in port. There really is a Georges here, and he will welcome you and make your dining experience a seamlessly pleasant one.
Reviewed June 5, 2013

What a perfect place to celebrate an engagement!

Quiet, small and romantic. Great food, good wine and the service was exceptional. Live piano entertainment.

George refers to all his guests as his friends and by the time you have dined you feel it is the case.

Will return for our anniversary!

All of this for very reasonable prices.

1  Thank AusMattH

Reviewed May 28, 2013

George is the perfect host. He is charming and treats his customers like personal friends. The food and drink is great. The fillet steak was the best I've had and the wine was superb. We will definitely return.

1  Thank Mikerob730
Reviewed May 28, 2013

We had arrived at 'Le Grand' on a Monday holiday and even our first night restaurant, Papparazzi, was closed. We told Phillipe the concierge that we were 'full to the nose' of fine dining after 4 nights at different 3* michelin restaurants around Burgundy. We wanted basic , delicious, fresh and easy ambiance. He sent us over to Georges Opera and when we first walked in I was a bit dubious. There is 80's disco music playing soflty in the background and the restaurant has seen better days. All of that changed in a heartbeat when 'George' the owner came over to our table. He loves his restaurant and is proud of his kitchen and it shows. His origin happens to be Portugese and although I love the French to death...it was nice to have such a warm, high energy interaction with M. George. The menu is basic bistro fare with a few portuguese dishes thrown in and most important, there are some amazing salads offered as main dishes. I am happy to say that the menu is as fun and as delightful as George himself and I can see why people escape here for a nice, easy meal while giving their tummies a break. First...I don't order Onion Soup in France. Call me a snot....or someone who ordered it so many times when i was in my 20s and in Paris, eating at little inexpensive bistros... that I feel it is a 'total tourist dish'. George recommended highly as something to go with our entrees of 'Salade Nicoise'. I decided to go with the flow and I ordered it with my partner, Well! I have never tasted onion soup that truly tasted as it was not thrown together with tons of cheese for tourists The soup was rich and filled with herbs and of course, onions. The bread was crisp yet soft and the light layer of gruyere cheese was superb (George explained that he has been going to the sane Fromagerie for his cheeses for many years) The salads could not have been fresher and packed with flavor and the fish was fresh, fresh , fresh! A nice little house wine of Rose from the Var region was light and delcious and very reasonable and we ended the meal with a bit of homemade Glaces , the flavor 'creme brûlée. We had spent almost an hour and a half enjoying everything and there was no rushing to have us pay the check. If you are in the need for this type of meal....this is the 'home-run Bistro' in Paris.

3  Thank LeTerrible
Reviewed May 27, 2013

My wife and I were staying at the Hotel Westminster, just round the corner in Rue de lai Paix, and walked past Georges Opera on our way to catch a bus when my wife noticed the menu on display had several Portugese dishes including Bacalhoa a Bras as well as a range of fFench dishes. As we like Portugese food we went back that evening for an excellent and very reasonalbly priced meal of Bacalhou a Bras and Bacalhou Gomez, both were very authentic and delicious. The meal, with a glass of wine each, came to only euros 48.97 including taxes.
At such a price for a good meal we were tempted and returned for dinner the next day to a friendly welcome from the two young girls front of house. They worked hard, running the bar, taking orders and serving food but were always helpful and friendly. We were not disappointed on our return. Our second meal was also a success and similarly priced though a little higher as we had two courses.

1  Thank Robert-J
Reviewed May 26, 2013

We have traveled to Paris three times since 1999 and we've always made time to visit Georges no matter which arrondissement our hotel is in. We realize that there are 10,000 good cafes and restaurants in Paris, but there is value to a friendly family-owned place where you are as welcome and important as those who are more frequent customers. We had a wonderful dining experience in May with good wine and food and lovely, but not intrusive, music. The restaurant is near the Opera Garnier and the Intercontinental Grand Hotel as well s countless other hotels and attractions. When you go tell Georges, Marilu and dear Florence (if she's there), that we hope to be back!