“Mediocre food, curious service”

L'Ardoise Gourmande
Ranked #244 of 17,520 Restaurants in Paris
Cuisines: French
Good for: Local cuisine, Business meetings, Romantic, Large groups
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Lunch, Reservations
Neighborhood: Chateau d'Eau / Gare du Nord
Reviewed March 15, 2013

We wanted to have a good meal before catching the Eurostar without have to rush, so did some research on the Tripadvisor app (highly recommended) regarding restaurants in the Gard du Nord area. Having read copious reviews of the neighbourhood theirs was the first that was nearly unanimously positive, so we settled for it.

On arriving shortly after 7pm the place was empty save for a canoodling couple at the far end. The waiter acknowledged us but made no effort to seat us until my friend approached him - he seemed pre-occupied with serving that couple. And even as he gave us a table he did not pull it out of the banquette as if he expected one of us to squeeze into it.

He seemed to be the only waiter at the place and, at one stage, there was no staff there at all as he went out to bring some cases in . Curiously, as the place filled up he got friendlier and more efficient.

As for the food, the prix fix menu my friend chose was frankly boring - a slab of 'gamey' terrine (it was large) and a slab of meat. I decided to push the boat out and had the lobster salad, which was half a shelled lobster with mayonnaise mixed with ketchup - sorry, seafood dressing, and a few leaves served on a slate board. At €22 it was what it was, at least you could see there was half a lobster there.

I followed that with a confit de canard, one of my favourites and hard to do badly.

I was wrong. As I cook the dish myself I know it's usually pre-cooked and reheated before serving. But given the restaurant was still not very busy mine was so overdone in the frying pan that the meat on the outside was quite tough. When I eat this in a restaurant I often wonder how they make it tastier than mine but on this occasion, ironically in France of all places, it was worse than amateur. And at €18 it didn't stretch beyond a little puree potatoe.

A point about the decor. They've got some lovely chandeliers there, giving the appearance of a classy joint. I can't understand why they decided to add a couple of cheap-looking, oversized, unmistakably Ikea lamp shades.

Interesting that, given the consensus that there aren't many good restaurants in the area, there's Chez Michel and Chez Casimir virtually next door to this restaurant, and both have better reviews. Just our bad luck for settling!

There are newer reviews for L'Ardoise Gourmande

Reviewed March 4, 2013

It is difficult to find a good restaurants in this area. This one looked to do the job. Interesting interior and some interesting items on the menu: scallops and a chance to try a degustation of various starters mainly based on sea items. The scallops were good but the degustation was not that memorable. A fellow diner liked the rissotto. We had two evening menus (each at 22 Euro), One ardoise gourmande for 22 Euros, 1 scallop dish for 24 Euros and a bottle of the most expensive Sancerre and two coups plus profiteroles.

Tip: do share the profiteroles. The dish is too large for one person. The waiter never mentioned that. Also the service was awkward. Not fully professional and therefore not worthy of the prices they are charging.

Reviewed March 3, 2013

Near Place Vendome. Starters were phyllo wrapped goat cheese, and crab croquettes. Main courses were chicken fricassee and grilled lamb chops. There were 3 large ones on my plate. Wine and dessert completed the meal. Not too pricey. A local bistro.

Reviewed February 17, 2013 via mobile

We came here on our first night in paris and after dropping our luggage in our hotel we found our way here. We didn't book a table but they fitted us in even though it was quite busy, and our waitor was really friendly. There were only a few staff but service was excellent and the food was absolutely delicious. Would definitely recommend!

Reviewed January 10, 2013

What a lovely way to end our stay in Paris. We had been given directions to a different restaurant, which turned out to be closed for the Christmas/New Year season. It was a cold, wet night and having walked for the best part of 10 hours that day, we were going to give up and eat bread and cheese in our hotel room. Fortunately a door opened in front of us and a warm welcoming light beckoned us in. Our inability to converse in french was not a problem. The waiter was delightful in his interpretation of the menu. Nothing was too much trouble. A wonderful, delicious, 3 course traditional french meal ensued. When returning to Paris in April this restaurant will be our first "port of call". I also agree with other reviews, it is not located in the best area of Paris.