“Shockingly Bad - Tepid, Bland Pre-Cooked Entrees and Galling Service”
Review of Le Chenin

Le Chenin
Reserve with
Le Chenin is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #140 of 17,424 Restaurants in Paris
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: Opera / Bourse
Lviv, Ukraine
“Shockingly Bad - Tepid, Bland Pre-Cooked Entrees and Galling Service”
Reviewed May 31, 2013

We picked this restaurant for an authentic Parisian meal on the one evening we had in Paris based on its TA reviews and location.

What a horrible mistake.

The place is a charming, if cramped bistro. It was packed with locals when we arrived, and we were seated at the only free table close to the door. Given the cheery din of French dinner conversation and the intimate, unpretentious feel we were really expecting something great.

The menu is in French only, and is found on a chalkboard hung on the wall and a menuboard placed in front of the bar. I translated most of the menu to my girlfriend, but hoped the waiter would fill in the blanks. As has been mentioned, no English is really spoken here. Fine, but the waiter was positively insulting to my girlfriend, insistently speaking French in a rude, pushy way to here although she clearly did not speak the language. My queries in French about this or that dish were met with what I can only describe as derision. I asked if the place had a Traminette or Gewurtztraminer. The waiter, who should have understood these requests, did not, and replied by asking if I wanted a red or white wine.

The waiter continued being pushy about the menu, not giving us any time to discuss or for me to translate. We rather hurriedly settled on duck confit and beef onglet. I ordered two glasses of the house white.

Five minutes later one glass was poured. The second glass was only poured after a reminder and a several minute wait.

Our entrees were both served with cold dice potatoes and small salads with overpowering balsamic dressing. The onglet was not tough and tasteless. The confit was greasy and devoid of spice or flavor.

We witnessed the same rude behavior to another guest, a Russian woman who we translated for. The waiter spoke French over the woman's protests that she didn't understand, insulted her for wanting a salad (what, is your son a vegetarian), and ridiculed her when she asked that her onglet (I should have warned her!) be cooked because it was too tough. She asked for a glass of orange juice, and was corrected "No, jus d'orange!". I really can't understand this kind of behavior from an establishment that has built a reputation and a solid ranking based on reviews from foreigners. And I spoke French throughout the evening with our waiter, so it's not just an issue of language.

In the end, we were outraged by the waiter's rude, overbearing behavior toward ourselves and other foreign guests. The food was simply awful and overpriced - 60 EUR for an evening that was tasteless in all senses of the word. Foreign guests, please avoid this establishment for one that takes some care and pride with both its food and service.

• Visited May 2013
3 Thank jjoeriman

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
Sao Paulo, SP
“good food, little overrated”
Reviewed May 29, 2013

I had a overall good experience, booking in advance at he date of my arrival in Paris because of TA comments and being 5m walking from my hotel.

I´m not sure If is the best option for someone who has to take a taxi or the metro.

Good food, almost very good, good service for just one of the owners and worth a visit if you stay in the nearbys.
Good salmon but average charcruterie as entrees, average main fish but superb meat dish and very good desert (mini version of several deserts).

• Visited April 2013
1 Thank cozonis
Canterbury, United Kingdom
“Not as good as hoped”
Reviewed May 29, 2013

Very little English spoken but staff helpful and we managed to get sorted. Menu limited. Very poor for vegetarians. Owner was present and does become annoying after a short while. Lots of tourists some locals. Nice atmosphere , small and tables very close to each other. All in all better places and better value around in the area

• Visited May 2013
2 Thank Ian H
Dronfield
“Great little restaurant well worth a visit”
Reviewed May 28, 2013

We prebooked as recommended for an anniversary celebration . We booked a taxi from our hotel which was a good plan as we wouldn't of found it on our own. This little bistro was fantastic we had a lovely traditional meal the staff couldn't of been any more helpful with our menu choice which was a hand written chalk board in French they recommended different things for each of us and even made my dad a special orange sauce for his duck I would say it was the best meal we had In Paris. They even made a special cake for our family celebration which was delicious. I would recommend it to all my friends. It was extremely reasonable for home cooked parisian food at approx 48 euros each , for a starter, main and cake with wine. Thank you Le Chenin

Visited April 2013
“Not as good as expected”
Reviewed May 27, 2013 via mobile

This was good but not great , food was ok but expensive for what it was very French does not cater for English. Bad place to go if you have a vegetarian in your party. All in all would not rush back easy to find from maps

Visited May 2013