“If you don't really care....”
Review of Riviera Hotel

Riviera Hotel
Ranked #1,698 of 1,803 Hotels in Paris
Reviewed February 20, 2014

If you are a budget traveler and don't care about amenities or any type of luxories, go for it. Otherwise, find a different hotel.

If I was just visiting Paris as a tourist, I wouldn't care, because I would not be spending time in my hotel room. But I was on business, so I skipped the Eiffel Tower tour and the boat ride. I arrived at the end of the day after 5 days of tiring work and travel. The first thing I did was flop on the bed and turn on the TV. Unfortunately, I could feel the springs into my back from the cheap mattress and the TV only had 2 channels. The light in the bathroom flickered on and off, the sink plug was broken so it would not drain, unless manually, and you had to squeeze into the shower sideways.

Did I mention there was an off smell in the room? But I guess that is normal being a cheap hotel next to the Red Light District.

So I would love to say you pay for what you get, but the truth is I have stayed at many hotels in Paris in the same price range, and had very nice rooms. This one fell short. But the location was good.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled on business

Reviewed February 6, 2014

If you're on a budget and don't mind a tiny hotel room…this place is for you.
This isn't the 4 seasons, but did you travel to PAris to stay in your hotel room all day?

Don't bother with the continental breakfast….go out.

Will return.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled with friends
Reviewed November 16, 2013

I don't know why people gave very bad feedback for this hotel as if this is a hell. If you are not ready to pay a fortune and stay at Four Seasons, just lower your expectation for stay at any hotel in Paris. Is this a good hotel? No. But for the price you have to pay? that's not bad.

Anyway, I stayed here for one night only. The room is small, yes, but this is a hotel in Paris so the size is average. It's clean and functional. The staff were not bad, not over the top friendly but efficient. The location is great, close to Gare du Nord, Anvers station and Montmartre. So skip the breakfast and just find a cafe nearby. It's Paris, you wouldn't find difficulties in finding good cafe or restaurant.

So would I recommend this place for short stay? Yes if you got a good price (I paid 60 euros per night).

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed November 3, 2013

This Hotel provides old towels and linens, the bathroom needs to be remodeled, it grossed me out to take a shower there every night.

On my second night I noticed a bug that looked like a tick on the sheets, the next morning I was full of bug bites, I was told it was just an allergic reaction to something I ate.

The staff in the breakfast room were super rude, and the breakfast has very little variety, if you don't get to the breakfast room early be prepared to wait, as the room is very small.

And lastly the Hotel is not in a good location in my opinion, if you try to take the subway not even the employees at the subway station give good directions, and it's not safe! I was almost pick pocketed. The hop and and off buses stop for ten to fifteen minutes in each stop so you waist a lot of time waiting around, also be prepared to make long lines in all of the tourist hot spots which are all far away from the hotel.

1  Thank Eileen305
Reviewed October 28, 2013

Not worth the money. the location is not bad and it has a subway station near by but it is an old place with unfriendly staff, they did not change the beds daily, just so so breakfast and our request for a wake up call the morning we were leaving for the airport was ignored.

2  Thank Victor8a
Reviewed October 10, 2013

The hotel location is near Sacre Coeur, about 10 mins walking distance to the Basilica of the Sacré Cœur and 5 mins near the Anvers Station. Whilst approaching the hotel, saw a large number of sex shops which perturbed us a little. The area is littered with immigrants from N.Africa. You’ll find lots of charity shops, street walkers, it’s a really run down area. There is a young children’s school in front of the hotel, if your bedroom faces the street, there will be a lot of noise starting from 8am onwards.

In general the hotel is rather run down. In our bedroom the paint was peeling off, the blanket was itchy and the worst part, the extra pillows in the cupboard did not have their covers changed and I could smell someone’s body odour on them – sick! The bathroom was very basic. The telephone in the bedroom didn’t work. There was no kettle or the general facilities found in any hotel. The funniest part of the experience was there is only 1 kettle in the entire hotel. Having said this, the bed sheets had been changed the following day. The carpets on the staircase were loose and anyone could easily fall down.

Be careful there are a lot and I mean a lot of pick pocketing. My husband lost over a £120 in cash. Be careful when travelling in the underground from the Anvers Station, never pull out your entire wallet out and display your cash. You’ll find Romanians wandering around who are sure to single you out.

You’ll find 2 Carrefours near the hotel. Overall we didn’t enjoy our experience staying at this hotel. One of the reception manager’s had a very rude attitude, zero courtesy.. Awful experience. Please avoid this hotel like the plague.

3  Thank KS_56_28
Reviewed September 12, 2013

When we arrived the hotel, recepcionist said "we are sorry, we sold your room and we have not got room." I called French Police, but the police also couldn't solve the problem. Absoluletely don't stay in this hotel.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family