“Good hotel but strictly for the room”
Review of Hotel Banke

Hotel Banke
Ranked #266 of 1,804 Hotels in Paris
Reviewed July 3, 2013

As my usual hotel was full I decided to try the Banke as I only required one night.
The Banke Hotel is well situated in the Opera district of Paris. I was warmly welcomed upon arrival by the hotel door attendant and quickly relieved of my suitcase as I was led throughout the spectacular lobby to the check in counter.
I was told not once, not twice but three times in the course of my check in conversation with the front desk receptionist, that I was upgraded to a better room, which always is a pleasure to hear, but seeing that I have no previous yardstick to go by, telling me that I am upgraded does nothing to impress me. Naturally should I like the room, I will want to have the same or better the next time I choose to stay at the same hotel and for the same or at a lesser rate than I paid the first time.
I was also informed that should I choose to have breakfast the cost would be 29 Euros (!) and I would find it served at the mezzanine level starting at 7am. As I would only require a tasse de cafe and a croissant for breakfast, I hardly think it likely that I or anyone would be paying the equivalent of $40.00 for them.
Once I was checked-in, I was led to my room by an eagerly efficient attendant who took it upon himself to show me exhaustively every mechanic and nook and cranny that the room possessed.
I must comment that the staff were sincere,helpful and very pleasant.
The bathroom with tub,separate walk in shower was spotless and well stocked with good quality amenities.
The double sized bed was very comfortable. The room overlooked a quiet side street and was peaceful and calm. Overall I felt that relatively I was getting my money's worth in terms of room comfort and have no complaint at all from that perspective.

My only quibble would be as to how could one justify charging 8.50euros ($11.50) for a can of coke or a small bottle of water or a bag of chips in the mini-bar in the room? The hotel may consider itself a luxury hotel and accordingly charge a mark-up or whatever they want to charge, however there is a fine line between luxury/convenience pricing and outright extortion. I find this exploitative thinking and marketing disingenuous and insulting to the guest.
Across the street from the hotel there is a mini-mart that sold many of the mini-bar items for a fraction of the ridiculous prices, should you require any provisions.
As for breakfast the next day, I went a few doors away from the hotel to Brasserie le Royal (one of several eateries in the immediate area) for my breakfast and was given a choice of 'P'tit dejeuner Francais" for 7.90 euros (less than the price of a can of coke in my room!) or "Brunch Americain" for 11 Euros.
I chose the former which consisted of a glass of orange juice,a large coffee, a croissant and a buttered baguette. The latter consisted of juice,coffee,eggs and ham.
I enjoyed a delightful Parisian experience for about a quarter of what the Hotel was charging for breakfast.

OveralI liked the Banke and would stay there again, I just wouldn't eat or drink there.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled solo
2  Thank Canadianknowitall

Reviewed July 1, 2013

You never really know what you are getting when staying at a hotel for the first time until you actually arrive. In their case, its just as advertised. the place is beautiful, the rooms are very clean and the staff are pleasant and friendly. We had to call down to the front desk a few times and each time within 5 minutes we were delivered what we asked for, the room service was just as fast. We had a great experience at this hotel and would recommend it to everyone. Thanks for the nice visit!

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
DireccionDerbyHotels, Responsable relations publiques at Hotel Banke, responded to this reviewResponded July 4, 2013

Dear Guest,

The whole team of the Banke hotel join me for telling you thank you.

Don t hesitate to call the front desk or me when you want to come back...It would be a pleasure!

This is my email adress : eperello@derbyhotels.com

Reviewed June 30, 2013

I had to go to Paris for two days for a business trip and was desperately trying to find an "affordable" hotel in Paris...if this word meand anything in this city....
Somebody recommended this hotel to me and I was actually quite happy. It is well located, 3 minutes walk from Galeries Lafayette and the subway station. Large hall, young, cool and relaxed staff at the desk. On your right a large bar which is nice and well attended.
Two elevators to go to your room. Everything is quite trendy, different from the Hiltons and Marriotts of this world. My deluxe room cost 465 euros, but was quite large (for Paris standard) with a large bathroom. Lots of amenities, good room service. I complained about the heat and somebody tried to adapt my air-condiitoned immediately. Overall a very nice experience!

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank zelal25

Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for your comment.

We are really happy that you ve appreciated our reactivity.

Please feel free to contact me eperello@derbyhotels.com when you want to come back.

Reviewed June 29, 2013 via mobile

We stayed there for 7 nites with my extended family recently. The location is good and for Paris std, the rooms are huge. But some minor feedback. We first stayed in room 208..the wifi nvr works. So the staff move us to 404. The wifi works but the shower area in the toilet was badly designed..water floods the toilet floor outside. Also my other family members who stayed in a suite room, the air con was not working well. Minor chinks for the mgmt to work out. Nevertheless we had a great time there n will be back again.

• Stayed: June 2013
Reviewed June 26, 2013

We chose to stay in this hotel as it looked fairly central, price was comparable to other hotels for the same dates but the rooms were bigger and we've stayed at the Urban hotel in Madrid which we loved and is part of the same chain.
The hotel is very easy to get to, it's about a 20 minute walk from Gare du Nord, or alternatively the Roissy bus from CDG stops close by at the Opera. I took the bus, it was busy and took a while in rush hour traffic but I'd recommend that if you are travelling from CDG as it's only 10 euro.
On arrival at the hotel I was impressed by the staff and the building. The staff were helpful, friendly and spoke English which was great as my French is terrible.
I was checked in quickly and given a voucher for 20% off at the hotel restaurant Josefin.
We had booked a suite and the room was spacious. It was fairly dark, even with the lights on but I had expected that based on previous comments. The hotel had left water and strawberries which was a nice touch.
The location of the hotel is good for Opera, shopping and Montmartre. There are metro stations close by if you want to go further afield.
Although our room was serviced everyday, we found that dirty glasses were left on the table for a few days at a time and when they were finally removed they weren't replaced. We had been washing them in the bathroom but once they were gone we didn't even have that option.
We went for a drink in the hotel bar on the Saturday night, it was very quiet and there was no atmosphere. It was busy on other nights, but those were office workers who weren't around at the weekend.
We also used our voucher for the restaurant one night, again, it was very quiet. The food looked good and we had the voucher so decided to try it. The service was terrible, we waited ages for a menu, then even more time for our order to be taken. We had a bottle of wine and water that weren't left on the table so we had to ask a couple of times for our drinks to be topped up. The food was delicious and there were several people working so I don't know why the service was so slow. At the end of our meal we got our bill, it was wrong, we had not been charged for our drinks. When we told the waiter our drinks hadn't been included, he quickly told us drinks weren't included with the voucher. We had to explain we had not been charged for any drinks and that we'd had wine and water, we knew it was not included in the discount. Our bill was taken away to be sorted out. The next bill that came had the wine included, but also 3 negative entries that totalled more than the bottle of wine, the bill was less than the first one. We were left sitting with nobody coming to take the money, other people left, we were still sitting. Eventually we walked up to the till and someone came over. We tried to explain what was wrong with the bill and that the negative entries shouldn't be there. We were told not to worry about those, we weren't being charged for them. We just couldn't explain so we left the amount of money we thought the bill should be and left.
I'm not sure I'd stay here again if I was in Paris, the room size was great, price was ok and if you are going on a shopping trip it's probably perfect.

2  Thank ssinc
DireccionDerbyHotels, Responsable relations publiques at Hotel Banke, responded to this reviewResponded June 27, 2013

Dear Guest,

First of all, thank you for your comment.
You must know that I am really concerned about your feed back because usually, we do not have this kind of issues with the restaurant. So I will be really pleased if we can discuss together about this problem. This is my email: eperello@derbyhotels.com.

I am at your disposal,

Reviewed June 23, 2013 via mobile

Hotel Banke was a great place to retire to after a really tiring day. The location was pretty good as it was near Galleries Lafayette.We booked one suite and one deluxe room.The friendly staff delivered chocolate to our room and the bathtub in the toilet was great as it helped to relax my muscles and I enjoyed relaxing bubble baths in it.I also think the staff were considerate as they had bothered to provide shampoo,conditioner, shower gel and body milk.The cleaners would clean out our room mostly when we were out (thankfully they did not throw away any of our stuff).

• Stayed: June 2013
DireccionDerbyHotels, Responsable relations publiques at Hotel Banke, responded to this reviewResponded June 26, 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for taking time to post your coment.

We are really happy that you re enjoyed your stay.

Please feel free to contact me for your next stay : eperello@derbyhotels.com I will take care of you.

Reviewed June 20, 2013

What a great hotel, all staff were very friendly and pleasant, location was good, close to Gare du Nord, down the road from Galleries La Fayette and close to the Opera House. We had a premium room, not big but adequate, bathrooms need some shelving as nowhere to put toiletries. A visit to the lobby bathroom a must....sounds odd I know,but so is the lobby bathroom! A big shout out to Lucy at the front desk who managed to secure us a table at the Jules Verne restaurant at the Eiffel Tower at short notice, we were extremely happy and she seemed genuinely delighted to have been able to do this. Would definitely stay again

Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for your post.

We do our best to make your stay as a really good experience.

Lucy told me about the story of Jules Verne restaurant at the Eiffel Tower. She tried everything to book a table and she was so happy to succeed for you.

Lucy and the whole team of the Banke hotel are at your disposal for your next stay...Please feel free to contact me eperello@derbyhotels.com

Sincerely