“Great location & decor but some issues”
Review of Hotel Banke

Hotel Banke
Ranked #271 of 1,803 Hotels in Paris
Reviewed September 22, 2012

Chosing Banke due to the unavailability of our first choice, this upper-end 4 star hotel is located only moments from the Paris Opera house, the Galleries La Fayette & Printemps stores, hop-on-hop-off bus stops and plenty of eateries, cinemas and street shopping. Other attractions inc. the Louvre, Concorde, Sienne River, La Halles area are all within easy walking distance (less than 15m-20m, rembering most of Paris is very flat) for those who enjoy exploring cities on-foot. It features a flash bar and restaurant in the foyer, as well as an untried breakfast space.
Staff are very friendly and helpful (the language barrier being an only occasional problem) but the flaws in what is, on the surface, an elegant hotel lie in the unseen. Wi-Fi, an essential in today's world, was VERY VERY patchy in both rooms used (our stay was broken by tours) and water pressure in the (large) bathrooms was not strong enough. Further, great distress was experienced when a sizable room deposit ($3K+) was taken off my creditcard without warning, causing me to think my account had been compromised. Only after late night calls to my bank, and some investigation via uncertain front desk staff, did I find the Banke was the cause. This saw me without these funds for approx 3 days, until the deposit was refunded post stay (and 24hrs+ after my room charges had been paid). This needs to be clearer upon check-in or reduced, as the deposit seemed excessive. But the policy is BAD and needs to be reviewed or removed. Anything similar has not been experienced by me at the more expensive, top end hotels elsewhere (and reviewed by me on this site).
But, on the most part the stay was very comfortable and I would consider returning if the above appeared to be resolved. Paris has a reputation for small rooms and questionable staff service, but the Banke we experienced enjoyed large, quiet spaces (both rooms were of the Suite variety) to relax after a long day of site-seeing as well as friendly staff at the service level, all in a great central location.
AREA TIPS: Leave the hotel for breakfast and enjoy a cheap 'petit dejeuner' at any number of cafes within seconds of the hotel. Generally includes coffee, bread & jam plus a croissant. Yum!
Heading out the front door of the Banke usually sees you turn left - toward the Opera House - to site-see. By turning right and walking 4 very short blocks reveals a strip of inexpensive eateries including French brasseries, middle eastern food, asian food, Italian bistros and markets for fresh fruit, snacks and alcohol on the Rue du Faubourg Montmartre.
Monoprix, the supermarket, can also be found 2 blocks south/behind the Banke on the Rue Des Italiens - the second major street behind the hotel, after Rue Haussmann.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank KICon
DireccionDerbyHotels, Directeur général at Hotel Banke, responded to this reviewResponded October 1, 2012

Dear guest,

Thank you for choosing us for your stay in Paris.

Thank you too for this comments that are unvaluable to help us improve our performance to keep guests satisfied. We're pleased to know that your stay was good overall and that the staff, the equipments and the location were convenient for you.

We've been already checkin and testing our wifi system to offer the same good speed as usual; I also understand that our preauthorisation policy doesn't fit you. I'll be glad to welcome you back anytime you want, so we can discuss together about the terms and conditions of your next reservation.

Please contact me to do so, I hope we can see you again very soon.

There are newer reviews for Hotel Banke

Reviewed September 21, 2012

At over $400 USD a night for a single, this boutique hotel has small rooms, a dirty carpet, and when my colleague borrowed a power adaptor from the front desk, it basically blew up on her. The front desk staff was nice (helped out my colleague and the exploding outlet), but often under-staffed. The location is okay, near great shopping and two blocks from the metro, but not that close to good restaurants or nightlife.
My single room had a twin size bed and the bathroom had only one bath towel, one hand towel and no wash cloth. Not the amenities I would expect at a hotel like this. On my next trip to Paris, I will not be staying at the Banke.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank tkeucla
DireccionDerbyHotels, Directeur général at Hotel Banke, responded to this reviewResponded September 28, 2012

Dear guest,

Thank you for choosing us for your stay in Paris and for taking your time to share your experience here in Tripadvisor.

I'd like to apologize if the room was not at your expectations level; if you ever change your advice, I'll be at your disposal to find together the room that fits you. Of course we thank your opinion about the amenities and we will work on it.

I think the location is quite convenient for this city; you are close to major attractions as the Opera or the Louvre Museum; an excellent nightclub like The Silencio (designed and thought by David Lynch) is ten minutes walking or a restaurant like le Jean, one star at Michelin guide is five minutes walking too, so I do not agree with you relating the lack of life in this quartier.

All in all, I hope we can welcome you back anytime you want. Please contact me to arrange all the details for your next reservation.

Reviewed September 18, 2012

We spent our anniversary at Hotel Banke and we had an amazing time.
We had a great room - huge bed and fabulous bathroom.
The staff were extremely helpful before and during our stay.
The hotel is in a great location.
Amazing trip to Paris.
We would recommend it highly.
Breakfast very expensive though.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank sarah_s_12London

Dear guest,

Thank you for this excellent advice here in Tripadvisor!

We do appreciate your value of your stay. It was a pleasure for us to prepare with you all the details for this very special occasion and we are very proud to know that everything has happily ended.

We are at your entire disposal if you ever want to celebrate anything in Paris; as usual, I'll be more than pleased to plan it with you.

Warm regards,

Reviewed September 17, 2012

Stayed at Banke Hotel for 1 week while attending a conference nearby. While staff was great and room was spotless, i was disappointed in the size and location of the room, the cost of the breakfast and the quality of the bathroom amenities. Room was too small (too small even for paris) and had room for just 2 small night stands. There was a closet, but I could have also used a desk or at least a chair to drape dirty clothes over. Also room faced inward to a dark courtyard. Reading below tells me that i could have requested an outward facing room. Nobody at the hotel asked me for my preference. and the 29 euro breakfast which was NOT included was definitely not worth the price. i needed to eat before a meeting so i went to the basement for breakfast which was a normal buffet type set up. spanish tortilla, cheeses and meats, fruits, cereals, bread etc. no way was that worth 29 euro. The bath amenities were made in China which was also disappointing when France and Spain have well known toiletry manufacturers of higher quality. Also, beware: neighborhood was too close to Opera and Galeries Lafayette requiring dodging the hordes of tourists to walk down the street.

Room Tip: ask for outward facing room
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business

Dear guest,

Thank you for choosing us for your stay in Paris and for taking your time on comment about your experience.

We do appreciate your comments on the staff that encourages us to work harder to improve our quality service standards.

I'd like to apologize if the size of the room does not fit you. I hope we'd have an opportunity to welcome you back and find togheter a room more adapted to your expectations.

Apart from the items you point on the breakfast we've got a wide range of hot dihes à la minute and some more products that, in my opinion, are worth the 29€ we charge for the breakfast. On the other hand, this is the average rate for a breakfast and service in similar hotels here in Paris.

Please, feel free to contact me and discuss about your next reservation, we'll be more than happy to see you again.

Reviewed September 11, 2012

The hotel is nice, the hall is beautiful. The rooms are ok even if considering the price they could be improved. This is not a cheap hotel hence cheap furniture is not acceptable. The staff are lovely, very friendly and efficient. Unfortunately at this hotel they do not seem to trust their customers...they swipe your credit card at arrival for "pre-authorisation" thus blocking your money for the entire stay, then you have to swipe it again on your departure, to pay. The result of this is that despite the fact that you regularly paid, your bank will keep your "pre-authorised" money blocked for as long as it wants. This is very annoying...plus if at a luxury hotel they do not trust their customers, why don't they ask one to pay in advance? This would be much simpler and would cause no inconvenience to the customer. I must confess, I was happy to go to Banke but this thing has put me off and made me decide to go somewhere else in the future, there are plenty of high level hotel where they trust their customers...

• Stayed: August 2012
3  Thank Buongustaio291
DireccionDerbyHotels, Directeur général at Hotel Banke, responded to this reviewResponded September 13, 2012

Dear guest,

Thank you very much for your feed back on the Banke Hotel.

We are pleased to know that you've enjoyed your time in Paris and that your stay with us was satisfying. Obviously, we are upset about your decision and we hope we can change your mind to welcome you back.

Concerning the main subject of your comment, I would like to explain you the technical point of our procedure: once the preauthorisation is done, you have two options at the end of your stay. You can validate your preautho and the amount is really charged or you can choose an other way of payement and we release the block so your money is automatically back. I'm afraid your bank has retained the money as this is not usual at all.

I would like to apologize if you didn't like this procedure. In my personal opinion, I do not think that this practice (well known in Paris and many other countries) means that the hotel do not trust the customer. I use to pay for my flights before boarding, I guarantee the car I rent, sometimes I give my card to a restaurant to keep my reservation... I sincerely think that there must be a balance between the courtesy and respect to the guest (an it exists here for sure) and the right actions to keep an enterprise as healthy as possible.

All in all, I thank and respect your comments and I will be more than pleased to find other ways to make you feel more comfortable if you ever decide to give us an opportunity.

Do not hesitate in contact me to discuss about or for anything you may need.

Thanks again and best regards,

Reviewed September 11, 2012

very nice hotel, warm and cosy, staff very friendly. room are clean and nicely furnished.
great location in the 9th district you have access to everything...
not to forget to try the hotel restaurent!!! and the desert and the coffee

Room Tip: we didnt have a nice view, but it wasn't a problem, so if it matters to you ask for it
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank nada00
DireccionDerbyHotels, Directeur général at Hotel Banke, responded to this reviewResponded September 14, 2012

Dear guest,

Thank you very much for your comments on our hotel!

We feel so happy to know that you've had a nice time with us and we do appreciate your value of our staff, equipments and location, very convenient as you say.

We would be really pleased to see you again anytime you'd like; please feel free to contact me to arrange all the details for your next visit.

Warm regards from Paris,

Reviewed September 3, 2012

We stayed here for 4 nights and thoroughly enjoyed it. The hotel is always kept clean, staff are friendly and very helpful, and nothing was too much trouble for them. Our room was quite big, toilet was separate from bath/shower area but that didn't cause any problems. Looked onto a side street, but that wasn't a problem. Breakfast was included in our holiday, and what a fantastic spread there was! Used plates were whisked away immediately too. 10 out of 10 to all the hotel staff.

Metro is only metres away from the hotel, and was very easy to use. Staff there were a great help too. Always willing to show us the quickest or easiest route to our destination.

All in all a great holiday.

Room Tip: Rooms looking onto a side street will be quieter.
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Eileen C

Dear guest,

Many thanks for sharing your advice about your stay with us.

All the staff of the Banke Hotel is sending you a big MERCI for all this compliments. Today we are more motivated than ever to keep on improving our service.

We hope to see you soon and welcome you back as you deserve. I'm at your total disposal to arrange all the details for your next visit.