“If you want a beautiful place to stay here it is.....”
Review of Maison Zen

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Maison Zen
Ranked #56 of 173 Specialty Lodging in Paris
Cumming, Georgia
“If you want a beautiful place to stay here it is.....”
Reviewed June 21, 2012

My daughter and I loved apartment 4. Madame Perla made us feel welcome and we loved the beautiful surroundings. When we looked out of our window we new we were in Paris. What a Parisian experience! I hope to return next year. It is a great location with wonderful restaurants and a grocery right next door. If you do stay please look up our friends around the corner at the Mona Lisa. He makes the best cous cous and pizza in town.

Room Tip: We had apartment number 4 for the two of us and it was excellent.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
Ontario
Reviewed April 23, 2012

This was our first visit to Paris and wanted somewhere we could relax at night and even make supper if we wanted. You enter from the street into a courtyard and then must ring at the green door to get into the Zen Maison courtyard and hotel. There is a lovely, little, well kept garden before entering the apartments. Ours was on the third floor, which was a bit painful in your barefeet carrying luggage. The apartment was small for 2 people but very clean and nicely decorated. It was close to Gare de Lyon where the meto is located or you could go in the opposite direction to the Bastile metro. The area has many restaurants and a good grocery store down the street. It was wonderful to come back to a quiet, peaceful place after a hectic touristy day in Paris. This is a perfect, safe and comfortable place for single women.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
3 Thank seijung
Montreux, Vaud, Switzerland
Reviewed March 24, 2012

I have been in Paris many times, however to stay at the Maison zen has made it a much more agreeable experience! It was an oasis, in the middle of such a big city, great location and energetically wonderful, with the practices just wonderful! I've met some great guests and had wonderful sharing!

Room Tip: I have found all of the rooms great!
  • Stayed April 2011, traveled with friends
2 Thank Ana K
Paris, France
Reviewed March 12, 2012

A night in early March 2012 in Maison Zen has left me a very good memory. My booking was made via internet with Mrs. Grazyna Perl in English.
The studio is No. 3 on the 1st floor, small, very cozy and colorful: grey and red, with a comfortable bed. The studio had a small kitchen, 1 kettle, 1 microwave and even a landline telephone. Everything was very well designed, only one regret was a problem with the internet connection. Finally, by login on te wifi network from another room, I got internet.

The building and patio are very quiet. It is difficult not to feel safe and in a peaceful environment. I was greeted by a very amiable Gentleman who provided me useful assistance due to the loss of my cellphone.

Remember to request the access code to avoid being locked out of the building.

Finally, a very quiet night. The Zen House is ideally located between Bastille and Gare de Lyon, has therefore recommend to anyone looking for an experience of calm and peace during their stay in Paris.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled solo
5 Thank SpicyCinderella
Seoul, Seoul, South Korea
Reviewed March 9, 2012

It was my 2nd visits. My family and I stayed there 9 days. The place was wonderful and beautiful. No interruption. Absolutely safe area.
Very close to metro, bus, Bastile and Gare de Lyon.
No regrets.
Next time, I'll definitely go there again.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with family
Paris, France
Reviewed February 14, 2012

Great location near the Gare de Lyon and Bastille.
Spacious apartment with all you need.
Clean and well furnished; very quiet.
Nothing wrong, great good value for money!

• Stayed January 2012, traveled solo
2 Thank jacqvan
Pennsylvania
Reviewed January 12, 2012

This is my 3rd stay at Maison Zen, or, as my apartment is now known "My Open Paris" as it is managed by the lovely Eanjo. However, it will probably be my last stay. The place is absolutely lovely and has improved a lot in the last couple of years, as it has been completely renovated. And, there is lots of helpful information in the binder-book provided in each room. But there are drawbacks:

The noise really is an issue: 1)The place is courtyard-facing and every sound in the courtyard -- including 7am trash collection -- echoes loudly. 2) There was construction going on in the courtyard from morning til dark -- no chance to sleep late or take a mid-day rest. (Last year the construction was going on next to my studio in the common wall with what is now a supermarket!) The place is not really being advertised I think as a peaceful Zen Center so much as just a hotel now. But it has got to be the noisiest hotel ever! 3) There were several very noisy families with very young children yelling loudly every time they were in their apartments and especially at mealtimes and bedtimes. The shouting was continuous and echoed throughout the whole place. I already knew from previous stays the walls are like paper but this noise was coming from another floor! Perhaps there could be some kind of minimum age limit ? 10 and over? Or signs throughout the center asking folks to keep their voices down? 4) There was some sort of plumbing issue somewhere in the place as whenever a toilet flushed it sounded like a waterworks in my studio! Woke me up at night several times. Whatever that noise was is going to take a major project to repair it; I knew it would not be worth complaining about while I was there-- it's not like it was a leaky toilet. It actually sounded like the plumbing in the wall was exploding!

As I noted the studios have all been beautifully refurbished and unfortunately the price has risen as well -- too much for me to return. (These are small studios about 25 square meters or 250 square feet.) I found many apartments in Paris -- and already rented one -- that offer the same nice amenities as Maison Zen/My Open Paris, but for much less money -- at least 20 euros per night less. That adds up to quite a lot over a 1 or 2 week stay!

So: wonderful manager, lovely decor are the positives, but constant construction noise, screaming/shouting guests, ridiculously loud plumbing issue, and a high price for a small studio are the negatives.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with friends