“A Gem” 5 of 5 bubbles

Neighborhood: Le Marais
Lincoln, Nebraska
“A Gem”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 30, 2013

A US newspaper food reviewer wrote that Le Gaigne is "most charming, the kind of place I’d love to see more of," and my wife and I concur completely! The restaurant is run by a husband and wife team, and from what we could see, there was only one other person helping chef Mickaël Gaignon in the kitchen. Aurélie was out front, greeting and serving: She is exceedingly pleasant and helpful, describing dishes to us (in English, because of our limits with French!) as she served them. We had the five-course tasting menu accompanied by the carefully selected wines (68€pp, all at table must opt-in for the tasting menu), and it was well worth the cost. On this recent trip to Paris, we ate at Michelin-starred restaurants and no-star restaurants, great food for the most part, but Le Gaigne, for its food, style, charm, and intimacy, was our absolute favorite.

• Visited May 2013
3 Thank Enjoy_Great_Food

Stamford, CT, USA
“Not my cup of tea...”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 23, 2013

Le Gaigne was recommended to me by someone I trust and TripAdvisor reviews seemed to well match that recommendation. I made reservation in advance and was looking forward to dining there.

My wife and I each had an appetizer and a main course. All 4 dishes were average; 2 were over-salted and my fish (sea bream) was undercooked. I love sushi, but when I order cooked fish -- I prefer it cooked. I sent fish back, asking to make it more well done. It came back better, but still bland and undercooked for my taste. We promptly paid the bill and decided to go elsewhere.

To the credit of the restaurant, the wine was fantastic and fish was taken off the bill without my asking. The service was very friendly and attentive. The menu is inventive, may be even too inventive.

I should note that majority of patrons around us were ordering from one of tasting menus and seemed to enjoy every course. I guess it was not our cup of tea...

• Visited April 2013
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank world_traveler_ct
“Lovely!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 19, 2013 via mobile

On the basis of reviews from tripadvisor, we decided to give this a try. Not disappointed! The welcome was lovely, the recommended wines universally excellent, and each course was beautifully presented and well cooked. A standout was the sea bream with spring vegetables and a vegetable broth. Food of a very high standard, in a very civilised setting.

• Visited April 2013
1 Thank Hatclyff
Trondheim, Norway
“A splendid meal in Marais”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 30, 2013 via mobile

We had the 5 course tasting menu with wine that change everywhere month. The pig trotters was a little heavy, but tasty, and the following languster, fish, guinea hen and dessert were perfect. Both composition and preparation was lovely, and the different wines were well chosen for the dishes. The wife of the operation served the tables, and was attentive and charming. With only 7 tables, we were probably lucky to get a table without reservation, and we will be back. Highly recommended for a real restaurant experience in a mostly bistro or very expensive area.

1 Thank kanons
le Tarn
“excellent value but a few small negatives”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 15, 2013

Great value at lunchtime. We also had the gambas (prawns) with a barley risotto. Beautiful quality prawns but found the sauce too runny on the risotto, so that, in the end, it was a bit like eating rice pudding. Nonetheless, very tasty. My husband had a dessert based on apple, topped with an apple gelee, which was perhaps too delicate a flavour.

Impeccable service.