“I didn't love it....” 2 of 5 bubbles

Neighborhood: Le Marais
Atlanta, GA
“I didn't love it....”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 28, 2013

Forgive me for saying this, but I didn't love it. And I thought it would.

First, the good. Great location and neat space. Tiny, but really cozy. The wine was excellent. We did the five course tasting paired with wine. Service was also very friendly.

Now onto the meal itself:
The first course was a pate sweetbread. It was good, but really heavy. It socks you in the stomach and you quickly realize you've got four more to go. Yikes. Second course had red onion two ways. The cooked onions were fine but the raw red onions sat on top and were so strong, it overpowered the dish. The chard juice was great. For what it's worth, this was my wife's favorite dish. Third, rabbit lasagna, my favorite. It was good, but by this point I was starting to get full. The portions were hearty for a five course meal. We opted out of the fourth course (burgers) and went to dessert. It was a cold apple dessert...apple on top of apple on top of apple. Not great. I didn't finish it.

My descriptions aren't terrific as we didn't keep the menu. No amuse bouche, but based on the size of the plates you probably don't need it. Final bill was $190 USD.

• Visited January 2013
1 Thank DonnieKat

New York City -- Greatest City in the World
“Small and pleasant”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 25, 2013

A tiny restaurant with extremely friendly owner/staff serving great food. From appetizer to desert, everything was delicious. We will be back.

Visited January 2013
Aarhus, Denmark
“Le gaigne has a problem”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 7, 2013

I easily give a rating of excellent for the food, the service, the welcome, and many more things....

BUT
Le Gaigne has changed its service concept, so now everyone at the table has to order the tasting menu, or no one gets it at all. Admittedly this service concept is listed on its website.

I certainly understand the difficulties of having a small family run restaurant. But Le Gaigne is just demanding us to divide our reservations into small groups... For example, if we are 4 people, and only two want the whole menu, then we would have to make two reservations. for the same time to comply with their service concept....

I find it irritating to have to define our appetites before we get there....

Please revert to your previous service concept.

• Visited November 2012
Scotland
“Le Gaigne”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 17, 2012

Had a wonderful meal in this small restaurant in the Marais. Booking is essential. The food was excellent as was the presentation and service. We would certainly eat here again next time we are in Paris.

Visited November 2012
1 Thank IshbelScotland
North Haven, Connecticut
“A Wonderful Small Restaurant”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 5, 2012

Le Gaigne is just what one hopes for from a small Parisian restaurant: great food beautifully presented and yet a comfortable, welcome atmosphere. We had the tasting menu and enjoyed everything on it. Each dish was not only excellent, but, with the exception of the squab, not what we expected -- all happy surprises.

Visited October 2012