“Bad French food, decent service.”
Review of Au Saint Benoit

Au Saint Benoit
Reserve with
Save up to 30% when you reserve online *
Au Saint Benoit is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #6,747 of 18,347 Restaurants in Paris
Cuisines: French
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: Saint-Germain-des-Pres
Reviewed September 22, 2012

Au Saint Benoit is a nice looking restaurant in my favorite arrondissement. Our server was very friendly, efficient and switched easily between French and English. We also had a nice table outside in front of the restaurant which made people watching quite enjoyable. The food however was an entirely different story.

As a frequent traveler to Paris, I have eaten at Au Saint Benoit on a couple of different occasions have have generally been pleased. I can't say the same about this experience. FIrst off, they gave us the smallest pour of Bordeaux I have ever seen in Paris into a huge glass and charged 6 euros. Our green salads, which were supposed to be with just some aged cheese and vinaigrette dressing tasted like they had tabasco sauce or something spicy on them. I had to drink a half liter of water to finish mine. I should have said something, but just wanted to get the course over with. My shrimp scampi with pesto was dry and tasteless. There was no way I was going to attempt desert, but I did have a cappuccino, which wasn't very good either. My father was equally disappointed in his meal.

I'm sorry to say, but there are many better dining options in Saint Germain des Pres and I won't be back. It's not worth wasting a beautiful late summer evening in Paris on a mediocre to bad meal.

Reviewed September 17, 2012

We had eaten here before and found it very charming. Our server was cute, charming and good at service. Our food was delicious, one of our best meals in Paris and look forward to going back. It sits amongst a lot of good restaurants, but don't pass it by, it's a gem.

Reviewed August 20, 2012

We ate here twice on our five-day stay in Paris and enjoyed both meals. If you eat before 8pm there is a fixed price menu of 20 euro. The staff do not draw your attention to this and you have to ask for the fixed menu to be brought. We ate a la carte on the first evening because of this, but were nevertheless delighted with the quality and prices- reasonable for Paris. We both had French Onion soup to start, which was flavoursome and plentiful, and had a duck breast for main, which was in a plum sauce- exquisite and cooked to perfection.

Our second meal was from the fixed price menu and was fantastic value. I had mozzarella and tomato salad with pesto to start and monkfish with veg for main. Absolutely divine! The drinks are expensive, but in-line with comparable eateries.

We ate outside and my only criticism would be that the tables are very close together. I was literally elbow to elbow with another diner! However, the food made up for this.

If you want a delicious meal in a quiet back-street location and are in the St. Germain district, try this restaurant. It is also very close to the St. Germain de Pres metro station.

1  Thank Debs W
Reviewed August 17, 2012

We were welcomed the moment we stopped to peer at the menu outside and the attention and warmth continued throughout our whole meal. Simple and delicious French food with excellent recommendations by our server. I would definitely return.

Reviewed August 15, 2012

Excellent service and great food. Lots of fun and nice atmosphere and younger crowd. Very easy going staff.