“Step outside hotels, enter the Mama Shelter”
Review of Mama Shelter Paris

Mama Shelter Paris
Ranked #368 of 1,803 Hotels in Paris
Reviewed November 30, 2012

This place is just not a hotel.

The front desk is semi open, the team is in denim trousers and T shirts with funky aprons. There is a huge wooden table with four chairs as an Internet counter.

My room was small, dark with Superman and Batman facemasks smiling at me (as bedside lamps). The bed was very good. I slept like an angel.

The idea of free everything (videos, internet, etc) is just centuries ahead of upscale (5*) hotels where you are charged for every thing.

The bathroom was very small too, but efficient. I only regret the absence of soap as such, replaced by a shower gel (not my personal preferrence).

The restaurant (pizzeria) and bar looked great (thanks to Philippe Stark), a long high wooden table in the restaurant, a snooker in the bar, wooden tables every where, and a light above the snooker to be discovered (really hip).

The food for breakfast was fresh and tasty with funky individual butter portions.

I did not really feel at any moment in a hotel, more at a holiday club house or kind of. And that was refreshing especially in Paris.

Room Tip: Do not expect there what you expect in standard hotels.
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
There are newer reviews for Mama Shelter Paris

Reviewed November 27, 2012

Mama Shelter has gone for the cool crowd and pulls it off with a few reservations. The suite we'd booked was very cool, quirky and imaginative if not quite luxurious. The decor and furnishings of our room and the reception, bar and dining area were impressive and well considered, but I guess we were target audience and I could imagine others would feel it pretentious or spartan. Definitely an acquired taste. More Dazed and Confused than Conde Nast.

The roof terrace would've truly come into it's own had we been there in summer rather than November and unfortunately, given the location, the view could've been Slough rather than Paris.

The location is not ideal. It's a slog to the nearest Metro, felt more so after a day walking round the city centre and a trek on the underground system is followed by a ten minute walk that;s something of a killer if you are going back and forth to the hotel over the course of the day. Another grip is the lack of a laundry service - I wanted a shirt ironed and while there was something resembling a cupboard on the fifth floor to do it myself the iron and ironing board were archaic and I gave up.

Overall very good, glad we stayed, but not mind blowing.

1  Thank NormanMonkey
Reviewed November 24, 2012

Since my last visit to MS I’ve raved to people about it. Book ahead and the prices are friendly (although the booking conditions aren’t). On my last visit I saw this as the hotel of the future – what do I think now?

The hotel is doing well and both the Pizza and Restaurant are busy. The hotel also seems to have encouraged a few other places to thrive, including the bar across the road.

Check-in was friendly enough, but noticeably in the hotel how you get treated is based on how hip you are. As I’m old, and potentially not hip so perhaps I didn’t do so well! One night for example I saw my pizza slowly cooling as the blonde waitress was chatted up at great length by someone far, far more hip than me. No doubt he will write a better review!

Inside the rooms are unchanged and that might be a problem. The MAC screen on the wall now looks a little dated, and the interface is perhaps limited. Perhaps that’s going to be the problem for MS. To be cutting edge – certainly from a technology point of view - needs constant refreshing. That isn’t a problem at the moment but in another year I’d suggest it’s all going to look a little less cool. When the wifi works it’s not bad, but it does stutter from time to time.

The area also hasn’t improved greatly. Here you get a little vision of the social impact of Europe's financial issues. There’s plenty of petty crime going on around, in particular in the metro station (just count the turnstile hopper) . On another night I saw knives drawn on the metro and on another a very loud and difficult drunk who was bothering people. So I’d suggest a little more care than usual. There isn’t anywhere compelling to eat in the area either.

At night the bar is buzzing, enough that there’s security on the door. Again, being hip helps, otherwise like me you’ll just need to wave your hotel door key!

MS is clearly successful and there was a TV crew filming when I was there. Sometimes though it’s style over function. For example the rooms are dark, and the opportunity for a little more light might help. Packing in the early morning in a dark room with a black carpet was interesting.

I’m not sure I will return (and the hotel will do just fine) and the main reason is the area. It has an edge to it and the Metro is a ten minutes walk away.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled solo
3  Thank PhileasFoggontour
Reviewed November 19, 2012

Love the design of the hotel...very chic. The room is large than usual Paris hotels, and the designs are sooo good. Loved the designs on the carpets, the writings on the lifts and on mirrors. Even the lamps are so cool. Didn't get to try the restaurant though, there're always lots of people. A bit of walk from the metro station . Oh, and i loved the iMac on the room...with free movies! i almost didn't wanna leave the hotel. :)

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed November 16, 2012

Stayed here on a surprise trip to Paris, and was struck by it's great vibe the minute we arrived at the hotel. The lobby was full of trendy band types and was extremely atmospheric, we were already excited by the buzz in the bar and restaurant even early in the day. The staff were welcoming, even though we were arriving extremely early just to stow our bags, and showed us around the hotel before we were sent up to our funky room. Loved the little details like the Kiehls bodywash and the dark walls! This is not a typical hotel and perfect if you like to explore those less obvious hotels when travelling. We loved our stay here and will definitely go back. Hot tip is to buy a 10 pack of bus tickets and use the route directly outside the hotel to get around Paris, it sends you straight to the Louvre and is a much better way to get to/from Gare du Nord for airport connections. Oh and get some pizza!

The only reason I didn't give 5 stars is that we got a frosty reception when leaving the hotel slightly later one morning (after we got engaged in Paris!) and were asked did we want our room serviced by the person on duty, who clearly wasn't impressed when we said yes. Made us feel a little uncomfortable, but is not a dealbreaker by any stretch!

Reviewed November 12, 2012

A part from the fact that the three next metro stations are a bit of a walk, this is really a wonderful place to stay. Cool, funny, cozy, stylish design by Philippe Starck....rooms make you feel very much at home, nice linen, free Blockbusters to watch on the Mac on the wall, friendly receptionists and a very trendy restaurant/bar on the ground floor. But be sure to make a reservation for a table in case you would like to enjoy their great food in the evening. When we were there a cool DJ was on the turn table and it was packed. An amazing place and totally different! P.S. And our room was sooooo quiet - that was wonderful...

Reviewed November 9, 2012

This hotel was a very swanky place. The inside is so different than any other hotel I have been in. The hotel staff are very friendly and extremely helpful in anything you might need. The hotel came with breakfast, which we never went to only because we slept in too late (we were there for a music festival) but the breakfast hours were very good: 7am-11am. The hotel restaurant looks very nice as well. The rooms are very dark, which can be a bit frustrating but it's part of what makes this hotel so unique. The bathroom is a bit small but both room and bathroom are very clean and comfortable. The TV in the room is great and comes with a large assortment of free movies. Although the hotel is a bit far from the center of town, it is walking distance from 2 Metro stops which get you where you need to go. There is also a great bar across the street, that is always crowded with people. This is a fun place to stay when travelling with friends and if you are with a young crowd.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with friends