“Nice hotel but poor location” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Mama Shelter Paris

Mama Shelter Paris
Ranked #357 of 1,795 Hotels in Paris
Rotterdam, The Netherlands
“Nice hotel but poor location”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 27, 2012

We had the smallest room and the hotel was nice, just as expected. Unfortunately our restaurant experience was horrible and ruined the stay. I really expected more from the total Mama Shelter experience.

Pro's:
- Very nice bilingual staff at the hotel desk/entrance.
- Minimalistic rooms with beautiful design and a comfy bed, all for a good price.
- Free movies and internet.
- We could leave our luggage at the hotel after checking out.
- A direct bus to The Louvre and Gare Nu Nord almost in front of the hotel.
- Close to cemetery Pere Lachaise.

Con's:
- It's dark, really dark. You have to like that. Reading in the room is impossible without opening the curtains or moving lights.
- The microwave is a ridiculous extra without the essential plates or mugs.
- Bathroom looks nice, but with the tiny mirror it was 'fighting' for a spot in front of it. And because of the small glass shower 'wall', the entire bathroom was wet after taking a short shower.
- Unfortunately the location is a pity. The Metro stations were all a 15 min walk. So when we came back from a dinner in the city night, it was not a nice neighborhood to walk in. I personally wouldn't walk their alone without my boyfriend. It took a minimum of 30min to get in the city centre by Metro.

The worst was our restaurant experience. Since it's a trendy spot we decided to have our last lunch there before heading home. But the night before we wanted to grab a quick bite at the hotel before having dinner in the city. We decided to share a pizza and a bottle of water . We were pretty hungry so we just started eating and didn't noticed that in stead of the ordered 0,5 liter bottle (€3), the waitress had given us a 1 liter bottle. Then of course we saw a 1 liter bottle for €7 on the bill. I decided to ask the waitress what happened since the 1 liter wasn't on the menu and the price was even more expensive than if we would have asked two 0,5 liter bottles.

Unfortunately the waitress who attended us was extremely rude, not even giving me time to explain my point of view. She gave an arrogant lecture instead of apologizing and mentioning her mistake of giving us the wrong menu (which was apparently daytime in stead of nighttime) and not telling us before serving that she could not serve the daytime 0,5 liter bottles, she expected us to know by ourselves that this was the case. So I got pretty upset because she was giving a terrible attitude, while it was our first time in the restaurant and we were guests at the hotel. Then she just left. We were flabbergasted and didn't know what just happened. Then after almost 10 minutes she stormed back and without saying a word she put down a new bill with a lowered price of €4,50 for the bottle. Even though I already mentioned that I had no problem paying an extra amount of money since we drank the entire bottle. I just wanted to know what happened. But now it became a principle thing for me, about being treated like a human and a paying customer in stead of the terrible feeling she was giving us on our holiday.

There was one very nice waitress who saw the whole thing happen and decided to get the restaurant manager. We hoped she would understand that we felt pretty upset because of the whole thing. But she had the exact same attitude as the waitress. We should have noticed the 1 litter bottle and the wrong menu ourselves. Well... after explaining to her that we can't know we are given the wrong menu and that apparently we are supposed to expect that we will get a wrong order here, she gave is one tiny 'Sorry'. So I paid the bill and decided to never come back. The whole thing from bill to manager costed us more than 20 minutes over a stupid bottle of water! How happy were we when we could leave the hotel!

In stead of having our last lunch at Mama Shelter, we went to this wonderful place called Meli Mellow, 55 Rue de Bagnolet, when you walk down to the Alexandre Dumas Metro. Such nice people, what a contrast!!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (112)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Turkish first
Rotterdam, The Netherlands
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 27, 2012

Pro's:
- Very nice bilingual staff at the hotel desk/entrance.
- Free movies and internet.
- We could leave our luggage at the hotel after checking out.
- A direct bus to The Louvre and Gare Nu Nord almost in front of the hotel.
- Close to cemetery Pere Lachaise.

Con's:
- The microwave is a ridiculous extra without the essential plates or mugs.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 23, 2012

As we were on a budget and needed a hotel with parking we booked this hotel through their website so got a good deal of €89 per night on the Mama Luxe room.
Overall it was good hotel within walking distance to a metro station and it has it's own secure car park under the hotel. The reception staff were very friendly and helpful although I did find the service slow in their restaurant.
Our room was small but the bed was big and comfortable and the iMac was perfect for watching the free films on offer from our bed when we were hungover and the bathroom was a nice size with a great shower.
There was a safe which was free of charge to use as well as a microwave and a mini bar which was like a vending machine.
The hotel has a laundry room which came in handy when I need to iron a blouse which had become creased in my suitcase.
There are huge mirrors by the lifts which tell you what is happening in the bar that night as well as other suggestions around Paris but it was only in French so sometimes we could translate into English but other times not.
We ate Sunday brunch in the restaurant for €39 each which was good value for the buffet selection on offer, I did find service slow however when it came to re ordering drinks and getting the bill.
We enjoyed staying here and I would recommend it, my only critisms are that as a femail and a make up artist I found the lighting to be too dark when I was getting ready to go out for the evening, the wardrobe space is just a rail above the safe so my maxi dresses had to be folded in half and there wasn't enough hanging space for 2 people so some of our clothes were kept in our suitcases and there weren't any drawers.
As for the mini bar the only alcoholic drink was beer and the rest soft drinks so it would've been nice to have had another alcoholic choice as I don't drink beer.

• Stayed July 2012
Stockholm, Sweden
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 9, 2012

I stayed at the hotel with my 12 years old son and we enjoyed it very much. Our twin room was great with a pleasant view towards another property, and we both liked the design of the hotel (Philip Starck?) very much. There was an imac on the wall and we could enjoy free movies which is great for a 12-year old after a busy day in Paris. Imac had also a camera and one could take photos of him/herself which would then be sent to your e-mail. Great little thing, especially for kids! The bathroom was well-designed and comfortable, too, with a towel warmer (why do not all hotels have this?) and perfect shower. Lightning in the room was nice, too. Some reviewers complained about lack of ceiling lamp but we did not miss it at all. I may agree, that most likely the light would not be sufficient if your brought your needlework with you - but most of us would do other things while staying in Paris.
We enjoyed our breakfast, relaxing in a sofa (they have normal tables, too). After a couple of days we moved to another area as we wished to visit different areas of Paris and my son missed Mama Shelter. In general, we highly recommend this fantastic hotel. If you bring your kids or teenagers to Paris they would be very impressed by your choice of the hotel (to be honest I had stayed at the hotel earlier some time ago and was sure that my son would like it)
As to surroundings, it is indeed located in 20th arr, not in very centre, and close to the famous cemetery Père-Lachaise. It takes around 10 minutes to subway but there are several bus stops close to the hotel. In addition to those, from Gambetta that can be reached by 10 min walk, one can take bus 69 - probably most beautiful bus line in Paris. To summarise, I think the hotel and surroundings is a great place to stay to enjoy real Paris and not just traditional tourist areas.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank TheOrion
New York City, New York
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 31, 2012

It was fresh and funky, but not very French. Well....I guess the fresh and funky type of French. The restaurant is fantastic and the place super cool. The location, however (in the 20th eme) is really horrible. Rather than stay, visit for the evening and have a great meal and fun evening.

Room Tip: Don't agree to the smallest room, as it is very small.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
Holbeach, England, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 30, 2012

After a week of slumming it in hostels in Amsterdam, as soon as I arrived in Paris I couldn't wait to get to this hotel after reading all the great reviews. However I soon wished I was back in the hostels! I really didn't like the atmosphere of this place, everyone appeared very stuck up and unfriendly, and although the staff were mostly helpful and spoke good English we got a feeling that everything we asked for seemed to be a bit of an inconvenience for them. The rooms are great value for money for a Paris hotel, there are awesome touches in the rooms such as the amazing shower and the iMac with the free movies service (although any English people staying here beware the only English channel is the news!!), the furnishings are also to a very high quality, such as the bedding, curtains and the carpet. The rooms were also cleaned to a first class standard, we noticed the maids even tidied up our personal belongings which they obviously didn't have to do. However, I didn't really like the decor of the room, the walls were matte black and this made the room feel dingy and unwelcoming. There were some really stupid things in the room which were just annoying and inconvenient, such as the ridiculous amount of lamps and light switches that didn't seem to work or were just there for show. It took us about 5 minutes to switch off all the different lights in the room and it ended up being quite funny because it was just so confusing! There was also a microwave in the room, yet there were no plates or cutlery which was a bit weird as it defeated the object of having a microwave! However there were some nice touches, such as the amazing shampoo and shower gel which were lovely.
The location of the hotel is the worst part of it all. The area surrounding the hotel is intimidating, dirty and rough. This hotel kind of sticks out like a sore thumb against the countless tower blocks and graffiti'd empty shops. The nearest metro is about a 15 minute walk from the hotel, and it will take you a further 30 minutes to get anywhere central. A taxi to Gare du Nord is about 20 euros. On the positive side, there is a supermarket and a bar across the road and a pharmacy next door, so you are well equipped with amenities.
Also, we ate in the pizzeria one night and although the pizza is undoubtedly amazing, everything else was awful. The service was terrible and the staff were visibly rushed off their feet, everytime we asked for something they forgot to bring it and we had to ask again. It was cramped and loud, the waitress cleaned our table as we sat on it, a glass smashed near the entrance and no-one cleared it up the whole time we were stood there, so everyone was walking over broken glass. The pathetic excuse for a table we were finally allocated after 30 minutes of waiting for one was not acceptable - it was 2 awful wooden high chairs stuck together - the most uncomfortable thing ever! We didn't enjoy eating here and it's a shame as the food is great, maybe it would have been different if the place hadn't been so busy.
All in all if you are a person who is only bothered about the image of a place you'll like it here, it certainly is cool and the crowd here are trendy and exclusive. But if you are more down to earth you'll probably, like me, just find this place a pain in the bottom. Sorry Mama!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank Laura S
New York City, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 17, 2012

I frequently opt for hotels with great design and Mama Shelter did not disappoint, even though it cost significantly less than most hotels in that category. The rooms are well appointed, clean and quiet. The hallways and common areas are very chic and the staff couldn't have been nicer despite my limited French. The hotel is a little out of the way, but the neighborhood has some great restaurants and bakeries, plus it is really close to a Metro line that can get you to all of the key spots in Paris.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled solo