“Golden Experience in the Golden Triangle”

InterContinental Paris-Avenue Marceau
Ranked #566 of 1,797 Hotels in Paris
Los Angeles, California
“Golden Experience in the Golden Triangle”
Reviewed November 12, 2010

I usually stay at the larger Intercontinental Grand near the Opera House but they were full, and since I am a Platinum Ambassador with Intercontinental I searched around and to my surprise found there was another property in Paris on Avenue Marceau in the Golden Triangle - which was close to my business meetings and they did have a room available. How fortunate I was that the Grand was booked because I discovered a hidden gem from the moment I checked in at Avenue Marceau, and will always stay there whenever I visit Paris - usually twice a year at least. The desk staff were fabulous and handled my early morning arrival professionally. Being a small boutique hotel means that rooms don't turn over as fast so early arrivals do have to wait for check out. My room wasn't ready but they took care of my luggage and took down my cellphone to call me as soon as it was. Virginia Persol, the Operations Manager, introduced herself and encouraged me to explore the hotel and contact her should I need anything. I appreciated the personal touch,and Virginia was there too when I checked out some 6 days later to make sure everything was good with my stay. As a Platinum Ambassador I travel a lot and have stayed in many Intercontinentals (and other hotels from the mainstream chains to the, cool, hip boutiques) around the world and the personal attention is what turns a normal hotel experience into something special. As a smaller, more boutique-like hotel, Avenue Marceau doesn't have the extra features of the larger ones such as the Grand. The most noticeable difference for me was the lack of a Club Lounge, but on the plus side this got me out of the hotel to walk around the fabulous Parisian streets and enjoy my coffee, pain au chocolats, and early evening champagne out amongst the lovely locals.

That said, the restaurant at the Avenue Marceau is superb. This is not a hotel dining room added as an after-though but a full-fledged modern restaurant with a seasonal, sustainable menu cheffed by a fabulous chef who used to be at the Georges Cinq, I believe. From the moment I arrived (Somewhat tired, disheveled and not exactly dressed for a nice dining room) I was welcomed by the staff and treated likely royalty to an exquisite lunch such that I returned of the evening for dinner - and that I usually don't do; when on travel I never like to go to the same place because I want variety - but I was spoiled and enjoyed going back. The young lady who managed lunch and dinner service on that Friday (September 17) was truly brilliant in every regard; she made perfect suggestions and was attentive without being intrusive. Truly a joy to a tired traveler! I also had breakfast once there and the lunch and evening service experience I enjoyed carried over into the early morning hours. Well done!

After lunch my room was ready and I was escorted to the room and given a tour of all of its features. The decor is stunning with ceiling murals and Hermes bath amenities. The hotel has a Phillipe Starck feel to it. My room was on the first floor and looked out over the quiet gardens. It was extremely quiet - more like the French countryside than the center of the Golden Triangle amidst all the hustle and bustle of high class shopping.

The exercise room is tiny and I used it every day - sometimes twice. I only once found the machine I wanted busy with another guest so I just used the other one. Not a problem, although there isn't much space in there. One thing I didn't get to try but had read about was the use of the electric bikes the hotel makes available to guests. I think that is a fabulous idea as it is so difficult to rent the bicycles that are all over Paris.

The concierge staff were great in securing me reservations and making sure I knew where to go. The decor of the hotel from the murals downstairs to the lobby furniture and artwork is fabulous and simply puts you in a joyful, Parisian mood. All in all, Avenue Marceau is a fabulous property, in a great location and I can't wait to go back.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled on business
1 Thank StanKent_ZomZom

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (92)
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Los Angeles
Reviewed October 12, 2010

Good taste level, comfortable bed, pleasant staff, good coffee with in room expresso machine, for the most part,

Small rooms and it seems that the cleaning staff that leave their carts on a peermanent basis in the hallways.

Be aware that you will get 0 points if you pay one (quite expensive) night in conjunction with a free weekend night (with Ambassador certificate). Definitely a BIG Minus of the Priority Club/Ambassador program, compared with HHonors where you get points even for award nights and SPG, that would have credited the paid night, no matter if an additional free night was associated with it. Also, even if you are Platinum or Royal Ambassador, you will not get a complimentary breakfast, unlike at HHonors or SPG hotels.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled on business
1 Thank Mati I
Mainland, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 12, 2010

Just returned from a 3 day trip with my Mum. The location of this hotel could not be better, just a minute from the Champs Elysées and Arc de Triomphe. The room was a decent size for central Paris, very quiet and a comfortable temperature. I found my bed a bit on the soft side but my Mum found her's very comfortable. The bathroom was very stylish and the Hermes toiletries were lovely.
The staff were very friendly and helpful.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled with friends
2 Thank DSW21
Kuwait City, Kuwait
Reviewed September 2, 2010

The hotel location is great. It's in the heart of Paris. Have not tried their F&B services. The service is good, though the Front Office staff might benew so are not able to take decisions or answer questions regarding the Hotel itself and the area. They have a great concierge.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
London
Reviewed August 22, 2010

My boyfriend took me here for our anniversary and it was one of the best hotels ive stayed in - service was second to none, the rooms spacious for Paris, with lots of small quirky touches that you would expect in a Boutique hotel....the Hermes products were especially appreciated! Would definitely recommend.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
Paris, France
Reviewed August 3, 2010

Location is good but not very close to the champs élysées as described. Rooms are sooooo small and annoying. Very friendly staff. Bathrooms are modern and very clean, however, the bathing experience is a disaster as the water flow is very very weak, and the over-head shower keeps sliding downwards. ANNOYING!

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
1 Thank MohammedH
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed August 2, 2010

I would highly recommend this hotel to anyone:
Service is great with an amazing attention to details.
Quality of food is exceptional.... And I know what I'm talking about as i'm French!
Rooms are modern,beautifully decorated, King size beds are very comfortable ... I always sleep like a baby! I love the amenities signed by Hermes.Standard rooms are a bit tight for 2 but that's Paris - so I recommend you book a deluxe room if you travel with your partner.
The location is very good: few minutes walk to the Champs Elysees and Arc de Triomphe, perfectly located for shopping and easy access to famous monuments, museums.
Give it a try,you will not be disappointed!

• Stayed June 2010, traveled on business