“Good location, great concierge, some rooms better than others”

InterContinental Paris-Avenue Marceau
Ranked #620 of 1,801 Hotels in Paris
New York City, New York
“Good location, great concierge, some rooms better than others”
Reviewed July 2, 2014

This is a nice hotel near the Arc de Triomphe with a very good concierge, but quite small rooms and basically no closet space. Two of my colleagues stayed in the same hotel - one had a similarly small room and the other had a really nice one on the 1st floor with huge ceilings and and outdoor terrace -- we all payed the same rate, so it is really luck of the draw. Rooms were very clean, staff was nice and helpful. If you can get a good rate here, worth staying...but if your rate is within 50-100 EUR of a much nicer place, probably not worth saving the money.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
IC_Paris_Marceau, Responsable relations clients at InterContinental Paris-Avenue Marceau, responded to this review, July 7, 2014
Dear Valued guest,

It is a great reward to read such feedback about our team members and indeed our location.

Unfortunately, we couldn't manage to offer exactly the same room to your group, please be sure that we are keeping record of this event and will not disappoint you for your next stay in your Paris home

Thank you for staying at the InterContinental Paris Avenue Marceau and hope to see you back again soon.

Yours Sincerly,

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (98)
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Reviewed June 16, 2014

Disadvantages:
1) small room, but i was upgraded because of Ambassador Club.
2) That's all
Advantages:
1) Excellent concierge. They offered to book restaurant just after i made the booking. They offered many choices, and ultimately booked a 3-star restaurant for us.
2) Location - just behind Champs elysees. Lots of choice for F&B
3) Very friendly staff, they really try their best

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
IC_Paris_Marceau, Responsable relations clients at InterContinental Paris-Avenue Marceau, responded to this review, June 18, 2014

We would like to thank you for your recent review

We are very pleased to read that our entire team and especially our concierge team has gone even over your expectations.

We are glad to read that you enjoyed your stay in our Boutique Hotel because our Unique goal is to wish our guest the warmest welcome in their Home sweet Home in Paris.

We will be very pleased to wish you a warm welcome back for any further occasion you may need.

New York City, New York
Reviewed June 12, 2014

My husband and I spent 5 nights at this hotel last week and were very pleased. Even though we arrived early in the day the hotel didn't even hesitate at checking us in immediately. The concierge was extremely helpful in offering to make any recommendations we may have needed. As members of the Intercontinental Ambassador program we received an upgraded room which we found to be a nice size and very comfortable. The hotel is extremely well located and we were able to get to everything from the Sacre Couer to Roland Garros with ease. For someone looking for a very nice place to stay while they spend their days exploring the city, look no further.

Room Tip: Room 111 is spacious, nice and quiet.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
IC_Paris_Marceau, Responsable relations clients at InterContinental Paris-Avenue Marceau, responded to this review, June 16, 2014

We would like to thank you for your recent review

We are very pleased to read that our entire team and especially our Concierges has gone even over your expectations.

Jérémie Zeitoun
Fort Worth, Texas
Reviewed June 9, 2014

This hotel does have a fairly good location. It is just a couple of blocks from the Champs-Elysees and a couple of blocks from the Arc de Triomphe (which can be seen by walking out the front door and looking right).

The front lobby staff was extremely eager to help us... A little too eager maybe. We were there on holiday, and we packed extremely light due to the fact that we were traveling to multiple cities in three countries over two weeks, and decided not to lug a bunch of bags. We only had one small carry-on and a backpack each. I didn't feel that we needed the bellman's help with our one bag each, but we were heavily pressured to use the bellman, until my wife grew uncomfortable and caved in. I guess they needed the gratuities...

I had booked a room thru IHG (of which I am a platinum member) and i had booked a second room for our friends traveling with us thru another credit card program that just uses a travel agency to book you a room when you cash in points. The latter room was a nicer room than the other, which I realized should have included breakfast, when I thought about it later. The front desk staff nicely gave the better room to our guests, which of course I couldn't say anything about at the time without seeming rude. As it turns out, a higher floor seemed to be the only difference in rooms.

Then we were taken to our room by the bellman AND a front desk person. The front desk person was supposed to lead the way to the room and show us "all of the features", but she couldn't even seem to find it. The bellmen got us there thankfully. After turning in a small circle pointing out the obvious, the awkward moment came for the tips for both people. I don't mind tipping generously for assistance, but this was all unwanted and unnecessary in this case. Oh well, I only coughed up like 8 euro, but still...

While I do realize that most Parisian hotel rooms are small, I figured that the Intercontinental hotel would at least be a little larger due to their asking price/points. Our rooms were absolutely tiny though! We are talking about the size of a cheap cabin on a cruise ship in comparison...

Shortly after arriving and "freshening up", we met our friends out at the bar's patio so they could smoke. There was an occasional very light mist occurring, so I suggested that we ask the staff to put up one of the nearby closed patio umbrellas. Our friends informed me that they had asked the waiter that very question and were rather rudely informed that "these umbrellas are not for rain". Porous fabric would have been more than ample, but whatever. After sitting outside for nearly 15 minutes (with off-duty staff occasionally walking by going to a room off he patio), it became apparent that we were not going to get any further service, and I was thirsty! It was around 2:30pm, and there was only a few customers inside. Our friends had to even go inside to pay for their drinks, even though a waiter had come out to take their order. What service! (This was one of only two times that we had bad service in Paris.)

I declared at that point that we would not spend another euro here, which we did not.

The in-room NesPresso was fantastic! It was not as good as my big espresso maker, but excellent for in-room espresso. The TV had very few channels in English, but no big deal... The rooms were fairly clean. The beds were fairly comfortable with relatively good linens. No pool, spa, etc.

After two nights in our tiny rooms, we moved to the Hyatt Regency by CDG because we had to catch an early flight. The room was just as nice as this Intercontinental's rooms, but 3 times larger, and rather inexpensive!

So for location and in-room espresso, this is a great pick. If you want anything else, keep looking...

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends
3 Thank rmjones9
IC_Paris_Marceau, Responsable relations clients at InterContinental Paris-Avenue Marceau, responded to this review, June 11, 2014
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you so much for such a detailed feedback about your experience at InterContinental Paris Avenue Marceau. This is for us the shortest way to improve our level of service

Our location is considered as very central and propose a very good public transportation service, we are more than please that you enjoyed it.

As being made of 55 rooms and suites only, we always try our best to provide a faithful service and a tailor-made service to our guest. Accept our apologies if it was too much for you.
Be sure our employee wants to build a faithful relationship and don’t “need the gratuities”.

Regarding your comment about the room, we are deeply sorry to read that you did not appreciated the room and its furnitures. As our Cushion sand cover beds are coming from Kenzo, Missoni or Lelièvre, we thought that most of our guests would appreciate these trendy brands

Most of the Parisian Hotels are qualified as Boutique Hotels (less that 100 rooms) and it is true that our room size standard are smaller. All our rooms are different and due to the amenity or the view categories may vary.

One more time, allow me to insure you that tips is only to reward an exceptional service and our staff tries to provide the best service for the happiness of our guests.

Regarding the issue you had at the restaurant allow me to investigate to understand exactly. Our umbrellas are made to protect our guests from the rain but also for the sun. Make sure your comment will be a very good way for us to improve our service.

Thank you very much for the comments about the nespresso machine.

Dubai, United Arab Emirates
Reviewed June 6, 2014

This is for sure labeled by mistake as Intercontinental!!! There is no swimming pool, very small bar, one elevator to serve all, and unsafe stairs. The rooms are too too small!! I was upgraded twice they said and that added insult to injury. My room was 3 meter x 3 meter and the bath was inside the room with two sliding walls to make access possible to it. There was only one elevator to serve employees, visitors, room service,....and guests. I had to use the only stair and that was dangerous!! The stair has a spiral shape and the steps are not even. The steps get reduced in size as they go to the center and totally asymmetric. And to make things even worse, steps have metal edges!!! I complained to the management and they confirmed that they had fire drills and none complained before!!! I wondered if they had 80 years old guests during the fire drills before. I do not know how long it will take them and how many injured they would have from the stair itself. In short, it is a chaos waiting to happen.
To be frank, I am a Royal Ambassador member and I love Intercontinental but I felt I was deceived by the name. I was offered luxury and I received a cubicles camping Inn!!!!!
The restaurant and the food was lower than expectation by far. Staff could not help as they can not deliver something they do not have and I consider them unlucky to work there.
I felt unsafe for my parents as they have no choice in case of emergency.
I do not recommend this hotel to anyone specially if you can not jump stairs!!!

Room Tip: Ask for a suite otherwise you would feel in a grave!!!
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
4 Thank Basel H
IC_Paris_Marceau, Responsable relations clients at InterContinental Paris-Avenue Marceau, responded to this review, June 7, 2014
Dear Valued Guest,

We are sorry to read that you did not enjoy your stay among us.
Indeed, reading a disappointment from a guest must be considered as a failure in our unique goal which is to provide the best service ever and to keep on how improving it.
Most of the Parisian Hotels are qualified as Boutique Hotels (less that 100 rooms) and it is true that our room size standard are smaller than in Middle East .

We are sorry to learn that you did get the recognition you expected with our loyalty program. We did offer you one double upgrade for one of the room plus all the advantages such as free minibar and pay TV.

We wish you had told the Front Desk that you did not enjoyed the sliding doors of the bathroom because our property offers more than 60% of our rooms with regular doors.

Allow me also to ask you not to communicate pictures which are not relevant of our rooms.
The door you had is a sliding door on your picture it looks to have no doors.

We have to confess that we are very surprised by your comment about the food usually very often rewarded for its taste and subtil flavor.

Once again, we apologize for your disappointment. We always consider this kind of comment as failure in our Goal which is to welcome anyone as a valued guest and make your stay unforgettable

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 29, 2014 via mobile

Stayed here unexpectedly after original hotel had problem with our booking. Service and rooms were as expected but service was exceptional.

Only down side was the bar, no atmosphere, over priced and unfortunately poor service. €23 for a G&T. After being told they didn't have a gin that was on the menu (Hendricks) only for it to be served it with a served and with no ice and a lemon. If you don't know how to serve Gin properly you shouldn't offer it. Sorry to sound like such a Gin snob.

Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank David R
IC_Paris_Marceau, Responsable relations clients at InterContinental Paris-Avenue Marceau, responded to this review, May 30, 2014
Dear Valued guest,

We would like to thank you very much for your feedback about your stay at Intercontinental Marceau.

We are pleased to read that you enjoyed the way you have been welcomed by our staff.

Our unique goal is to reach and go over our guest's expecations.

Regarding the Gin, allow me to let you know that I am very surprised as our purchasing manager regularly controls our stock.
We do have 3 gins to offer to our guest The Beefeater Gordon, Tanqueray Bombay Sapphire and the Hendrick’s.
Our drinks as served in order to satisfy our guest on the best way.

Make sure for next time we will serve your gin on your proper way

We all look forward to welcoming you back in summer.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 29, 2014

Need to adjust expectations when going to Paris to avoid sticker shock and dissapointment. That being said this hotel was only moderately overpriced which is surprising for Paris and the standards was fairly decent. Everything was new, fresh, clean and tasteful. The staff were incredibly helpful in particular the concierge was fantastic making our arrangements etc. The location is unbeatable and really and truly perfect.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple