“Charming modern "gem" in great location and amazing staff!”

InterContinental Paris-Avenue Marceau
Ranked #604 of 1,805 Hotels in Paris
Reviewed January 17, 2013

Apart the great location and the beautiful building with interesting and super moder design, what really makes this hotel special is the staff. I was really really surprise of the kindess, attention and pro-activness of every single person that works there! Really enjoyed the experience, including Nespresso machine for a pre-breakfast in bed :)

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank MarghR
IC_Paris_Marceau, Responsable relations clients at InterContinental Paris-Avenue Marceau, responded to this reviewResponded January 23, 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your comments.
We are indeed very concerned about delivering a tailor-made service to our Guest so we are more than happy to read that you enjoyed the way we welcomed you.
The nespresso machine are at our guests disposal in any room category and it is true that some of our clients are fond of having a coffee break on the pillows.

We are looking forward to welcoming you back very soon

Best regards

Reviewed January 10, 2013

We stayed two nights this time from 28-30 December 2012. We are both Platinum Ambassadors and used one of our Stay 2, Pay for 1 weekend night certificates that we receive each year. They also correctly charged us for the first night, which was 40 euro less than the second night as the certificate states. I did notice a second charge of about 10 euro on my statement a week later so I contacted the hotel by email. Within 12 hours, Anne on the Reception team responded and credited my account back due to a minibar charge that was made in error. I only drank the coffee and took the tea, and both of those are free. They were very prompt and did not dispute my statement that we used nothing from the minibar, which we didn’t. On our arrival, they were preparing for a fire alarm drill so the elevator was not working. They insisted on carrying our bags up the stairs and apologized for making us walk up the winding staircase with many stairs since the ceilings are so high. I got my exercise for the day. The elevator worked the rest of our stay. We received a double upgrade (we are guaranteed at least a one level upgrade because of our Ambassador status) and were in Room 307, which was slightly larger than our previous room although the view was of the courtyard, but I prefer a more comfortable room to a view since I don't look out the window all night. We also received two large bottles of complimentary water and some fruit for our status. This room had everything the other did plus a small sofa. In Room 204, there was only a very small space between the two closets and the writing table, but this room had about a foot (30 cm) on each side, which made the room over 1/2 meter wider. The bathroom also was a little deeper by a meter (yard) or so. Strangely, they changed brands of toiletries from Hermes Paris to Agraria San Francisco plus there was a small bottle of Colgate plax mouthwash this time. I have noticed more and more that hotels are including mouthwash these days with the amenities. Again, these amenities were top notch, but it makes me wonder why a Parisian hotel would switch from Paris to San Francisco for their offerings. We had a king sized bed this time so no falling through the crack. There was also an individual serving coffee machine. We received 4 servings (1 decaf), and on my request, they restocked the second day. I didn't take these like I do tea bags and such; we actually made coffee. It would be difficult without the machine anyway! All of the staff was friendly and helpful except the time we entered when they were changing shifts late the second evening. They weren't rude, just preoccupied. I called the front desk a half hour later and requested a late checkout and was treated well. This is another perk for our status so we stayed until about 13h30 (1:30 pm) but could have stayed another half hour or possibly longer had we asked. The concierge, Mickael, was very professional and let me talk French. He helped me find a restaurant for lunch just across the river from Place d'Alma. We wanted to stop at the Georges Duboeuf wine shop after lunch so I wanted something that would bring us by there on our way back. He was just very well versed in his position, neatly dressed, and smiled continuously. We also enjoyed the conversations with one of the doormen, Jean Luc, who entertained my partner with restaurant and other Paris talk while I was talking to the front desk or the concierge. The desk staff was great as well except for the one time mentioned. They kept calling both of us the same name as the reservation was not in my name, but the aforementioned concierge, Mickael, remembered my name as well after I gave it to him for the restaurant reservation. I look forward to another visit on a future trip to Paris.
Also, please try (reservations most likely needed) the restaurant that I found on TripAdvisor, Chez Gabrielle at 7 Rue Etoille in 17th Arrondisement tel (33) 01 43 80 23 01 , located within easy walking distance. I am certain that the concierge will assist you with reservations and directions (or cab).
In summary, the main highlight of this hotel is being greeted by name as you pass by or ask for assistance. I have stayed at 3 other Intercontinentals and did not receive this personalized recognition except from one person in Chicago. My 24th visit to Paris won't be my last, and I plan to be back, probably in the next 6-12 months or sooner as Paris always has something fun and new to discover. I always enjoy wandering the neighborhoods, checking out new restaurants and revisiting others. visiting a small museum, talking to Parisians in restaurants, shops, hotels, and more--the list is endless....Paris is unique and always offers a new memory. Merci Anne, Mickael, Jean Luc, and the entire team for a fantastic, personalized, welcoming experience in the City of Lights!

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
IC_Paris_Marceau, Responsable relations clients at InterContinental Paris-Avenue Marceau, responded to this reviewResponded January 15, 2013

Dear Valued Guest,

We can not thank you enough for your comment.
It is indeed the greatest reward we could expect !

As being a Boutique Hotel, we are trying to learn what are the personnal and individual needs or services our Guests could request for and it is true that we are really fond of making their stay unforgetable

We are very pleased to read that Mickaël has been able to provide the service you needed
We would like to thank you especially for your comments about Jean Luc.

Our Porteurs and doormen are indeed the First Hotel Contact for our guests and as being so, it is very important that they deliver the same level of service than any other Hotel department

Regarding the amenities, since August 2012 it is mandatory for any InterContinental Property to provide the Agraria Brand.
It is now a worldwide standard whereas before every hotel was allowed to choose his own brand and Fragance.

That is the reason why before August 2012, we were providing Hermes, IC Athens was providing Korres, IC London Park Lane was providing Molton Brown etc…

We would like to thank you sincerely for your comment and be assured that we are all looking forward to welcoming you back very soon.

Reviewed January 9, 2013

The location of this hotel can't be beat -- excellent access to the many must-see sights of Paris. The breakfast was pricey but very good and worth the cost. Staff was very friendly and accommodating. Our room, # 404, was tiny, but comfortable. The bathroom sink had a drainage problem. And though the front desk insisted what we were hearing was the wind, we were absolutely convinced mice were keeping residence between the fashionable canvas drop ceiling painting and the ceiling. The drop was obviously secure against the ceiling so we didn't worry the critters might pay us a visit, but when all was still in the room, especially at night, we could clearly hear them scurry about the canvas. My Sweetheart even used a camera tripod to poke at the fabric and chase the critter back into the wall. I've never heard such clever wind in my life.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
IC_Paris_Marceau, Responsable relations clients at InterContinental Paris-Avenue Marceau, responded to this reviewResponded January 11, 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for the time you have spent to share your comments
As being a 5 stars property, you may know that we have to follow a large number of very strict processes especially for all the matters referring to health or hygiene.
All these audits are done by an independant company which is the best way to assure a full respect of the Health and Hygiene rules

As our property has opened less than 5 years ago and as we have more than 85% occupancy on a whole year, we truly think that should there be any critters or mice, we would have been informed before and several times by our valued guests and we would have noticed some

However, be assured that we will take some immediate actions and we will find from where and how this noise has occured and we will solve any technical problem

Reviewed January 2, 2013

The people really made this hotel very enjoyable. While like may hotels in Europe, the rooms are a lot smaller than we are used to in the States, however it was very clean and the bed was excellent.

The room is a bit cramped, and there is not much room to hang clothes etc... just a couple of "bureaus" no closets, and the bathroom door is a bit unusual too. It is a bit pricey, but honestly almost everythiing in Paris is.

the location is excellent within walking distance to the Arc de Triomph and Champs Elleyses, actually it is convenient to a lot of things. There is a great area by the big Ferris wheel at the end of Champs Elleyses. that has many street vendors within a short 10 minute walk.

I felt that the people of Paris that we met were generally friendly and this Hotel staff was very helpful.

We did not eat at the hotel restaraunt because it appeared to be very pricey. I will not go therre again, because one week in Paris was enough for my wife and I, not because this hotel was "bad".... it was nice to see all of the sights, but now, we have "been there" and "done that"....

Room Tip: The rooms are small.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Dan M
IC_Paris_Marceau, Responsable relations clients at InterContinental Paris-Avenue Marceau, responded to this reviewResponded January 3, 2013

Dear Guest,

First of all we would like to wish you a happy new year !
We would like to thank you very much for your feedback about our Property
We are glad to read that you have felt how our staff is helpful and dedicated to our guests.

It is true that european Hotels are generally smaller than US hotels and that is the reason why several room categories are proposed.

Should you want to come back, be assured that our Concierge team will be more than happy to suggest you several hidden places that you have probably never heard about but which are really worth discovering for a second or third trip to Paris

With our warmest regards,

Reviewed December 5, 2012

Disappointing, simply bad management or lack of it.

From the first day I arrived:
- the rooms are tiny, furniture like in a 3-4stars' hotel, don't expect more, not even a proper door to the bathroom (sliding door in each room with a space so when you shower the room gets really steamy), it looks very similar to a service apartment or Crown Plaza. Not at all value for money.
- the Night Duty Manager in charge couldn't make any decisions without consulting the Frontdesk Manager whom he couldn't even call, because "she doesn't want to be disturbed when she is off". Unacceptable. Who trained the staff, really bad image affecting Intercontinental.
- it took me 2 hrs to finally change the room, they couldn't even know what facilities they have in which room so we were running from one to another, this resulted in me getting late for a dinner with friends
- initially when I arrived I ordered a taxi to take me to the dinner and even though it was their fault (well lack of anybody able to make any management decisions delaying me of 2 hrs), upon checking into the room I called them immediately to cancel the taxi 10 mins before it was supposed to arrive - the reception instead said its too late and charged it to my room. How thoughtful!

Day 2-3:
- ordered pouched eggs for breakfast - got one in a small bowl with the white pieces hanging out of it, on it's own - 30 euro American breakfast!
- ordered room service in the afternoon, arrived after 1 hour, they simply forgot about it, they also forgot to bring a napkin with cutlery when it finally arrived
- day 3rd, I couldn't even order proper food as the restaurant was closed on Sundays which doesn't even appear on the menu, instead "Resturant & Room Service Menu served from 12:30pm to 10:30pm" - how on earth were they awarded 5 stars with only having cold meals on Sundays???!!! When food finally arrived - I ordered after 10 mins of explanation Ham and Cured ham + bread on a side and a chocolate mouse as per the Room Service Menu, instead they brought Ham Sandwiches and Coffee mouse!

day 4 - came to reception and Claire (the receptionist) in the middle of amending my incorrectly issued bill which I wanted to settle started serving another guest saying "I'm sorry but he is in rush and you have to wait". I couldn't believe it!!! I'm surprised the Intercontinental Corporate management is alright with this lack of their principal Customer Service standards in Paris. This badly reflects on their brand.

Additionally forget about SPA or gym, gym is tiny and may fit maybe 2 people. No SPA facilities. No other facilities, tiny reception. Rooms are noisy, you can hear your neighbours literally slamming the doors.

This is the worst InterContinental hotel i've ever seen in my lifetime.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled on business
6  Thank Inga1977
SdelaCroix, Responsable relations clients at InterContinental Paris-Avenue Marceau, responded to this reviewResponded December 7, 2012

Dear Valued Guest,

I would like to thank you for the time you have spent to share your comments.
I am deeply sorry to hear that your had a disappointing experience in our Property.

All our rooms are different one to each other and more than half of the inventory is proposing regular closing doors
As I am personally very involved in Guest satisfaction, be assured that I will investigate to find how your room has been assigned

However I am glad to read that we managed to propose you another room whereas the Hotel was sold out on your arrival day and it is true that finding a solution could have taken a few time and I would like to apologize for the delay.

Regarding the taxi booking, you may know that as soon as a taxi is booked some penalty can be applied and this decision is never ours.

During your stay you may have noticed that we are proposing 2 type of breakfasts:

-Continental
-Full American buffet breakfast

The main difference is when you order something cooked on order such as eggs, bacon, pancakes, sausages, crepes, smoked salmon, baked beans…

For 30€ our Full American buffet breakfast is all inclusive so you can get as many as you can eat and we are proposing fresh fruits, fruit salad, several types of Yoghurt, several types of cereals, hams, cheeses, jams, sauces, vegetables, fresh juices, waters, coffees, teas
Regarding the choice our guest are given, 30€ is a very reasonable price.

I feel very concerned and deeply sorry about the fact that the room service has forgotten to bring a napkin and that a mistake was made on your order
Be assured that I will take immediate actions in order to make sure that it will never happen again.

Our restaurant is indeed opened from 6.30 to 10.30PM (last order) on every day except on Sunday on which it is closed after 3PM
That is the reason why on Sunday afternoon and evening, we have only a limited menu and we always invite our guest to ask our Concierge to make a recommendation for a good restaurant should they want to have a full meal.

It is true that we do not have a SPA but most of the time, we book any treatment our guest would like to get with our partner Espace Payot which is located at a 3 minutes walking distance.
For a massage, it can be organized in the guest room.

I understand that you have been disappointed by your experience in our Property and that is the reason why I would like to invite you to contact our Guest Relation Manager by email at
eb@ic-marceau.com

I have no doubt that she will be able to show you how important is the attention we pay on your comment

I would be more than happy to meet you personally during any next trip you could plan to Paris.

Reviewed November 27, 2012

The lobby of the hotel is small and busy. It feels cramped and I was aware that my first impression wasn't good.However my room was ready (early). The front desk was getting a very hard time from some other guests who's room wasn't ready - quite abusive - and they managed it well.
The room was bright and airy overlooking a courtyard. It was big, and with a large bathroom. Included was a coffee maker and pods; most impressive. As with most Intercontinentals the bed was good and the cleaniness of the room without any problems.
The area around the hotel in is part tourist and part upscale. head south, towards the river and you'll find some reasonable eating places. However the nearby Etoile metro station isn't my favourite and one that needs care.
There was only one problem during the stay - the checkout. There at 7 a.m. I came across a clerk who clearly had no idea what he was doing. The person in front of me had issues with their bill and mine was several hundred Euros incorrect as well. He did - at length - correct it. However when I needed a taxi to Gare de Nord (there was no bellman around) he had no idea how to get a taxi. Nor did there seem to be any Duty Manager available. In the end I found a member of staff in the restuarant who would help me. In the end whoever let the person work alone on Reception is to blame. You don't put untrained staff to handle morning check-outs without some sort of back up.
Overall this is a pleasant enough hotel. The rooms are certainly better than the public areas although it just feels a little strange ~ the layout doesn't really flow and I (unusually) didn't make use of any of the hotel food or beverage options. I did put some laundry in. Not cheap but well done.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled solo
2  Thank PhileasFoggontour
Natasha L, Directeur général at InterContinental Paris-Avenue Marceau, responded to this reviewResponded November 28, 2012

Dear Valued Guest,

I would like to thank you very much for the time you have spent to share your feedback about our Property on Tripadvisor.
I am very pleased to read that my entire staff had made a great job in order to provide you a room before the contracted check in time.

We do know that some of our guests arrive after a long journey so we are always trying to provide them a good service upon arrival to make their first impression very good.

Regarding your check out, please allow me to apologize as I feel very confused that your bill was wrong.
On the second hand, I am glad to hear that we managed to solve the problem before your check out.

I feel as well deeply sorry about the fact that you had to wait for ordering a taxi.
As you were not the one complaining about that point, I have decided to take an immediate action and be assured that now, every guest is kindly invited by a note in his room to book his taxi the prior night to departure through our Concierge.

That makes a big difference as the taxi is waiting for the guest while he’s settling his check out.

Once again I would like to thank you very much for your comments and be assured that we are all looking forward to welcoming you back very soon.

With my warmest regards,

Sebastien de la Croix

Reviewed November 5, 2012

The hotel is well located. The staff are very pleasant. It is very small and there are very few facilities. The rooms are small. They are well equipped with nice fittings and decor. The Nespresso machine was a nice touch.

However, I would point out two issues. One was that our bathroom smelt quite bad. I think there must have been a blockage somewhere in the plumbing because the smell was coming from the wash basin. I never really got to the bottom of it. If we left the bathroom door closed at night we would open it in the morning and the smell was really bad. We decided not to tell the staff as we couldn't be bothered to move rooms and didn't want a plumber in such a small space.

The room was small and almost hermetically sealed. This was good in that it was quiet and warm. However, it got quite stuffy at night. At one point I opened the double glazing and we suddenly heard the roar of traffic outside. The fresh air was nice.

Another issue that niggled was that there was an ironing board and iron that took up half the wardrobe. I think that it would have been a challenge to have erected it and used it. Maybe it is superfluous given the space.

As with a lot of hotels these days the breakfast was c€30/head. It would have been nice to be able to pop-down for a coffee and croissant at a competitive price.

After all that I still thought the hotel was quite nice but wouldn't want to pay too much for the room. The bed was comfortable.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family