“a treasure in Montmartre”
Review of Afghani

Afghani
Ranked #1,681 of 18,343 Restaurants in Paris
Good for: Romantic, Families with children
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: Montmartre
Reviewed May 27, 2013

During a 3 week stay in Montmartre we visited l"afghani twice and made sure that everything we ordered was different from the first time, just to maximize our exposure to the wonderful dishes served here. The second time was even better than the first, perhaps because we were a bit more adventurous in our choices.The flavours are highly varied and delightful yet subtle too. Nothing we have eaten at this restaurant was less than totally satisfying. For 51.50 Euros we had a half bottle of wine, a shared appetizer, two mains, two desserts and two teas. The room is decorated simply and tastefully with traditional cultural objects and photos, posters, etc.The music is traditional and intriguing without being intrusive. If there's any criticism to offer it might be that the servers are rather remote and don't contribute anything personal to the experience. It's a quibble.If you go (and you should!) we recommend the plate of assorted appetizers,the firni for dessert and treat yourself to the tchai with cardamom. We don't think you can go wrong with any choice of main dish.

Reviewed May 10, 2013

This is a great place, as the food is just fantastic and the prices, very little for Paris.
For those who don't know Afghani food, it's a bit little Indian food but much more refined, flavoured. I just love it, and i'm rather a foodie and i've been living in Montmartre for over 15 years. It's a great place, led by very gentle people. Book your table a day in advance, it's safer..but you could also find a table around 9.30/ 10 if you pop by.
They also have a large tables for 8-10 people which are very convivial (the one on the main floor is nicer).

1  Thank Jeanne N
Reviewed May 2, 2013

I found this restaurant on trip advisor, as I wanted to try something a bit different. It was a great discovery! I have returned several times since, either with friends or with my boyfriend - all of which agree that it is a great restaurant!

Afghani is hidden away on a side street next to the Sacre Coeur. I used to live a street away and I had no idea it was there! The restaurant is small, cosy and welcoming and the staff are pleasant. The main tables are on the ground floor.There is a basement level which can accommodate larger groups.

The food is excellent (also in relation to the price) and I have never been disappointed. The mixed starter is great. It comprises a mixture of different battered vegetables (such as courgettes, pumpkin and potato) with a yoghurt dressing. It is lightly fried and isn’t heavy like many dishes of this variety can be. Various options exist for the main course - Lamb, veal, beef and vegetarian etc- including rice and pasta dishes., all of which are delicately cooked and perfumed with spices.

I have never been able to eat a desert but they do a very nice mint tea!

My only drawback is that the service is a little slow after having received the main course. There is only one guy looking after all of the tables! However, this is only a very minor point! I would recommend booking a table before arriving – it gets busy and I have never seen free tables on a Friday or Saturday evening.

1  Thank Carmen E
Reviewed April 8, 2013

Yum! My family stayed in an apartment just upstairs from this restaurant, but it's worth the trip even if you're not staying in Montmartre. If you're coming to Sacre Coeur plan on dinner here. We've had Afghani food many times before but I think this place tops the list. They even have outstanding veggie options! My son and I got 2 versions of the same dumpling dish, his with meat, mine without. They were both outstanding. I highly recommend this restaurant.

Reviewed November 26, 2012

L'Afghani is hidden away on a quiet residential street on the "unfashionable" side of Montmartre--I might not even have found it if I hadn't been renting an apartment across the street--but even if you're not in the neighborhood it's well worth a trip. The food is outstanding, and great value. It's a small place, and they don't take reservations, but if you go when they open at 8:00 you should be fine. Highly recommended.

1  Thank willowsong