“New favorite”

Cuisines: French
Dining options: Reservations
Neighborhood: Montparnasse
Reviewed December 2, 2012

Had the opportunity to try Le bistro des Pingouins during my last visit to Paris. This is a much talked about restaurant at my place of business. It seems like everyone knows its name and it's reputation even if they have never actually been there themselves. Visited with seven friends and had a terrific time. Casual atmosphere, great food. The tables are adorned with paper coverings which contain numerous "the best-of" handwritten streams of consciousness (in French) from previous patrons. I can only imagine these ideas were inscribed after a few bottles of the establishment's superb wine, as many are very deep. The English speaking among us had great fun in trying to translate the poetic musings.

I started with the Escargot in cream sauce, excellent and then had a goat cheese salad, oustanding. I finished with the Creme Brulee (even though I promised myself I wasn't going to indulge). I did and it was equally outstanding.

I'll be back.

1  Thank Hunt201
There are newer reviews for Bistrot des Pingouins

Reviewed November 30, 2012

B. des P. was the nearest place to my hotel during a recent visit to Paris. It is located on the fringe of an area crammed with eating and drinking spots. I found the reasonably quiet and unfussy atmosphere perfect for someone dining solo -- like yours truly. I can't add anything to the comments on the food. The price and quality were both great.

As for that waitress, I didn't find her disagreeable in the least. A bit aloof, but maybe in the manner of Barbara Stanwyck in "Double Indemnity." Is that so bad? Personally, I prefer that to someone intrusively bubbly and cheerful. During two of my three visits @ B. des P. there was a second waitress who was a bit more friendly. She served me during the first visit, which I suppose did have a way of making me feel more welcome than had I been served by Miss Stanwyck.

1  Thank johnny_simpatico
Reviewed November 20, 2012

We had the starter, main course and dessert menu and really enjoyed it. The menu offered a good selection and the food did not disappoint, great flavour and presentation.

1  Thank FionacIreland
Reviewed November 6, 2012

We stayed at the nearby Hotel Daguerre, so this was an easy choice for us. We dined there in 2010 and (I think) 2008, which might have been shortly after they opened. I never remember what I had last night, let alone a month ago (my wife does, but she's not here now), but it was very good. It was a convivial atmosphere - everyone seemed to be enjoying themselves. The bill for two came to about 60 euro, but that was because my wife had coffee and dessert, and I had an extra big beer. We'll gladly go back.

-- Steve

1  Thank YakkinYeti
Reviewed October 8, 2012

We were recommended this restaurant by one of the hotel staff where we were staying. it seemes that he liked it better than the service staff who actually worked there.

Other than the waitress, the steak was good. Go for the larger nicer cut of steak at 19 euros.

1  Thank Filotemo