“Good location - hotel not worth the money”

Hotel de Paris Montmartre
Ranked #1,280 of 1,797 Hotels in Paris
London, United Kingdom
“Good location - hotel not worth the money”
Reviewed May 1, 2012

I stayed at the Hotel de Paris Montmartre for two nights over the weekend and would say that the hotel is ok but overpriced. We had a room on the third floor next to the lift, the room was very small and needed redecorating at was very dated. The room overlooked a coutrtyard at the back of the hotel which was fine as I assumed the rooms over the street would be noisier. It was a fairly clean room, the bathroom was a good size but grubby - the shower curtain was stained with what looked like mould. The shower worked well but you had to hold it yourself as there was no wall attachment. The hotel was noisy - not only being next to the lift and hearing the lift noise but walls were thin and other guests could be heard. I wore earplugs so this did not affect my sleep.

The location was very good - a 2 minute walk to Place de Clichy metro. I won;t be staying here again but is ok if all you really want is a hotel in a good location. For 88 euros a night I thought it was overpriced.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the back of the hotel in a quiet area, away from the lift. I would also suggest as...
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
4 Thank S126

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed February 19, 2012

I just returned today from Paris...left the hotel early this morning and am now relaxing at home. I stayed in this room in large part due to tripadvisor. I had researched many hotels and this had the best reviews and was within my price range. I had booked the reservation online and under comments, requested a quiet room, and a larger one if it was available. The hotel is located in a small alley just off Place de Clichy metro. It wasn't a far walk at all, but the alley was dirty and full of graffiti. We arrived around 11am in the morning to find the front door locked. We had to wait outside for about ten minutes and finally decided to just grab something to eat. When we returned we finally were able to check in and asked them if there was someone at the front desk 24/7. I was told yes, but ocassionally the guy had to "step out"...so every evening when we get home I'd always have to pray that someone was at the front desk to let us in or we'd have to wait outside again (but I had no problem the rest of the evenings coming back to the room). However, this morning when we were checking out, we again had to wait for someone at the front desk. We went to check out at 0800 to catch the train to the airport...we were already running late and then arriving to the front desk and discovering an empty seat just ticked me off.

The room was good, basic. Comfy beds and the windows had automatic shutters. We can make the entire room pitch black if we wanted with the shutters and light-blocking drapes and sleep in. The rooms I think had to be cleaned every other day. The first day we were there, we requested that the room not be cleaned (there was no sign that you can hang and flip on the front door like other hotels) and they told us it was okay. the next day we were in the room 'till noon and housekeeping was knocking on the door. We told her we were okay with her not cleaning, but with my bad french and her bad english the front desk had to call our room to translate and say that our room HAD to be cleaned. So...instead of just relaxing in the room, we were forced to pretty much leave...kinda annoying, since all we wanted to do was spend a little bit of time in the room from walking so much the previous day. But...yes, they did clean the room, gave us some towels....the basics.

As for location...besides having to go down the alley, Place de Clichy is an awesome metro stop/area. Just around the corner is the moulin rouge and we spent quite a bit of time walking down that street. On our last evening my boyfriend and I decided to buy some last minute gifts, get some food to go and eat in the room so we can pack. There's a pharmacy, tons of restaurants, a movie theater, coffee places, book store, crepe, fast food, clothing stores....just lots of stuff. So even when you get home late, there's always a place to eat. Which is opposite what I could say about an area we stayed near the eiffel tower (three times the price, good location, but everything was closed come evening time). But here...it was raining, cold, and there were still tons of people outside.

Alright...lastly the noise in the room. I can hear people screaming and yelling outside during the wee hours of the morning. I mean, it didn't bother me THAT much, partly because it'd only last about 5 minutes and then it was quiet again. Our room was right next to the elevator, so ocassionaly we can hear people outside the room, but no biggie.

Would I stay here again? Yes....it's like a motel 6 in a good location. The price is right, considering Paris prices and from what we were able to save in the room we spent for lunch at Le Jules Verne restaurant in the Eiffel Tower.

Room Tip: Maybe ask for one away from the streets so it would buy quieter and not near an elevator.
2 Thank Aiko_14
Colchester
Reviewed February 19, 2012

The hotel is situated in a very vibrant part of Paris and very close to the Sacre Coeur area. Most atmospheric and wonderful. The Metro (Place de Clichy) is only a two minute walk from the hotel.
The staff were pleasant and helpful and the room was cleaned daily. I would point out a couple of problems areas that if sorted would have got an extra 2 stars...The decor, particularly the bathroom/toilet which had cracks and chips in the enamal of the bath and sink and the toilet seat had most definitely seen better days. Also the breakfast maybe could be a little bit better, but that's probably because I like a good old English cooked breakfast, so that might be a little unfair. Overall though, if youre on a budget you might like to consider this nice little hotel. (3.5 out of 5)

Room Tip: No air con, so in summer may be stuffy, but we went in February and the heating was nice and warm...
1 Thank SteveStocking
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 14, 2012

Timing of Eurostar and other train connections meant we needed to spend one night in Paris on our return from Barcelona. This hotel was cheap and cheerful. The room was clean and basic, but small with nowhere to sit and relax. Bathroom clean and adequate. We arrived at 19.00, freshened up and walked the short distance to Montmartre for supper. We retired at 11.30 and left the hotel at 08.30.

The rooms are not well noise proofed and the coughing of a guest in an adjacent room disturbed us.

I would not recommend a longer stay unless you were looking for just a basic spot to sleep.

Pisa
Reviewed February 6, 2012

I traveled for work on January 2012.
When I arrived, the bed sheets seemed to be not clean, like someone has already slept in my bed, and they had not changed the sheets. I complained, but they replied that the sheets had been changed for sure.
The shower was broken, so there was not way of having a good shower.
When I left, they told me that they couldn't provide the receipt for the drinks.
Finally, when I left the hotel, I kindly asked to keep my bag for a few hours to let me travel a bit more, but they said that this was not possible.
Choose this hotel only if you don't have other choice,

• Stayed January 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Cybercloud

Travelers are raving about these Paris hotels

Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 23, 2011

The Hotel staff are really friendly and got a warm welcome when we arrived and each time we went in and out. It is really basic and our room was small but spotless and all sheets and towel were clean and fresh. The metro station is only a 2min walk away and has lots of nice places to eat nearby. Your also close to Sacre Coeur and Moulin Rouge. If you're not looking to spend a lot of time in your room (you wont!) its perfect. You dont get much for your money in Paris so it helps when you are in a friendly, clean Hotel!

• Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
Dallas Fort Worth
Reviewed October 14, 2011

The Hotel Staff were most helpful especially Phillipe who assistted me in returning a Car Rental which I did not use. I have been to Paris 6 times and this Hotel for the price was Super. Located on a one way street within one minute of a Metro. Rooms are small but the service was excellent and I would return in a heartbeat and I stayed for one week. I would not recommend a stay in the Summer due to no AC. But my stay for one week was very cool with intermittent rain.
Very safe area with many,many Cafe's and local Bakeries. Only 2 Blocks from Moulan Rounge and one metro stop for Sacre Croix. Just a super location and I would take the train into this location due to ease of the Train and Metro connection.

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from the street if you are a light sleeper and I had a room one floor up number...
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled solo