“Designer's hostel” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #7 of 155 Specialty Lodging in Paris
Tokyo, Japan
“Designer's hostel”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 19, 2013

This hostel is located in the northeast area in Paris.It’s near the central of the city but we don’t need to care about it.We can go everywhere by metro.Paris isn’t so big city,so access doesn’t matter.This hostel’s rooms are very clean and comfortable,but sometimes I felt it would have been better if there had been more bathrooms.The system of coinlockers are very complicated to use,and wouldn’t have our baggage in the reception.They are supposed to be left in the coinlocker if we arrive at the hostel before check-in time.It cost 3-5euro to leave the baggage. If it exceeds 12hours,you have to pay extra charge.That’s too bad.Reception was always very busy,we had to wait for a long time to ask few questions. But the cost is very cheap! I can strongly recommend this hostel.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Gregory W, Hostel Ambassador at St Christopher's Canal Paris, responded to this review, May 29, 2013
Thank you very much for leaving your thoughts for us and all to see.

It's nice to see that you enjoyed the way everything is put together. We have the option of private bathrooms available. We had 4 separate bathrooms on each floor, however I understand for some this can feel over crowded especially at busy moments. We also have very good reasons for our locker system, mainly due to safety reasons. The lockers are safe and allow for insurance of your belongings. We are working to reduce queuing times at reception during such busy times, I'm sure the next visit will have faster queues!

St Christopher's Inn Paris Canal

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (103)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
Sydney, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 12, 2013

Paris is quite expensive so the price for this hostel is on par with economy of Paris- pricey compared to other cities. However, the beds were comfy, clean and the pods were good allowing privacy. Rooms were quite spacious. Lockers under the beds were quite noisy and disturb sleeping people. We had the backpackers special shepards pie for 7 euros and it was quite small and not worth it. We ended up going to the supermarket anyway and spending more money. Good to have a microwave and separate room to the bar however if you won't let people drink in that room, they will drink in the dorms so goodluck sleeping if your roomies want to party.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Gregory W, Hostel Ambassador at St Christopher's Canal Paris, responded to this review, May 14, 2013
Thank you for your thoughts on our hostel.

It's good to see that the hostel in all was a good stay for you, I understand the thoughts regarding the prices, Paris is just so! However we are working on this to make things more affordable for the back packers, new happy hours will be implemented soon, as well as other great deals. The menu is having a complete change with lower prices, which is even better with the 25% discount you get as a customer.

Unfortunately we have to prevent excessive drinking in the common room due to legal reasons regarding licensing on the property, with the bar in place. I mentioned the discounts arriving soon, so this should really help with backpackers.

I hope you'll be back to experience the newer menus etc.

Sydney
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 3, 2013

Had the greatest time staying at this hostel. The reception staff were friendly, happy and so helpful with all the random questions I asked. The bar staff were brilliant as well, especially when it came to sorting out a hot vegetarian meal for breakfast. The cleaners always had a smile on their face when I passed them in the hall which was nice compared to other hostels. I had a lot of fun chilling out at Belushi's, food was great and the daily events were a bunch of fun. I would of stayed no one else in Paris and I hope to run into a St Christophers Inn on my future travels. Well worth a bit of extra money to stay here on peak nights.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
Hello,

We are very appreciative of your comments regarding our wonderfulness! This really makes us happy, that you have had a nearly perfect stay with us, we aim for this and more with every stay!

It's great to see that the stay was a memorable one and the staff made it even better by going above and beyond for you!

London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 3, 2013

Ok, so St Christopher's really does tick all the right hostel boxes- it's kept clean, facilities are good, staff is friendly and it's not costly.
The bedrooms are really well-equpiied too: reading lights, privacy curtains and a huge luggage storage right under your bed.
However, other than being not ideal in terms of location, this is a huge hostel and since I was travelling alone, before my boyfriend joined me, I found it hard to make friends despite the bar and all. Again, can't fault the hostel, and if you're travelling in groups, stay there, but maybe reconsider if you are alone.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Gregory W, Hostel Ambassador at St Christopher's Canal Paris, responded to this review, May 13, 2013
Hey there,

It's pleasing to see that you enjoyed our facilities and staff, we really try to do everything we can to make you feel comfortable. We try to provide entertainment for all with our attached bar as well as keeping our dorm rooms nice and quiet for a great sleep! It's a shame you were unable to meet people, usually the bar is filled with people to meet.

Hopefully you'll still come back for another stay!

Sydney, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 29, 2013 via mobile

I first booked here for 3 nights, but of course found the place amazing to meet people (being a solo traveller) that I ended up staying a full week. I was impressed by the rooms: each bunk was built-in so no creaks, except for the secure storage underneath that made noise if you weren't gentle; every bed had two powerpoints/outlets per person and a reading lamp; plenty of space, some with tables & chairs; and of course a sink with a face mirror and a long mirror. I especially loved the curtain that draped across each bed which provided privacy while you slept.
The bar is a huge communal area that is a cheeky pub at night (each night had either karaoke, drink specials, live bands etc) or breakfast in the morning. Breakfast was either cornflakes or coco pops, apple or orange juice and baguettes with conserves including Nutella! You could have as much as you wanted. Thankfully breakfast finished at 10, allowing a reasonable sleep in unlike many other hostels.
There is also another computer room/quieter room that's large, as well as a giant locker room downstairs where you can store you stuff..at a small price for up to 24hrs. Attached is a small 'club' that usually housed mainly men, all for a small cover charge.
Best thing: very, very easy to meet people
Pro: nice facilities compared to the majority of other Paris hostels
Pro: no lock out = you can sleep off any hangover or sleep in if you need extra sleep
Con: it occasionally had massive groups of school kids - slightly overwhelming the place, especially if you booked day by day.
Con: location is just on the out reaches of the city so you must catch the metro (walking is out of the question). But then again, you've gotta catch the metro to get any where in Paris.

• Stayed April 2013
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Firstly let me thank you for leaving a review. We especially appreciate the effort and detail you have gone to.

It makes us happy that you were enticed into staying that much longer with us and that we were able to entertain you for your whole stay. There is a brand new upgrade to the breakfast now, so if you decide to come back for another Paris trip you'll have so many more options! (Fruit salad, ham and cheese, muesli and yoghurt!). So I'm sure you'll enjoy your stay even more!

Your comments regarding the rooms are just what we like to see, there's a lot of bonuses in staying with us and the curtains, plugs and lights are just a few of them! As for the cons regarding the metro, like you said you need it wherever you are in Paris as everything is very dispersed. We have 3 metro lines very near-by so this is Ideal, as well as two international train stations nearby!

Thank you once again.

St. Petersburg, Russia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 27, 2013

Excellent location - right in the middle of two Metro stations that gives an easy access to different subway lines. Clean, modern interior. Friendly staff. Perfect if you're travelling alone or with friends . I was staying in an 8 bed female dorm and even though it was full, there was no inconvenience + I met some great people to hang around with since I was travelling alone.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Gregory W, Hostel Ambassador at St Christopher's Canal Paris, responded to this review, May 4, 2013
Bonjour,

it's fantastic that you had a great stay with us and that you really found our location a good one, the metro stations definitely bring the sites a lot closer to us than most other places! I'm glad that we were able to meet your expectations on a whole, especially through the staff, who work very hard to make your stay enjoyable. Hopefully you'll be back again soon, thank you very much for leaving us a review here for all to see!

Bideford, England, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 19, 2013 via mobile

I stayed at st christopher's for 3 nights, and overall it was really good. I would agree with the other views in that this is definitely a party hostel, but if you're not a party person don't let this put you off because I'm not and I had no problems. I stayed in an 8 bed dorm which was very clean, as were the shared bathrooms. There are massive lockers in the rooms, plenty big enough for my all my stuff. The only slight trouble I had was that my locker was missing a bolt so it wouldn't shut properly. I told reception this but it didn't get sorted and in the end one of my roommates did it for me. This wasn't really a big issue, though. The rooms also have a table and chairs, and the beds have curtains across them for privacy which was a nice touch. I have to say it did get very very hot at night, and people on the street were a bit noisy so it would br a good idea to bring ear plugs or an ipod. The staff were really helpful and friendly and they all seemed multilingual which was a big help.

It's worth adding that the free walking tour that uses the hostel as one of its pickup points is really good and I would recommend it to anyone who's visiting Paris for the first time and/or who wants to learn more about the city.

• Stayed April 2013
Hey,

We really appreciate your comments and that you have taken some time to leave a review for us and everyone else to see.

It's a shame the room was too warm for you at the time, we will have to look into possible solutions for when summer comes back. The broken bolt would have been fixed the next morning I'm sure, as soon as the maintenance team came to the rescue, we're sorry you had to wait on this occasion. We're happy that you appreciated all the little things, like the curtains, and that the staff were able to cater to your needs!

The Sandemans free walking tour is a great way to see and learn more about the city. They're highly recommended by us here at St Christopher's Inn, they come right to our front door to pick you up!