“Sketchy Location far from the center of paris”

St Christopher's Canal Paris
Ranked #5 of 181 Specialty Lodging in Paris
Reviewed March 26, 2011

When first booking the St Christophers hostel on hostelbookers.com I was overcome with excitement because the reviews were so high. On the hostellbookers website St. Christophers hostel page was bombarded with, "Best Hostel in Paris" and "Great location". Well... if I wasn't lied to then someone was extremely exaggerating the truth. St. Christophers hostel was by no means in a good location, BY NO MEANS!! You are going to be on the subway for at least 40 minutes one way to see any of the main tourist attractions. In addition the area around the hostel isn't the greatest, if you are walking all day and just want to relax at a nearby bar you are SOL. They have a bar at the hostel, but prices are high.

In Lehman's terms I would not advise to stay at this hostel, I am an easy to person to please but I just couldn't wrap my head around how much I payed and where I was staying.

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled with family
7  Thank Savinius_88

Reviewed March 3, 2011

The hoste is fine, but they can improve in several aspectes.
-METAL CAGES REALLY NOSY. I don't see the point of having them, they could have just normal lockers, room are big enough.
-Showers not that clean but that's user's fault too.
-Didn't feel so safe in the bedroom, one of the other 7 people I shared the room with was agressive.

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled with friends
1  Thank 2015-HappyTraveler
Reviewed February 28, 2011

I definitely enjoyed my stay here. The bar is very convenient and served up pretty good dishes - pizza, burgers, nachos. The free internet is convenient and I was able to access it from my room on the fourth floor. The 8 people room I was in was clean. It was kind of annoying that the cleaning lady was imposing on me when I had to get ready for my field study early in the morning. I had put my things down on the counter and she was being impatient and asked me to remove my things. She then closed the washroom off when I was planning to reenter it. Also, if you are not to confident with your ability to navigate the Metro you may want to find somewhere closer to the city center. Other than that great free breakfast in the morning with cereal, orange juice, tea, and baguettes... just no hot breakfat for free.

• Stayed: February 2011
Reviewed February 23, 2011

Loved Paris and this Hostel, Would stay at this chain again for sure!

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled solo
Reviewed February 22, 2011

Stayed here for one night as we broke up our day long trip home. Cool place with nice rooms and a good FREE breakfast! Slightly out of the way of everything, definitely need to buy transit tickets which aren't cheap. I would say next time I'd stay somewhere closer to the heart of the city.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled with family
Reviewed February 16, 2011

I stayed there for 2 nights with 4 friend and we had an amazing stay! The location is not the best but it is close to the metro station, so it's possible to go anywhere. We stayed at a room with 10 beds with a courtain on each, so could have privacity. I would recomend it to a family member : )

• Stayed: February 2011
Reviewed January 30, 2011

St. Christopher's Paris Hostel is located in Rue Crimee, just besides La Villette Basin, which is the largest artificial lake in Paris. The hostel is easily recognizable due to its unique facade, and is one of the most happening place to be in Paris, if you are backpacker.

I had rather nasty experience of living in hostel when I came from Rome to Paris. I reached Paris at 1:00 AM and took metro to reach Crimee metro station. It was pleasant to see the hostel not only open, but full with people in the bar at that time. The reception was prompt and responsive. The vibrating atmosphere of the hostel was energizing and electrifying, There was also a rock band scheduled to perform later that night.

Internet was free and every room was provided with locks for keeping stuffs. Youths from all over the world can be see there, willing to see Paris at lowest cost possible. The staff members were cooperative in showing directions on the map for various sight seeing. There was also a Paris sightseeing by walking starting from the hostel.

Overall the experience was nice. But remember, this place is not for serious visitors or family. Only backpacker youths are advised to stay here.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled as a couple