“Fine French Cuisine without the Fuss”

Le Cafe du Commerce
Ranked #1,316 of 19,772 Restaurants in Paris
Good for: Business meetings, Special occasions, Large groups, Romantic, Local cuisine
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: 15th Arr. - Vaugirard
Reviewed May 26, 2016

We met up with some friends from med school at this restaurant. At first I was worried about the staff being snooty to us since we were dressed like typical American tourists (hey, I was wearing my best romper), but they were very courteous to us. We had a child in the group and the waiter was charming to her. Food was authentically French. I got duck, which was wonderfully coooked. Get the foie gras. There was also rabbit.

Date of visit: August 2015
1  Thank Tina N

Reviewed May 22, 2016 via mobile

Elegant setting on three floors with open atrium with a sliding roof window. Dinners on third floor sit around the edges of a balcony that allows second floor diners lots of "espace". Solid menu with emphasis on beef - I selected rognons which are baby beef kidneys in a mustard sauce and my companion had sea bass - both delightful and what you expect from top dining establishments. Don't usually have dessert but was tempted by the cherry sorbet with mini cherries in a separate glass doused in eau-de-vie which I ended up pouring over the sorbet. Just spectacular! Reasonable 60 euros for two main courses, two desserts and two glasses of wine. Worth a return visit!

Reviewed May 17, 2016

It is about sixteen years since I last dined at Cafe du Commerce and it was memorable then. This time we were visiting Paris with friends who had not been to Paris before so thought Cafe du Commerce would be a good start and we were not disappointed . Ambience, lovely. Service superb, food good and good value.
I had the smoked salmon to start which was nice, I shared a chateaux briand which was ok and a superb cafe gourmand. My three friends all enjoyed their meals and the experience. Cafe du Commerce offers a very traditional French menu so not for burgers etc.

Reviewed May 10, 2016

First dined here over 10 years ago and have been a regular visitor ever since. Classic Brasserie over 3 levels with a glass roof that opens to the warm evening. It was busy Saturday night and place was packed, mainly with groups of families and friends. There must have been about 200 diners at any one time but the place operated smoothly, both service and food.

It has all the classic dishes and a good selection of oysters, seafood and specialty steaks. The 600g heart of rump for 2 was particularly good and came with several sauces. A special of grilled calves liver with mushroom and onions was well prepared and the Skate with brown butter was as you would expect. Starters of braised octopus, pigs head terrine and crab salad were all good quality Brasserie classics. The wine list has a good selection and is reasonably priced.

This place is very French, set in a nice residential area of Paris and mainly frequented by locals. When I have been here in the past there have been few other English speakers, including the staff, so it helps if you can speak a little French. This time we were provided a menu in English which I can't recall previously.

Not far from the Eifel Tower so a handy place to stop for lunch or dinner if you are in this part of Paris.

Reviewed May 6, 2016

The exterior doesn't quite do the inside enough justice. We just spent a lovely evening with the rump steak, unforgettable profiteroles and a creme brûlée that can crack the glaze of any hardened heart. Looking around, the decor is exactly what I always hoped to see, old illustrated posters framed along the walls, cured meats hanging, fresh cakes, a bar where champagne is being poured, and a waiting staff who seem serious about their profession, courteous and understanding of us English who try to get away with not listening in our school French lessons. It's our first day in Paris for many years, here now for an anniversary, and I think we might come back to Le Cafe du Commerce again before we leave.