“A Sensory experience!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Guy Martin Italia - CLOSED

Guy Martin Italia
Cuisines: French, Italian, European
Good for: Romantic, Business meetings, Special occasions
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Lunch, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Neighborhood: Saint-Germain-des-Pres
Alexandria, Virginia
“A Sensory experience!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 23, 2012

My son wanted to take his wife to Paris for her birthday (and New Years) and asked me to find a good restaurant for the family. Finding a good restaurant during the Holidays in Paris is no small feat and I spent hours looking until I came across Sensing. I checked out the menu and knew it was something my daughter-in-law would like. So I made reservations for the troop (all five of us - kids included) and off we went to Paris. We arrived for our lunch booking to find this small but beautifully appointed restaurant, which seemed out of place in the 6th but that made it more of a find. We were greeted and seated at first by a rather stiff waitress and we were a bit uncomfortable and the setting seemed cold but then this lovely, vibrant little lady came in and warmed up the entire room. She took the time to speak to our kids and helped them find something from the menu that each one would like. She joked with us and when my son jokingly asked her if the chef "could rustle up a steak for a big guy" she obviously went to the butcher's next door and got him a lovely perfectly prepared rib-eye and did not charge for the substitution. Now that is what I call service! The food itself was beautifully prepared and you could tell that Chef La Mantia took pride in preparing each item, from the amuse to the coffee and petit fours, each item was beautifully prepared, plated and presented; and tasted as good it looked.

I was really impressed with the restaurant; although I still think it seemed out of place at the location. It's beautiful modern but tasteful decor was had such an elegant air and perfectly matched the cuisine. The food rated outstanding with the adults and even the kids liked what they were served; the service was definitely outstanding so overall I rate Sensing a 5. I would like to thank the staff for taking such good care of us, especially on New Year's Eve. As we were leaving we mentioned that is was my daughter-in-law's birthday and they gave her a copy of Chef Guy Savoy's cookbook as a present! I thought that was really sweet!

I plan to return on my next trip to Paris. Sensing is not to be missed!

• Visited December 2011

Paris, France
“Horrible service and terrible food!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 17, 2011

I went with some friends and we had a very bad time there. The service was simply rude. The waitress refused to speak english with us and to explain the menu. They did not have either the wine or the food we chose. Based on food, this restaurant is not a fine dining one.

London, United Kingdom
“Friendly service and refined flavours”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 7, 2011

My husband and I dined at Sensing on Saturday evening and had a truly wonderful experience. The service was excellent, friendly and knowledgeable. We ate upstairs, which was quieter than the main restaurant downstairs, I think the atmosphere was perhaps a little lacking upstairs in comparison. The top level would be good for a group as it's quite small and you could hire out the entire space. We both chose the degustation menu's which were varied. Each course had been given good thought and this shone through. The menu's were very good value for money as they included unlimited wine. I'd definitely recommend this restaurant to those looking for fine dining in unpretentious surroundings.

• 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
russia
“Everything perfect,surprising these days”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 1, 2011

Between 6 friends all leaving in different part of the world,we met this evening in Sensing.
Food,Ambiance,Service was perfect.
Will be back with other friends

• Visited November 2011
Paris, France
“Horrible service, food definitely below expectations”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 23, 2011

I went with friends and had a terrible experience, service extra rude, no creativity in the menu, the restaurant was basically out of food...
1) we booked the table and our table didn't have full couvert as they claimed they didn't have enough dishes
2) we ordered 5 beef and they told us they were left only with 2. As 3 were choosing a replacement meal we were urged to chose quickly as the kitchen was closing, not even an apology or some recomendation for a different plate
3) we were trying to speak in french all time, we asked the waitress only to translate for us the name of a fish and she said 'i don't know, it's a white fish...'
3) they didn't have the wine we chose
4) 1 of the beef was pure fat, really the leftover, if i was a chef I would be ashamed to serve a plate like this with my name on
5) the veal was extra dry
6) they brought us the wrong cheese platter and as we asked the waitress to explain the different cheese she simply left
7) as we complained for the poor quality of the services we did not receive a single apology

• 2 of 5 bubbles