“A neighborhood brasserie”

Ranked #305 of 17,512 Restaurants in Paris
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: Tour Eiffel / Invalides
Reviewed February 5, 2013

It's still a lovely quiet and civil place for a very good beer, coffee, plate and dessert.

However, i found the dessert to be flatter than I'd liked and it was chocolate (pot au creme).

The waiter is funny, helpful and friendly. He was perfectly willing to speak in English after I spoke my poor French.

He made the late evening stop worthwhile.

I suggest you stop for a break here.

I've been going for twenty years and it's still a pleasure to see the actual stone blocks that hold the building up as part of the decoration.

The beer is really good.

1  Thank Upperny
There are newer reviews for Cafe Varenne

Reviewed January 6, 2013

We dropped in for lunch and although most of the staff did not speak English we managed to secure a table with our poor french! The waiter dug out a menu handwritten in english and recommended I ordered the chicken (so I did of course!). The food was good and the head waiter was hilarious sliding around the room and obviously charming the pants off of the clientele who all appeared to all be local. The lady sitting next to me, who noticed my enquiring look at her dessert explained in halting english that it was a french favourite of whipped cheese (?Cream) served with a pot of jam - it looked lovely but we were too full to manage dessert, maybe next time!!

Reviewed November 30, 2012

Cafe Varenne is a quentessential Parisian bistro. The food is excellently prepared, and the service is very friendly. We began ordering our food in French, but when we were obviously having difficulty with the language, our server was happy to swich to English to make sure we were happy. We ended up ordering omelettes, served with a cut-up baguette and simple salads. It sounds simple, but it was so expertly prepared that it was impressive. The eggs were done just right, and the flavors were wonderful. The atmosphere is also pleasant and just what most people think of when they imagine "French bistro."

2  Thank BenS3
Reviewed November 14, 2012

Great place, very nice. No one speaks english, but that means that you are in a place that french people will go to, not a tourist trap. They had great soup too.

1  Thank Daniel C
Reviewed November 5, 2012

We went in for lunch on a busy Saturday and were really amazed by friendliness of owners and staff! Food was good - limited choice but really freshly cooked. a busy "Paris" bistro in centre of St Germain des Prés. We will go back for sure!! Only "disadvantage" is no wi-fi but owner offered to use his own 3G-mobile to help me out with museum reservations. How many restaurant owners in Paris will do that? Congratulations.
PS We were seated in the front section of the bistro and not in "la salle". We preferred the bistro instead of the bigger room.