“La Bucherie is first on the list of Parisian cafes and restaurants with lax no-smoking law to get thumbs down.”
Review of La Bucherie

La Bucherie
Ranked #9,234 of 17,598 Restaurants in Paris
Cuisines: French
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Neighborhood: Odeon / Saint-Michel
Description: This caf��/restaurant is situated on the banks of the 5th arrondissement of Paris, in the heart of the Latin Quarter just opposite Notre Dame, whose view can be enjoyed from the fantastic terrace (heated in winter). Enjoy the tastes of Italy from more simple dishes such as Bruschetta to more complex dishes like rabbit with fennel and polenta. In elegant and comfortable surroundings, enjoy the music from resident pianist Manu from 6.30pm onwards who is accompanied by singer Audrey from 10.30pm onwards. There is a great cocktail list and weekends offer a resident DJ playing anything from rhythm and blues to RnB and from disco to funk.
Reviewed November 16, 2012

A waiter stands on the pavement inviting visitors to step inside, telling you there is a lovely view of Notre Dame from your table on the terrace. This is indeed true. But what the waiter does not say is that the terrace is reserved for smokers and you will be exiled to an interior, non-view Siberia if you want a non-smoking environment. Of course you will have to pass through the foul smoke to get inside. We decided to take the risk,because yes, we are suckers for views of Notre Dame. Bad decision! Not only did we have to try to ignore the rude smokers puffing away around us, but we had to try to choke down the expensive, almost inedible, tasteless Penne with Two Salmons for me and another unappetizing pasta dish for my husband. As if all this was bad enough, a visit to the toilet revealed further horrors. No toilet seat and no paper to dry one's hands after using the not very clean facilities. A pane of glass on the stairwell going down-stairs was badly cracked and looked as though it could disintegrate at any moment. Upholstered chairs on the terrace were ripped and torn. The whole place has an uncared-for appearance. I wonder what the kitchens are like? The owners of this awful clip-joint are trying to keep the smokers, even at the risk of driving away non-smokers. I call this place a clip-joint because that is what it is. Other restaurants a street or two away offered cheaper "formule" menus, that is, two or three dishes for a stated price - what we paid for one plate of pasta.
There is a non-smoking ban in public places in France, has been since 2006. But it is poorly enforced, so cafes and restaurants and their smoking customers flout it every chance they get. Tourists provide considerable tax revenues in France, perhaps if enough of us fight back with honest reviews that reflect the disgusting conditions under which we are expected to "enjoy" some establishments in "la belle France," the French themselves will begin to take notice.
There is nothing to recommend La Bucherie apart from the view. You can have that for free if you just pause on Quai Montebello, put your elbows on the parapet, tarry for a few moments and gaze at Notre Dame, the Seine, the light in the sky, the bateaux mouches bustling back and forth on the river. Ah Paris! Now if we could just get rid of that nasty cigarette smoke it truly would be an enjoyable and attractive place to visit.

2  Thank Therese R

Reviewed November 13, 2012

Having walked much of the length and breadth of the Left Bank and the Latin Quarter, I rewarded myself with a late lunch at this typical Parisian cafe/restaurant which is located two doors from the Shakespeare Book Store. I normally prefer to sit inside the restaurant versus the outside seats mainly because smoking is not allowed inside, however this time I made an exception because of the view from the outdoor seating. Notre Dame Cathedral is directly across the Seine from the restaurant and really enhances the dining experience. I ordered one of their daily specials which turned out to be a combination of white fish and salmon accompanied by the most delicious creamy scalloped potatoes I have ever eaten. I’ll never look at scalloped potatoes the same way again. For dessert I enjoyed an excellent sample plate of cheese. I found this meal to be of good value, not to mention being exceptionally delicious. My server was very friendly and efficient. Some of the reviews of this restaurant are very negative, however, my experience was totally positive, and I would not hesitate to dine there again.

Reviewed October 13, 2012 via mobile

Just read the other reviews of this restaurant and was surprised as we had a lovely meal. The service was fine and our food was delicious. The meals coming out to others looked good too. It was very busy and had a nice bustling atmosphere. Our waiter was really good and advised us against sides we wouldn't have needed so not just out to make a fast euro either.

Reviewed September 23, 2012

Staff was friendly and very helpful. We went a couple of different times, once for dinner the day we arrived and a couple of other times for brunch or breakfeast. This place is great for a good breakfeast or mid day meal. The quiches were great and the coffee was excellent.

Reviewed September 23, 2012

My husband and I were very pleased with the service, food and atmosphere when we had an early brunch after visiting Notre Dame. Waiter could not have been more attentive and helpful as we spoke very basic French and he immediately provided an English menu which he discussed with us and was very helpful when my husband wanted a variation on their crepes. Waiting time was minimal and I noted the same attention was given to other patrons from various backgrounds and age groups.