“Good ambience”

Cuisines: Cafe
Good for: Local cuisine
Neighborhood: Le Marais
Reviewed June 21, 2013

We visited this restaurant at Sunday lunchtime after a delightful walk through the Marais. It is a classic old style Parisien bistro full of other customers, mostly French.The food was of a good standard with a large number of waiters providing an attentive service. In our view an excellent place to catch some of the atmosphere of living in Paris. We will return on our next visit.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,617)

Reviewed June 12, 2013 via mobile

The food is good and this is a great place for breakfast, especially if you're in the neighborhood. If you're American just be aware to change your service wait-time standards; things move slower here.

Reviewed June 10, 2013

In gathering tips from home before my first trip to Paris, three different people told me to try the tomato pie at Les Philosophes. We did and loved it. There are so many places to go to eat in Paris and having a destination gave me a feeling of knowing what to do in such a short time. Charming elegance eating indoors or out with friendly staff. It appeared that many locals eat there and feel comfortable with the menu. I saw folks of all ages, singles and families relaxed and enjoying themselves. We had lunch there and were served by an American waitress who gave us all the time we needed to ask questions re: the menu and anything else. I would return.

Reviewed June 6, 2013

We found this place by accident. It was chilly & raining. We were hungry!
The food, service & outdoor heaters were wonderful. Veal medallions with the best potatoes. French onion soup. The four of us loved it. Great find, you should go!

Reviewed June 4, 2013

I've been to Les Philosophes several times the past 10 years but this time it was not as great as previous visits. I recently read some of the other reviews and we also had the American server, and while she seemed a little eccentric, she was not rude and provided great service. The lamb was overcooked (surprisingly) and while my streak was cooked as ordered, it was lacking in flavor. The salade de crudités was mediocre as was the cheesecake (although I was curious of the interpretation-- more like a whipped key lime custard with a traditional cheesecake graham cracker crust). Nice wines and wine list, but slice of fois gras was also mediocre. The gratinee (French onion soup) was superb, however.

1  Thank Deirdre W