“Interesting Modern Take on Tradtional French Foods”
Review of Monjul

Monjul
Reserve with
Save up to 20% when you reserve online *
Monjul is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #364 of 17,512 Restaurants in Paris
Cuisines: European, French, Contemporary, Fusion
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Lunch, Reservations
Neighborhood: Le Marais
Description: La cuisine de Monjul c'est aussi le métissage culinaire : des saveurs et des textures venant du monde entier qui bousculent, qui font l'expérience d'un apprentissage gustatif. Cette osmose, cette passion toujours en ébullition, ce gout de faire plaisir sans chichis ni gravité, c'est la cuisine de l'amour...de la gourmandise !
Reviewed October 22, 2012

Recommended by our hotelier - this was a great experience in the Marais. Food very interesting within a very affordable prix-fixe menu. Even the supplemental prices for special dishes were within reason. We were not rushed at all and had a pleasant and delicious meal.

There are newer reviews for Monjul

Reviewed October 8, 2012

We had the 3 course menu for 35€ (there is also a la carte or 6 course menu for 50€).
All courses were very creative, tastefull and nice looking. Service is adequate but not special.
They have a reasonable selctions of wines. I had a small dispute about the caraf of wine we had. It was spoilt. The staff told me that the wine by caraf is never good and that you should take bottles. Of course this is nonsense if you have it on the list it should at least be drinkable. I know that you may not expect top class wine if ordering a caraf, but I also know how a low priced macon white should taste enad this was not how it should be (it was like slightley sparkling vinegar, spoilt). The staff disputed this, but fair is fair they did not but it on the bill and we got something else that we enjoyed.

4  Thank Gourmand_nl
Reviewed September 2, 2012

Monjul was truly a wonderful experience. The service was excellent, everybody could speak English on a good level, food got a proper introduction and the atmosphere was wonderful. It is a very small place so you'd need to book in advance. It seems a lot of tourists haven't discovered it since we were asked how did we find the place and then saying that they usually serve locals. For us, it was perfect since we always prefer places that locals love! The food was excellent and what a good price. We went for the 3 course 35 euro meal and a bottle of 33 euro wine which was very good, this was suggested to us by the waiter. It seemed that they mixed local cuisine with Asian and it produced some wonderful dishes. I had gaspacho and veal carpaccio to start with, next came salmon as a main (the most creative dish made with salmon I have ever tasted) and finished with strawberry mille-feuille with strawberry milkshake (also tapioca added!). Everything was cooked perfectly and you could see the little Asian touches everywhere. It was truly an amazing meal and I wish this restaurant was in London so I could visit more often!

2  Thank raakri
Reviewed August 31, 2012

This was our second visit, the first one was last year, it was then also ‘hit and miss’ but the ‘hits’ were far more than the ‘misses’. Because our overal experience was so good we decided to forgive them for the flavor’s which we felt did not work and without much second thought we decided to visit once again.

But after visiting I am wondering how it is that there are so many wonderful reviews, when we visited there were a lot of tables for 4, a lot of laughing and people really enjoying themselves. Would this bring the attention some-what away from the food…?

I am kicking myself for letting the following happen and not saying anything, my husband asked for water and before we realized it he had bottled water in his glass and we had a 5 euro bottle of water on our table. Maybe I am mistaken but I could not help but look around at the tables and come to the conclusion that French speaking persons had a carafe of water and tourists a bottle. Please correct me if I am wrong.

We both had: Gazpacho, veal Carpaccio, celery and tuna, salad, toast garlic and tomato.
It looked fantastic.
The gazpacho was good, but just as good as you would get (and we did get that afternoon at a tapas restaurant) at any tapas restaurant. The veal carpaccio was well made and tasted good, underneath it was the celery and tuna salad. This was so bad that I did tell the waiter my thoughts on it: it was heavy in the mouth and had absolutely nothing special about it. Actually it tasted as if a can of tuna was opened and then mixed up with a heavy mayonnaise. The toast garlic was I think missing the garlic and the baby tomatoes were just raw tomatoes cut up in 4 pieces.
My husband and I were very disappointed but hoped that the meal would pick up with the main course.

I had: Scallops baked with caper butter, razor clam stuffed parsley, garlic and lime, citrus fruit gratin pasta, octopus taboulet Lebanese (charge:+4 €)
It looked wonderful. The 3 small scallops and small razor clam tasted fantastic, I was very happy. The octopus taboule was a bit rough around the edges next to the delicate scallops and clam, in the way the parsley was cut but also the flavor’s. Such a pity. There was a long slice of pasta in between this all, it tasted bland but was also very heavy, to look at but also in the mouth. This really ruined the dish for me. I could not understand what the thoughts were putting some-thing like this beside scallops and clam.

My husband had: Quail tajine, eggplant, basilico caviar, carrots with cumin, coriander, peanuts, chicken balls, chickpeas and grape. The Quail looked fantastic and was the best looking dish of the evening, also it was cooked perfectly and tasted perfect, for us it was first class. On another dish were 4 accompaniments which was not a good combination with the quail and nothing of it really tasted special. The quail should have been served just with some couscous and nothing more, it would have then been a perfect main course. Of course I realize that it would then not have a ‘special’ factor but for us the ‘special’ factors were just not working.

Strawberry mille-feuille, tagada ice cream and strawberry milkshake. This was all so bad, every-thing tasted so artificial it was not funny.

Exciting pear, cheese cake, shortcake tray, cottage cheese ice cream: How on earth can a chef put on the same plate awful artificial tasting and looking lemony gunk and a dream dessert of shortcake, pear and cheesecake which was really well thought out, presented and tasted absolutely wonderful? I am still shaking my head on this one.

We love all sorts of restaurants, we can enjoy fish and chips to… well anything, bring it on. We love to be surprised, try new flavors and combinations, but they need to work, or have most of them work. We left the restaurant feeling very let down. Such a shame.

1  Thank roma01
Reviewed July 22, 2012

Excellent service. We arrived on a Saturday for the lunch and it was just absolutely fantastic. Went back for the prix fixe dinner that same night. Welks, steak, salmon, foie GRAS were all at play.

We wish there was a restaurant with as much spirit in our hometown now that we have left Paris.

1  Thank Michael M