“Disappointed by the set menu - bland and poor value”
Review of El Picaflor

El Picaflor
Reserve with
Save up to 30% when you reserve online *
El Picaflor is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #1,815 of 18,347 Restaurants in Paris
Cuisines: Peruvian
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: Quartier Latin
Reviewed April 28, 2014

My partner and I stumbled across this place in the Latin Quarter on our first night in Paris. It looked cosy, packed out with diners and had numerous awards & stickers on the front window so we thought we'd give it a go.

Perhaps it was a busy Thursday evening, but we waited for 15-20 minutes before we were offered a drink which wasn't the best start. We ordered the house Sauvignon white wine which tasted pretty terrible and definitely not worth €14 for 50cl.

The main dishes looked expensive and having travelled from London that day we were both very hungry, so we opted for the set menu (€25 each) and were very disappointed by the dishes. My starter was bland - essentially a small dome of cold mashed potato with some tuna mayonnaise running through it, served with two cherry tomatoes and a piece of brown avocado. My partner's was worse - a small and soggy empanada,which had clearly just been zapped for 30 seconds in the microwave and a side of lettuce leaves doused in mayonnaise.

So by the time the mains came out we were famished, but unfortunately they were just as disappointing. Mine was essentially a creamy chicken curry with rice - a tiny portion of overcooked stringy chicken and some rice. My partner's main was a minuscule dry & tough pork chop served with half a plate of lettuce - laughable really as it was like they had run out of vegetables or sides.

We convinced ourselves that things could only get better with the dessert - and we thought our choice of mango sorbet was a winner..until we saw the waitress carry a large tub of the stuff through the restaurant, so it had clearly been bought in!!!

The total bill came to around €70 which was very poor value compared to the array of restaurants and bistros in Paris and the ingredients / portion size in our dishes.

Perhaps the set menu was the wrong choice and dishes on the main menu would have been better (although looking at the other reviewers are complaining about high prices) but in my opinion a set menu should offer value and perhaps cheaper dishes / cuts of meat.

We've both dined at Peruvian restaurants in London and I'm afraid to say this is nothing like the food we've tasted before.

2  Thank jennycarter3

Reviewed January 3, 2014

As i peruvian who frequents peruvian restaurants wherever i go, i can say this one is not bad.
The ceviche and tiradito where just good, too acid for my taste, the rest of the dishes including the desserts pretty good.
As price for money value , maybe the formulas (menu) are worth, but independently the dishes are quite expensive.
As per the service just ONE waitress for 10 tables at list, although the order came fast it was impossible to get a recommendation and i had to request several times the drinks and some other things. ( the waitress wasnt the kindest)

Reviewed October 6, 2013

Ok, this restaurant is consacred to peruvian food, but it will certanly give you the wish to go and search for more!...I went there with my inlaws, who are true gourmets and guess what:they got absolutely satisfied! The service was warm and charming. The aperitive drink comes with an small offered "tapa of the day" the choice on the menu is at the same time both varied and limited so you can be sure of the quality and freshness of the products...try the ceviche! That entry will tell to your mouth more than mi words!...Bemol, be sure to have a reservation.. And avoid the table below the AC...its a little claustro if you are in the corner...the rest is well.

Reviewed June 28, 2013

Ok, well i was wondering where to take my "inl-laws", who are french, to discover some southamerican food, besides what i have made for them. We found the restaurant in here (TripAdvisor) and as i have seen it when passing by the street...i said Ok, lets try... The restaurant is small.... They have good quality products, so they don't need a bigger space to make their day. I was a little bit worried about my choice because my inlaws are real gourmets....They just loved the Pisco Sour (aperitive) that they copied the recipe! and well then the entrance, the main, and the dessert! The Ceviche is delicious.... well nothing more to say,, just that i found my home*made flavours, they were pleased...They will come back with some friends

Reviewed June 3, 2013

Our first choice for dinner that night was dark, so we strolled the 8'ieme's back streets until coming to this charming restaurant. Opening the door and smelling what was being served made the choice easy.

It's a small family owned and operated restaurant that is not overrun with tourists. Check.

Its authentic Spanish paella for two was as good as it gets with just the right spicing (check) and plentiful, fresh meat and seafood (double check).

The original owner's wife walked about chatting amiably with both old and new customers.