“Worst Bus Tour ever”

$62.42*
Skip the Line: Louvre Museum and Big Bus Hop-On Hop-Off
Ranked #95 of 557 Tours in Paris
Reviewed April 3, 2014

We always do a bus tour of a new city as soon after arrival as possible, as bus tours are the easiest and best way to get your bearings, and learn a lot about the new city, and clarify where you want to visit in the time you have available. Do not choose to your bus tour with this company (Big Bus Tours are the same company, same route, same tour, slightly differently branded buses)

We boarded the bus at the Arc de Triomf stop. On entering the bus, the driver herded us away from the entrance, which meant that we were unable to pick up the headphones necessary for the commentary, and had to go back for them after discovering they were necessary. The commentary is all taped, not live. The recordings are quite annoying, as the music played between commentary is significantly louder than the commentary so one has to continually adjust the volume upward to hear the commentary, and then downward to not have shattered eardrums while the music is playing. Not very convenient if you are not the person right next to the volume adjustment buttons. There is a LOT more of the music than commentary. Long periods of time elapse between comments, which could so easily be used to give visitors information about Paris.
The route is very repetitive. We traversed the Place de la Concorde 3 times!! A number of other roads were travelled in both directions too, which is makes for boredom rather than delight in a new place.
When the bus returned to Arc de Triomph and we left the bus, we were dropped off on a little outcrop of pavement between the Champs Elysee, and the glide off to the underpass. It was not possible for us to cross the very fast moving traffic on the glide off, or to cross the multiple lanes of the Champs Elysee, so we had to walk along a 30cm (1 foot) wide piece of kerbing, as the pavement between where we were dropped off and the main pavement was blocked off with crowd control barriers.

The literature relating to the bus tour said that the tour lasted approximately 2 hours 15 minutes. Ours lasted 1 hour 15 minutes, for which we are very thankful.

4  Thank LesleyB

Reviewed April 2, 2014

This company provides what they promise in a friendly manner. It was easy to book online and activate our ticket on the bus. The buses arrived according to schedule. The drivers were polite and friendly. Highly recommended.

1  Thank William S
Reviewed March 23, 2014

This was a great way to see and learn the history of the great city itself. I learnt a lot on this tour but, for me it failed on one thing I personally thought that the commentary went on about the Eiffel Tower way to much. There is so much history and culture in that city yet everytime the tower was in view it was "and we can see the tower again which...etc etc". Now I can understand people wanting to know all about the famous tower, but for me there is so much more to Paris than one landmark, don't get me wrong I adore the tower just be nice to hear a lot more of other things too.

1  Thank James L
Reviewed March 18, 2014

We boarded the bus right in front of the eiffel tower, Its a good way to see the major attractions in paris especially when travelling with young children. Its a guided tour all you have to do is plug in your ear phones and listen which is nice as they have a few different languages to choose from. The traffic wasnt too bad when we went so that was good. I like the fact that you can hop on and off whenever you like. It was worth the money in my opinion.

2  Thank Fedz1980
Reviewed March 14, 2014

This was our first trip to Paris. I went onto the internet and purchased a 2 day pass and Seine river cruise. the best thing I could have done. This hop on hop off bus is fantastic. The first day we did the whole tour taking in all the main sites of Paris and the Seine River Cruise. The second day we hopped on and off visiting the places we particularly wanted to visit. Both the bus and the cruise had commentaries in English and other languages - perfect for the uninitiated! I would recommend this is the best way to see Paris and I would definitely use the company again - informative and good value for money.

4  Thank Anne E