“A Tuesday Dinner for two”
Review of La Petite Ardoise

La Petite Ardoise
Ranked #3 of 153 Restaurants in Fontainebleau
Cuisines: French
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Description: In a worm atmosphere, the team of la Petite Ardoise invites you to discover an original and home made cuisine composed of specialties from several regions of France. Our cuisine is also based on chosen and seasonal products. You have the possibility to compose your meal with starters, main courses and desserts or with small dishes (kind of french "tapas").
Reviewed August 6, 2013 via mobile

We had made a reservation by email, which was a good thing as the restaurant was full (10 tables ?) A menu in English was available. Three course set menu, with choices, was €27, a 46 cl carafe of wine €12. Fish of ghe day was sea bass, and my wife had that, I was envious. We would return.

Reviewed June 7, 2013

My wife and I had dinner here while in Fontainebleau on June 1, 2013.

This is a very good restaurant with a charming host who speaks enough English to get you through the menu if you don’t speak French. There’s also an “English” menu that the host says he puts together.

The food is excellent. We each had a “small dish” – their version of tapas French-style – a wonderful small lamb stew and snails in sauce. Both were terrific. The salad course was also excellent – very fresh and with a lovely dressing. My wife loved her sea bass and my pork ribs and frits was very good indeed. We shared desert – a small cake with melted chocolate inside topped by sea-salt caramel ice cream and it was perfect. Nice though not an extensive selection of wines. We drank wine by the glass and asked the host to pair wines to the food and he did a masterful job.

I recommend a reservation. This is not a big restaurant and there is some outdoor seating. It was fully booked the night we ate there and they constantly turned people away. In addition, most of the customers were French, I believe we were the only foreigners in the place that night – I think that is a good sign. It is well priced for what you get and a great choice for casual dining while in Fontainebleau.

1  Thank DCroamer
Reviewed April 6, 2013

I regularly visit Fontainebleau and this is hands down my favorite place. I'm so glad to see it rated so highly especially considering there are some nice restaurants in town. Great service and great food. I highly recommend!

2  Thank rajithavinnakota
Reviewed March 4, 2013

Everything about this place was excellent: the food, the service and the space.

First off, the menu was - as others have said - creative and fun. It was French-ish cuisine with fresh local ingredients. Everything tasted great. And it wasn't too pricey - €80 for two inc drinks and a coffee.

The service was astonishingly good. The waiter was happy to speak with us in our broken French or in his very good English, sans condescension. And he was the perfect mixture of friendly, polite and attentive. He took the time to explain the menu, specials and the wine list and because he was patient with us, we experimented a bit more than we expected (i.e frogs legs).

The restaurant itself is small and in some ways it's got more of a cafe feel to it than a restaurant. But despite it being a cold night in February, and the room being pretty much all stone/tile/brick etc. it was kept at a good temperature - not too hot, not cold. Despite the tables being quite close together, we didn't feel it was too small or that we were practically in the middle of others' conversations, as it sometimes can feel in smaller places.

We went to la petite ardoise on Valentine's day. There were some rose petals on the tables and we left with a rose in our hands at the conclusion of the meal with giant smiles on our faces and some pretty happy tummies.

Can't recommend this place enough.

Reviewed January 15, 2013

creative, authentic French cuisine, excellent service. the staff makes you feel welcome. good value but not cheap either.

1  Thank travipar