“Go for traditional well made food, not for gourmet stuff.”
Review of Le grand Cafe

Le grand Cafe
Ranked #96 of 485 Restaurants in Reims
Cuisines: French, Seafood
Good for: Large groups, Local cuisine, Families with children
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Neighborhood: Centre Erlon-Est
Reviewed July 19, 2012

This place is just on one of the most touristy street of Reims, almost side by side with other similar not so good places. The menu is very vast, but every single time I come back is for the huge and delightful moules and frites. They have several different types, but I always stay with traditional, made in white wine with onions. They are very good and the frites are also made the right way, and it's kind of refill, if you ask, they keep coming indefinitely. Another good thing is the champagne menu, with almost 50 different options, all good priced. This last time I also tried the desert of the day and it was also good. All this, and the fact that they operate long hours, which is not normal at Europe, keeps me coming back and again.

2  Thank amarques99

Reviewed June 22, 2012

I happened upon Le Grand Cafe on accident. I hadn't heard of it previously and had no idea if it was any good. The specialty of the house is mussels--over a dozen different ways--so I had to stop by. The place was busy and it had a good vibe.

I decided to go for the moules provencale. I wasn't expecting what I received but it was delicious anyways! Wow! They were so good! They came out in a covered crock. I took the lid off and they were steaming hot. The sauce was sort of spicy with tomatoes and herbs. The mussels were salty and cooked perfectly. Bread and fries were available to soak up all that good juice after I finished. I wish I had ordered champagne to go with my meal. Nevertheless, I persevered with dessert: a Dame Blanche (vanilla ice cream, hot chocolate sauce, and tons of real whipped cream). One of my best meals in France.

NB: menus are available in English.

2  Thank Chambiges
Reviewed June 13, 2012

Well worth calling in for one of their champagne cocktails and just to take a what was once probably an incredibly Grand Cafe, now sadly not very vibrant or busy.

Reviewed June 6, 2012

very friendly and the drinks where great but so was the company

1  Thank BornemMariacole
Reviewed June 4, 2012

This large restaurant, open all day, is popular with visitors. The centrepiece of the menu is a dozen or more dishes featuring Moules (served with frites) which come in generous portions. The base is a classic moules mariniere: the variations seem, disappointingly, to be created by adding dollops of sauce (in the case of armoricaine, not delicious) to the contents rather than preparing the dish as a whole. Next time I would stick to the basic version.

There is a wide range of brasserie dishes which cover French classics that are prepared in the traditional way; no need for the additions, modifications or Asian-fusion variants that are popular elsewhere. The quality of our food was competent and of a good home-cooking standard.

The atmosphere is warm and busy and the seats are comfortable. Service is professional and friendly.

A highlight is the wine list, which has about 40 vintage and NV at very reasonable prices, e.g. Laurent Perrier at 57 Euro and Pol Roger, a top NV, at 62. A meal for two, with a bottle of Pol, coffee and two XO cognacs cost 120 Euro - good value.

1  Thank TOB_HH

Been to Le grand Cafe? Share your experiences!