“2-Star Hotel, but Excellent Value and Location”
Review of Hotel Crystal

Hotel Crystal
Ranked #32 of 69 Hotels in Reims
San Francisco, California
“2-Star Hotel, but Excellent Value and Location”
Reviewed May 24, 2010

After deciding last minute to do a trip to Dijon and the Champagne region over a holiday weekend, we got stuck with no hotel options. I had checked at least 30 hotels in Epernay and Reims and finally got in touch with the office de tourisme to see if they could help. They alerted me to a cancellation at this hotel and I immediately booked the room.

Now I usually stay at 4-star hotels, but I have no problem with a more budget option, especially when we won't be spending much time in the room. The hotel was perfect for what we needed, but I definitely wouldn't stay longer than a night or 2, especially if I planned to be in the room a lot.

The staff was friendly and had explained on the phone that our room was on the 5th floor and the elevator only went to the 4th floor. That was no problem. The room itself was tiny, but again, was fine for just one night. There were 2 thin pillows, but I actually slept fine on the bed. The room was clean, the sheets and towels and everything were clean, but I did notice some tears in both. I was most concerned with the cleanliness though so it was okay. There was a little fridge in the room which was good as we had purchased some cheeses earlier in the day. The TV was a little flatscreen on the wall and worked fine.

The bathroom was fine, in fact, the shower wasn't as small as I've seen in some hotels. Not really many toilettrie options though so bring your own. There was a blow-dryer on the wall that looked to be high power, but I didn't use it.

It was fairly warm that day so when we got to the room in the late afternoon, it was hot, but we were able to open a window and it cooled off okay by the night. If you're staying in summer, it may be hot on those higher rooms where there's just a small window. Maybe they bring fans in, I'm not sure.

The best part of this hotel was it's location. I didn't even realise when I booked that it's on the main pedestrian strip. Literally you walk downstairs (down a short hallway so you're slightly back from the noise, but the sign for the hotel is on the main street), and there are tons of restaurants and bars and stuff. It was perfect for us as we were just there after a day of Champagne tasting, got dinner, went to bed and checked out the next morning.

Parking is right by the place and the hotel actually gives you a discounted ticket so it was only €8 for 24-hours in a safe garage.

We didn't eat breakfast at the hotel but there's a lovely garden just in front where you can eat.

I would recommend this hotel for its great value and superb location, as long as you realize you're getting a 2-star room.

I also recommend the Grand Cafe restaurant just in front of the hotel. Excellent mussels and fries!

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
2 Thank laurengucsb

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (34)
Madison, Wisconsin
Reviewed April 15, 2010

I have been to Reims three times and have stayed in Hotel Crystal twice - once in August of 2009 and again in March of 2010. Now mind you, this is a two-star hotel, not a four star suite, but it is clean, charming, quiet and has an excellent, friendly service staff. This hotel is centrally located, close to the railroad station and within easy walking distance to both the Cathedral and to the Congress center.
On my first visit to Reims, I stayed in one of the larger hotels. The food was excellent, and the room was comfortable. It was, however, completely without character. If you are looking for an inexpensive, charming, quiet, convenient stay on an economical tour, look no further.
As a footnote, on my way to check out, I left behind an automatic toothbrush and about $80 worth of prescription medications and other items. I sent the management an email, and all of the necessities showed up in my mail 10 days later without fuss.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled on business
1 Thank Biotecchie
Boston, MA
Reviewed September 16, 2009

What you would expect in a two star property. The room was very small, bed was in severe need of replacement (hard and you could feel the springs) but the walls were newly painted and the staff was english speaking. It was generally clean but did have a few random hairs found in the bathroom. It does have a cute courtyard as you enter the property. Good location for Reims and inexpensive price, but make sure you can cope with an uncomfortable bed.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Sportlaan
Cambridge
Reviewed August 14, 2009

Although the rooms are beginning to date (again) this is a great little old fashioned hotel in the middle of Reims offering excellent value for money.

Sadly the profusion of air conditioning equipment on the roof of nearby buildings means that it isn't as quiet as it was. But set back as it is from the outside square it is still quiet enough. Plenty of restaurants in the neighbourhood to choose from.

Cheapish (subsidised) parking in the underground car park outside.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
Kent, Washington
Reviewed July 20, 2008

A lovely little hotel right on the main street of Reims, but tucked back on a small alley so it felt secluded. The courtyard, where drinks were served in the afternoon, was beautifully planted. Our room was tiny, but nicely decorated and the bathroom was modern. Our window looked out onto the courtyard. Nothing fancy, but a very nice little hotel.

• Liked — The central location
  • Disliked — Room was pretty small
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Belgium
Reviewed December 2, 2007

We are just back from weekend at Hotel Crystal. Room not very clean, bathroom dirty. We found hairs from previous guest in shower, verty dirty bathroom door. Really poor breakfast for 9€ p.p. Croissant is good. Further only jam and for those who does't eat or can't eat sweet stuff only a not very tasty cheese spread. I will certainly not recommend this hotel. Hotelroom not worth 60€. There are other hotels nearby at reasonable prices.

• Liked — the location
  • Disliked — dirty bathroom.
  • Stayed December 2007, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank Suzy2610

Travelers are raving about these Reims hotels

Cowbridge, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 28, 2007

After an expensive touring holiday to Italy, we decided to have a more budget stopover on our way home. Hotel Crystal did the job. Walked in off the street and paid 62 euros for a double with 6 euros for the parking. To park nearby, head for Reims Centre, then follow signs to 'Parking Place Drouet D'Erlon' which is the underground car park right by the Hotel Entrance. The hotel has an arrangement for 24 hour parking there.

The entrance to the hotel is marked by a bright blue sign opposite Hotel Continental, you then walk through an alley past the kitchens of the neighbouring restaurants before you come out into the courtyard of the hotel. Bit of a weird entrance! I suspect we had one of the last rooms available as it was up in the attic on the 5th floor (the rickety old lift only goes as far as the 4th floor). As a result, we had high dormer windows you could only see out of if you stood on a chair. Otherwise, it was clean and comfortable with a big bathroom and of course in a perfect location for bars and restaurants - couldn't really be anymore central. As we were very tired, and had been to Reims before, we didn't stray far and had a meal in 'A Casa Mia' the one on the left as you come out of the alleyway. Very busy there and a good meal actually. We didn't have breakfast in the hotel, but chose to go across the street and have a cooked breakfast for a little cheaper. The cafes/bars for breakfast all spring into action about 9.30 in the morning on Place D'Erlon.

Overall, it was ok, but wouldn't stay on the 5th floor if you can avoid it.

• Liked — Location to restaurants/bars
  • Disliked — Being in an attic room
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled with family