“Not best value for money”
Review of Logis au Tambour

Logis au Tambour
Ranked #8 of 68 Hotels in Reims
Reviewed September 15, 2011

The hoel's location is about 20 minutes walk from the centre of town. We booked two rooms. They were small but clean and with good-sized bathrooms. The heat from the mini-bar warmed up our room so that we were obliged to have the air-con on all night, and in both rooms there was a regular grunting noise from the bathroom plumbing which kept our daughter awake. The breakfast buffet was fairly extensive and starred a special boil-your-own-egg machine. However, despite a notice on the hotel door which stated that reception was open from 7am till 11pm, there was no-one there for 2.5 hours at lunchtime and at 1 o'clock we found ourselves locked out of the garage where our car was parked, and unable to retreive baggage we'd left in reception (which we'd done with an assurance from the cleaner that she would be around). The situation was salvaged by a phonecall from the manager to his mother, who came and let us in, but she wasn't happy about it and nor were we. We felt we should have been given a time by which to remove our car from the garage - the lack of communication caused a good deal of anxiety because we were due to reach Dijon at 5 o'clock that afternoon. Altogether a stressful stay.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank funnyjaybird
There are newer reviews for Logis au Tambour

Reviewed August 29, 2011

Hotel Tambour was a last minute find on our driving trip around France. I went in to ask the receptionist about prices and managed to negotiate a comfortable double room with free parking for about 70 euros for one night.

The room was quite basic with a television, double bed, wardrobe, fridge etc. The bed was reasonably comfortable and the room was very clean and tidy.

The bathroom was clean and had a hairdryer; however while showering, I noticed that the shower glass panels did not work very well so a lot of water was leaking onto the floor – this could be fixed. We were also provided with one bath towel and three hand towels but as we were staying there for one night, it didn’t bother us too much.

The hotel is probably about 15 minutes walk from the town centre which we didn’t mind too much. It is situated in a very quiet secluded area.

Overall we were satisfied with the hotel for our one night stay; staff were friendly and helpful and we slept well.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 28, 2011

Friendly staff - good breakfast -parking available at 7€/night - city of reims easy to reach by car - small rooms but everything you need is available - clean bathroom - the hotel met our expectations therefore we were very satisfied about our stay here

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with friends
Reviewed June 17, 2011

I am french and I write in english as I think we (french) need to be courteous to foreign visitors and avoid to scratch our lovely country reputation with this hotel which is clearly not worth for the price! Being for the room or service.

We arrive and first surprise: our room is on the other side of the street, not explicit when you book online. So if you have children to look after from your room when they play in the swimming pool or want to go easily from your room to the swimming pool, forget it !
When we arrived there was a full 2 minutes before the guy at the reception takes care of us. You really feel that you're not awaited. Fortunately a charming young women came and had the attention for us that you can expect.

Our room was at the top of the secondary building (the one without the swimming pool), and the more we were going upstairs, the more I had the feeling that my disappointment was just at its beginning. My guts weren't wrong and I was really disappointed when I got into the room. In terms of quality, I had the feeling that it was just above cheap hotel like formule1 and certainly not worth the 80€ requested!
We had a very precise and close view of .... an electricity pylon when opening the window.
The shutters were broken so I had to block the light with materials available in the room to avoid being awaken by 5 am.

We thought to go by feet to the cathedral but when we asked to a neighbor it's at least 20 minutes walk and the quarter is nowhere charming, one of the worst of Reims.

Before leaving we complained to the main manager and she said that she was very surprised ... which is wrong when you look at other posts on tripadvisor.

We declined the breakfast as I was completely against spending more in this hotel, it should have been included in the price!

We were several friends to book in reims at the same time and discussing with them, it was clear that we had the worst place and not even the cheapest.

Wrap up: for 80€ there is much better hotels or guest room in Reims! Forget that one, it definitively broke my heart to spend 80€ there !

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled with friends
4  Thank jpdrums
pilou51, Propriétaire at Logis au Tambour, responded to this reviewResponded June 20, 2011

Mr.

Yes, you may have waited 2 minutes since we have to go with clients to their rooms.

since the hotel has two buildings the fact t hat your room was not on the pool side it is normal(you had room 41 ) all the more there are customers who prefer this side seens breakfast room is there.

When clients ask me to change of course we change them aside as possible.Everybody does not complain with a keyboard and in France when young children are around the pool parents should monitor them.

Concerning the flap it has absolutely nothing because maids have not pointed out;. There is a crank to close it down until it is absolutely dark.
I've never seen a Formul 1 hotel with heated pool of 27 degrees, steam room, massage , mini bar, air conditioning, courtesy tray with tea coffee available ...

The owner.

Reviewed September 27, 2010

Hotel is located far from city center.
But rooms are nice and clean with air conditioned, mini-freezer , TV, just very small.
There is free internet in lobby.
It is good place for staying If you have your own car.
There is a swimming pool , but it is not work during our staying (I think it is depends from season).
If you are going to late check in you should to inform about this to the hotel in the other way you can meet closed door and nobody on reception.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 17, 2010

My husband and I (both disabled) took my 83 year old Step Mum and my 80 year old Dad for a driving holiday in France. We booked this hotel from England in advance. When I telephoned from England to explain that we needed 2 ground floor rooms one double and one twin I was told I could do it online. The person I spoke to was nice but did not speak much English.
When we arrived there was great confusion as the double room (the only one available) was on the 1st floor. My poor old dad had to make 3 trips up the stairs with their bags as no help was offered. My Mum was in great pain after leaving the hotel as she is awaiting a knee replacement. We even had to walk across the road to the other part of the hotel for our breakfast.
When we arrived there was no parking available anywhere until a member of staff went home and we were able to use the only disabled bay. A young and very friendly English speaking hotel staff member showed us the best place in town to get a meal. Thank goodness we had a sat nav with us as Reims city had more roads closed than open and had the most deviations I have ever seen, even the road the hotel was in was closed at one end.
Before going out for our evening meal, I sat in a small garden area for a cigarette and watched a young lady press a button to close the lovely looking clean pool with an electric cover. What a shame no ashtrays were to be seen, I had to use the flower beds like everyone else had. After our meal we all sat in this area and I set my lap top up so that we could plan our route and hotel for the next day. Whilst trying to set this up my dad had been upstairs and got his maps out. Suddenly we were plunged into darkness. All we could see was a dimly lit exit sign. It was time for the young lady to go home. She kindly showed my dad where the button was to light the hallway. It was on a timer and lasted less than 2 minutes. Meanwhile I was unable to gain access to the FREE WiFi even though I had been given a code. We gave up and my parents went off to bed with great difficulty as the lights kept going out. I had to push the light button 4 times then my dad had to do the same on the top landing as my mum struggled to get up the stairs. This was very stressfull and very dangerous.
There was no lounge and certainly no bar area and no staff left on the premises.
Before retiring my husband and I wanted a hot drink so, I put the kettle on for a cuppa. There was one tea bag and one coffee strip and one sugar lump and only one cream carton for both of us to share. Do they not realise in France that English people like milk in their tea not lemon and some of us prefer a milky coffee too?
I had to get up and open our door at 4 am as our room had become very hot and stuffy, we had tried the airconditioning but it was too noisy to sleep with it on. I was pleased to see that some night lights were now working in all areas.
My dad and I had arranged a morning dip in the pool (one reason we chose this hotel) but after rising early and even after breakfast it remained closed. It was already a really hot day.
After my dad had managed to get all their bags downstairs himself again, we quickly made our way out of town to the nearest cafe so that we could plan our route. We really wanted to visit the Cathedral but after the nightmare of driving in Town the previous evening we could not risk going back.

• Stayed: September 2010
4  Thank DameCelia
Reviewed September 7, 2010

After a long drive up from the south of France the hotel was a quiet retreat for an overnight stop. Still warm enough for the pool to be open we started our stay with a swim. Half of the hotel is arranged like a motel around the swimming pool and it was this part we stayed in. Very quiet and comfortable although the room was very small but as we were there only one night this wasn't a problem. On a Sunday so we had to walk 15 minutes into Reims main square to get something to eat. The owners were very helpful.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled as a couple